Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Sep 2004, 09:02 (Ref:1090653)   #1
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Panis will become Toyota Test Driver

Olivier Panis will become Toyota’s third driver for 2005 after deciding to retire from competitive F1e racing at the end of the season. Panis has signed a two-year deal with the team, to include testing, promotional and advisory roles.

http://www.formula1.com/news/2163.html
Old 9 Sep 2004, 09:03 (Ref:1090654)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
However, I guess, he won't be able to be the Friday tester because he has driven over six races in the last two years. A shame for him (if this rule still applies nect year).
Old 9 Sep 2004, 09:39 (Ref:1090681)   #3
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"deciding to retire" - funny!
Old 9 Sep 2004, 09:48 (Ref:1090684)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That was my first thought as well Testure - it's nto relaly a 'decision' when you've got no other option. It could be quite a coup for Toyota to be keeping him on - he seemed to do very well in his season as McLaren tester. I guess they've offered him a sum of money he simply couldn't get racing in ChampCars or DTM or elsewhere.
Old 9 Sep 2004, 09:55 (Ref:1090691)   #5
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its should be forced to retire?
Old 9 Sep 2004, 11:41 (Ref:1090756)   #6
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Panis will become Toyota Test Driver

Quote:
Originally posted by Led ZeppF1
Olivier Panis will become Toyota’s third driver for 2005 after deciding to retire from competitive F1e racing at the end of the season. Panis has signed a two-year deal with the team, to include testing, promotional and advisory roles.

http://www.formula1.com/news/2163.html
You know what that's great for him. Toyota is looking to move in a different direction and Olivier is getting very old. It sounds as if he'll have a number of different roles and it also sounds as if Toyota was actually keen on retaining his technical ability. Me thinks it's actually a good move for both of them. Keeps Olivier in F1 and allows toyota to maybe finally plant their feet for the future with a pretty damn good driver and team player.

Congrats.
Old 9 Sep 2004, 12:28 (Ref:1090808)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Olivier is one of the most genuine drivers in F1.

If he says he's decided to retire, I actually believe him.

I wish him well in his new role.

And he leaves racing with a win on his CV - something very few drivers ever manage.
Old 9 Sep 2004, 13:06 (Ref:1090842)   #8
nkh
Racer

Denmark
Copenhagen
nkh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and in Monaco of all places in a french car(!)
Old 9 Sep 2004, 14:39 (Ref:1090917)   #9
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Just a thought. Maybe this is wildly off, but here's a thing: as 'third driver', even if he's not their Friday tester, Panis will, presumably, also be reserve driver, first in line to be called up to fill an unexpected vacancy. There have been persistent rumours about Schumacher's fitness, and suggestions that he could be dropped after a few races next year if the Monza and Indianapolis shunts have had long-term effects. Maybe Panis has read these rumours too, and reckons that, by staying on as 'third driver', he may find himself back in a Toyota race seat early next year? Or is that too labyrinthine?
Old 9 Sep 2004, 14:58 (Ref:1090924)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think that kind of plan is in Panis thoughts at this stage.

Keeping him as reserve driver makes perfect sense as he knows the team well and can slot in, but I genuinely believe him when he says this is a retirement - albeit with the possibility of filling in where required.
Old 9 Sep 2004, 15:38 (Ref:1090949)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Actually I'd take BSchneiderFan's comment the other way around - Toyota may feel that having Panis on the team gives them an option to include in the race team if Ralf isn't up to standard after his crashes? They might feel that he'd be able to do a better job (epseically in the short term) than Briscoe, and once you factor in that the latter could continue as Friday tester, it might be a good option?
Old 9 Sep 2004, 15:49 (Ref:1090960)   #12
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Good point Boots, and I agree with KB; there's no need for cynicism concerning his announcement. OP has always been a class act ... and underrated, imo.
Old 9 Sep 2004, 16:10 (Ref:1090977)   #13
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Though it's a shame that Panis will be lost to racing for a while. Norbert Haug had talked about finding him a DTM seat.
Old 9 Sep 2004, 16:15 (Ref:1090983)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

I'd have liked to see Olivier in the DTM, but this Toyota job is probably something he felt he couldn't turn down.

