Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 17 Jul 2012, 10:31 (Ref:3107513)   #1
safetysam
Rookie

safetysam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kart Club Meetings

I attended a kart club meeting (I won't say where for reasons that will become obvious) as a spectator for the first time last weekend and was shocked at what I saw.

Firstly karts released from the dummy grid while two karts from the previous race, are being pushed back on trollies along the back straight causing a waved yellow to be shown on the warming up lap.

Then a marshal who left his post in the centre of the circuit at the end of one race returns part way through the next and, whilst the karts are still racing climbs over the fence and waits on the perimeter grass (about 6ft from the track) on the exit from the hairpin. No yellow flags shown or any other warning given to the drivers.

I had thought about doing some kart club meetings but this put me off. Is it the norm in this type of meeting??
Old 17 Jul 2012, 12:46 (Ref:3107556)   #2
The Flagman
Racer

The Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we have to understand that Kart racing differs significantly from car racing. Not able to comment on specifics as we don't know where this occurred.

It is not unusual for Karts to be released to the warm up lap whilst Karts are still on circuit being recovered - there is usually a safe path for the recoveries prior to the start of the race. Sounds like this one occasion they did get it wrong. All part of a desire to keep things moving?

You will have noticed that Karting is non-stop so one race ends another begins. Often clubs have to run ambitious programmes and cannot afford delays.

It is customary for Marshals to take breaks during the racing programme - there is usually a stand down regime agreed with the chief marshal. Other posts provide cover.

Again it is customary to see people on circuit - much closer than in car racing. Sometimes they are Marshals sometime Clerks who want to be highly visible to naughty drivers. Karts have much less energy than a car due to minimal weight. They stop much quicker than cars so the risk is less.

Most Kart circuits are constantly in need of extra marshals. Well worth contacting a chief marshal and ask for guidance whilst trying it out. It can be exciting as the racing is often much closer than with cars. Frequent changes of lead/position etc. Over time you see drivers develop their skills and increase in confidence and you know you could be seeing the GP drivers of the future.

This weekend at PFI near Newark we have the European Championship finale where the cream of young karters will be competing. Just short of 240 in total. Anybody interested can pm me and I'll see what I can do to facilitate spectators.

Don't be put off - give it a go at your local circuit.

David Morgan
Old 17 Jul 2012, 17:12 (Ref:3107624)   #3
Mark Noble
Racer

England
Warrington
Mark Noble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark Noble
Chief Marshal, MBKC

Karting is a totally different discipline to cars and is worth a try to see how a meeting runs first. Karts shouldn't be released until the circuit is clear - that's policy for all races as there is no course car to guide them through a recovery.

Clerks and officials do wonder round the infield of the tracks to see maximum areas of action - there are no control towers. Officials do leave post for breaks if no down time is incorporated. At three sisters, we are fortunate enough to (usually) have 2 per post so can afford relief. Roaming incident marshals, or me as CM, cover whilst that happens.

With us, that is always done in a safe manner, causing no harm to anyone. But...karts do leave the circuit at high speed and have been known to destroy the surrounding areas! We are always wary of that.

Unfortunately, we have no idea where you are or where you are talking about, but if you are near Wigan, you could give karts a try with us and see what it's really about.
Old 17 Jul 2012, 18:56 (Ref:3107671)   #4
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Noble View Post
Mark Noble
Chief Marshal, MBKC

Karting is a totally different discipline to cars and is worth a try to see how a meeting runs first. Karts shouldn't be released until the circuit is clear - that's policy for all races as there is no course car to guide them through a recovery.

Clerks and officials do wonder round the infield of the tracks to see maximum areas of action - there are no control towers. Officials do leave post for breaks if no down time is incorporated. At three sisters, we are fortunate enough to (usually) have 2 per post so can afford relief. Roaming incident marshals, or me as CM, cover whilst that happens.

With us, that is always done in a safe manner, causing no harm to anyone. But...karts do leave the circuit at high speed and have been known to destroy the surrounding areas! We are always wary of that.

Unfortunately, we have no idea where you are or where you are talking about, but if you are near Wigan, you could give karts a try with us and see what it's really about.
I can give a massive thumbs up to the marshals at 3 sisters. I've raced there for a few years while mark and other oulton regulars have been marshalling. Thankfully I've never been shown the blue or black flag....now that would be embarresing!!!