Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 23 Jul 2024, 13:28 (Ref:4220355)   #1
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oulton Park Gold Cup

Timetable : https://hscc.org.uk/wp-content/uploa...metable-v3.pdf
Entries: https://hscc.org.uk/wp-content/uploa...Gold-Cup-1.pdf

Decent entries, apart from MRL.
Old 23 Jul 2024, 17:04 (Ref:4220377)   #2
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh dear. A 50 minute race for 10 cars bang in the middle of Sunday afternoon...
Old 23 Jul 2024, 17:08 (Ref:4220378)   #3
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
That's if all 10 last.
Old 23 Jul 2024, 17:52 (Ref:4220381)   #4
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I hope to be there supporting our PaulD in the CSCC modsports races......won't be there for qualy, though - I don't do silly o'clock......
Old 23 Jul 2024, 21:26 (Ref:4220386)   #5
Brynmor
Rookie

Brynmor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As an event it’s become rather a shadow of its former self (it’s a shadow of last year even). For a big anniversary the lack of a 60’s saloon race and likewise no 50/60’s GT race is pretty poor.
Must admit the HSCC seem to have almost abandoned anything but single seaters themselves, as a meeting it really needs taking back in house at MSV and promoting properly …I fear it may be only the 2nd I’ve missed in 25 years or so.
Old 23 Jul 2024, 22:08 (Ref:4220388)   #6
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They've dropped Thundersports altogether now as well when it seemed a couple of years ago it was gaining momentum.
Old 24 Jul 2024, 07:27 (Ref:4220425)   #7
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynmor View Post
As an event it’s become rather a shadow of its former self (it’s a shadow of last year even). For a big anniversary the lack of a 60’s saloon race and likewise no 50/60’s GT race is pretty poor.
Must admit the HSCC seem to have almost abandoned anything but single seaters themselves, as a meeting it really needs taking back in house at MSV and promoting properly …I fear it may be only the 2nd I’ve missed in 25 years or so.
MSV dictate which classes race at the Gold Cup and determine the timetable. The HSCC just administrates and runs the meeting.
Old 24 Jul 2024, 14:14 (Ref:4220460)   #8
Plantagenet
Rookie

United Kingdom
Plantagenet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPlantagenet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPlantagenet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynmor View Post
Well, only the 'posh' single seaters. Us riff-raff in formula ford 1600 didn't get an invite...again.

As for thundersports, they really struggle for grids and have done in recent years, perhaps apart from the marque events at Silverstone and Brands G\p.
Old 24 Jul 2024, 16:10 (Ref:4220472)   #9
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantagenet View Post
Well, only the 'posh' single seaters. Us riff-raff in formula ford 1600 didn't get an invite...again.

As for thundersports, they really struggle for grids and have done in recent years, perhaps apart from the marque events at Silverstone and Brands G\p.
HSCC in general has been in decline. The HTC, and both Roadsports grids have shrunk, the 80's grid was a failure, the new Modsports series hardly even musters 10 cars, the Touring legends has been a lil embarassing and looks like a cheap cash in

Thundersports in '21 and '22 was at its peak and then literally fell of a cliff .

Premier events like Silverstone GP and Brands GP have either dissappeared or become a basic clubbie only boosted by external series like Monoposto or NKHTGT.

This event would probably be in a worse shape if the HSCC was still the main host much like with the MRL or Masters events which have become poorly attended and bland.

Thats a lot of negative so its nice too see a good HGPCA grid and Formula Fords doing better!
Old 25 Jul 2024, 08:45 (Ref:4220536)   #10
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Perhaps it's a case of too many organisers trying to cash in on two few cars? Then if the races have poor grids you get few spectators.
Old 25 Jul 2024, 12:45 (Ref:4220550)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
I understand there will be a few more than ten but, once again, it isn't good.

I shall be there all weekend.
Old 26 Jul 2024, 06:02 (Ref:4220604)   #12
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A detached retina last Saturday means the planned weekend at the Gold Cup for son’s birthday has been cancelled, sadly. Excellent work by NHS has reattached the retina; now need to wait to see how it goes. No driving for the moment. Fortunately not my camera eye. Fortunately also just after the bucket list trip to the Glen, Road America and Mid-Ohio.
Old 26 Jul 2024, 09:36 (Ref:4220619)   #13
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
No driving for the moment. Fortunately not my camera eye. Fortunately also just after the bucket list trip to the Glen, Road America and Mid-Ohio.
But good that the eye fix worked.