I think he'll be good at helping develop the young driver programme.
Old 9 Sep 2004, 16:21 (Ref:1090992)   #15
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well he has had a reasonably good carrer.
I can't see this being a sabatical and returning in 2006 like he did in 2000 from 3rd driver at Mclaren to a longside Villenuve at BAR.
Old 9 Sep 2004, 16:27 (Ref:1091002)   #16
BARrouette
Racer

BARrouette should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Panis will be one of the best test driver if not the best right now.
The guy know a lot about optimizing a car.
Old 9 Sep 2004, 16:44 (Ref:1091023)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by luke
I can't see this being a sabatical and returning in 2006
Indeed.

That's why he's announced his retirement
Old 9 Sep 2004, 16:50 (Ref:1091034)   #18
bt44
Rookie

bt44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't knock the guy myself. He may have not hit the highest echelons but, as many have said, Monaco 96, some great drives in mid-table cars etc. I wish him well. "Forced to retire", "deciding to retire" comments are not a fair reflection on what has been a respectable job done over many years. Bootsontheside's opinion on him becoming a valuable reserve if Ralf should not be fit is very succint - a logical call by Toyota. He may have not made it all the way to the top but this guy is respected by many for good reason. I for one am sure that he will continue to do a good job for Toyota helping develop future cars and drivers. His career in single seaters is probably coming to a logical end but consider all his achievements, he is likely to continue to contribute in testing and possibly sportscars going forward.

Bonne Chance Olivier
Old 9 Sep 2004, 16:54 (Ref:1091041)   #19
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Excellent 1st post bt44. Welcome!
Old 9 Sep 2004, 17:13 (Ref:1091067)   #20
bt44
Rookie

bt44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Kirk
No offence to Testure and Led Zeppf1 for quoting, I am sure that they are only joking, plus I must give credit to bschneiderfan for being the first on the Ralf sub theory!
Anyway I hope to be back posting soon

BT44
Old 9 Sep 2004, 17:23 (Ref:1091078)   #21
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Welcome BT44, I sense a lot of enthusiasm for Panis in your words.

My guess is that, if Toyota feel that Ralf is no longer the driver he was before thes crashes (and, in truth, he hasn't seemed the same since Monza - maybe the extended break and new opportunity will help him recover fully), they would use Panis for 2005 as a stop-gap, before hiring a younger driver (maybe Davidson or Sato?) for 2006?
Old 9 Sep 2004, 17:29 (Ref:1091083)   #22
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BARrouette
Panis will be one of the best test driver if not the best right now.
The guy know a lot about optimizing a car.

BARrouette, most test drivers are good.....just look at Alex Wurz and Anthony Davidson and co.

I think it's time to bring in 3 car teams or if thats not possible just only do it for the smaller teams like they do on fridays.
Old 9 Sep 2004, 17:40 (Ref:1091100)   #23
CleanTone
Racer

Romania
Colentina
CleanTone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's the point in singing an old driver as a 3rd when you have 2 main drivers around 30 y?
Old 9 Sep 2004, 17:44 (Ref:1091106)   #24
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
CleanTone you have missed my point completly unfortunately.
What I meant was that I would like to see 3 car teams so the younger talent can come through.
Look at whats happened to Justin Wilson and more.
Old 9 Sep 2004, 17:57 (Ref:1091126)   #25
KRONOSJL
Rookie

KRONOSJL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It s a logical end for PANIS , who is a god driver but a not allways made good choices , and had a unlucky career (his crash in MONTREAL , and the "sport-crash" of PROST GP ! He is a little too old for drive a not top team (JAGUAR , JORDAN , etc...), and TOYOTA wants to change any thing for next season. and its perhaps a génius idea having an experimented test driver , and not a "rookie" , or a paying driver coming from CHINA , RUSSIA or ISRAEL !