It's a sod not being able to drive. I've has two spells of not driving in the last couple of years (both health related, not totting up!) and it's so inconvenient having to rely on others to take you places (silly things like a trip to the tip or to B&Q for a tin of paint). We have a good bus service where I live but a trip to the nearest B&Q would involve a bus in to town then another out to B&Q then two buses again to get home. It would take over 50 mins for the outward journey (providing connecting buses matched up) and the same for the return. The car journey there and back plus the time in the store would only be 40/45 minutes. At least the bus would be free.
Old 26 Jul 2024, 17:11 (Ref:4220652)   #14
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
A detached retina last Saturday means the planned weekend at the Gold Cup for son’s birthday has been cancelled, sadly. Excellent work by NHS has reattached the retina; now need to wait to see how it goes. No driving for the moment. Fortunately not my camera eye. Fortunately also just after the bucket list trip to the Glen, Road America and Mid-Ohio.

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery. Its 15 years plus since I had a health related six-months ban from driving, and I can still remember the inconvenience......
Old 26 Jul 2024, 17:20 (Ref:4220653)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Sorry to read of your woes but very pleased to know, you are on the mend.
Old 26 Jul 2024, 17:23 (Ref:4220654)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
In other news, Iain and son Stuart are here playing with recalcitrant 500s. Iain has contracted "Morgan" disease and is having to input his password every time he logs on. Hence radio silence.
Old 26 Jul 2024, 18:20 (Ref:4220660)   #17
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Hence radio silence.
May be iain is preparing a come back in the F1 field. You never know!
Old 27 Jul 2024, 09:03 (Ref:4220715)   #18
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Excellent paddock wander yesterday. Not seen so many cars here in years for this event.
Old 28 Jul 2024, 21:00 (Ref:4220929)   #19
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Didn't know Iain was there or I'd have tried to find him yesterday. Wide range of cars there for sure, although not all the racing was close......
Old 28 Jul 2024, 21:12 (Ref:4220931)   #20
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Looking at the TSL results the Historic Touring Cars, Tony Dron Trophy, 60s Touring Car Challenge & U2TC (and breathe!) race was a lot more underwhelming than it sounded....only 7 finishers, with two of them 5 and 8 laps down, respectively....

The CTCRC races on the BTCC support package at Croft were superb on TV, though!
Old 29 Jul 2024, 10:18 (Ref:4220984)   #21
brands
Veteran

Enjoyable meeting.
Very nice to have 10 F5000s and the biggest grid of 500cc I've seen in years. Best racing was in the HGPCA doubleheader.
The Gold Cup should follow the Thruxton historic and dump MRL until they can guarantee a decent sized grid.
Well worth all the travelling and it will be on our 2025 calendar.
Old 29 Jul 2024, 11:51 (Ref:4220994)   #22
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Good afternoon,
No steering for me recently just spannering. Great to see Peter and chat about the old Rover SD1 adventures we had.I thought the Gold Cup meeting had a little of its old self from years ago and enjoyed the weekend.I was fortunate to be involved with various race series and there was no shortage of food. The best was from the 500 crew. We had a wonderful evening Saturday remembering the great Roy Hunt.He gave his 500 to the association to sell and they were told to use the money for a good old knees up and bash. Lovely evening with some great memories of Roy who sadly for me I did not know him that well but I do remember him borrowing my welding bottles few years back.
The Arnott F3 we run is not going to be used next year so the owner has told me to race the car when ever i want next year." Happy days "
Went to Brno couple of weeks ago and again that was a brilliant weekend.The funny story is that I got invited to go around the old circuit on a bus. Well when everyone started clapping and thanking the organizer at the end I woke up." Very embarrassing".
Back behind the wheel next weekend as i have been invited to race a Lotus 22 at Copenhagen so very much looking forward to that.
I shall keep you all posted . Delta.
Old 30 Jul 2024, 06:42 (Ref:4221114)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
As mentioened, Iain and Stuart prepping an F500
Attached Thumbnails
GC 26_07_24 (517) copy.jpg  
Old 30 Jul 2024, 07:41 (Ref:4221117)   #24
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Love that picture . Thanks Pete . Password all sorted . Happy days
Old 30 Jul 2024, 16:07 (Ref:4221186)   #25
Brynmor
Rookie

Brynmor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
Enjoyable meeting.
Very nice to have 10 F5000s and the biggest grid of 500cc I've seen in years. Best racing was in the HGPCA doubleheader.
The Gold Cup should follow the Thruxton historic and dump MRL until they can guarantee a decent sized grid.
Well worth all the travelling and it will be on our 2025 calendar.
Funny you mention the format of Thruxton, I’ve mentioned to Rodger from Mighty Minis they’d actually be a good fit at the Gold Cup now.

I went on Sunday and had an ok day, Oulton were obviously trying with staff clothing etc…a couple of tweaks to the entry mix and bring back a few legends / displays and it would be right back up there.