Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Oct 2001, 05:57 (Ref:161804)   #1
Crash and Burn
Racer

Crash and Burn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Button and 2002

Jenson Button has refused to let a difficult season with the Benetton team dim his hopes of becoming the next British world champion as he looks ahead to a positive 2002.
At the start of this year Benetton were struggling even to out-qualify the Minardis, but Button is delighted with the team’s improvement in the second half of the season and if new owners Renault can maintain that progress he is confident they can challenge for race victories in 2002.

"A lot of other teams don't seem to have improved during the season, but I think we have and I think we're one of the best teams from that," said Button.

"So it's very promising for next year. I think if they (Renault) can make the same steps forward over the winter that we have made then I think we'll be able to qualify in the top 10 at the start of the year and win at Silverstone!"

Button, who will complete his two-year loan spell from Williams next season, has vowed to learn from his experience this year and take his new found knowledge into the 2002 campaign.

"It's been tough this time, but I've never let it get me down," said Button. "Everything has got better all through the season, which is good.

"For me, there have been a lot of low points, but at the same time it was getting better all the time. I have learned a lot. I've learned a lot particularly about setting the car up and how to understand the technical side of the job more. It has definitely been an experience."

Button will once again join the team's fitness expert Bernie Shrosbree, a former marine, in the closed season as he and new team-mate Jarno Trulli will be put through their paces

He added: "Over the winter I'm going to be training like ####. Big-time training. I'll do twice as much hopefully. I'm really into it and mentally I think it's going to help as well."

The winter training will include a week of work in Kenya, and Button is expecting an intensive and demanding time.

"I am looking forward to it because I am really enjoying the work now. I think it's great.... I expect we will be running around chasing lions and stuff and then running away! It should be fun."
Old 17 Oct 2001, 09:02 (Ref:161845)   #2
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think his 2002 season will be a success, especially after such an awful 2001. Good luck to him!
Old 17 Oct 2001, 09:42 (Ref:161861)   #3
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope Trulli whoops his butt.

For what it's worth, he will never be back at Williams.
Old 17 Oct 2001, 10:37 (Ref:161880)   #4
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope he can get it together next year. I was rather excited last year at the end of the season and this year has been a bit of a letdown. Then again, if I was young, rich, driving F1` and fighting off women wherever I went, chances are my performance wouldn't be as focused either
Old 17 Oct 2001, 10:51 (Ref:161887)   #5
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wish him luck - he's going to need it. Trulli's mega-fast.

Somehow I feel as if he needs a focus for his motivation, lets hope that the team are able to provide it.

He's going to to need one amazing year in 2002 to keep Williams interested.
Old 17 Oct 2001, 11:11 (Ref:161893)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So... Button will stay at Renault next season...
Old 17 Oct 2001, 11:13 (Ref:161895)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think having such a tough 2001 will really help Jenson in the future. As Murray Walker succinctly put it, "Any experience is good experience, even if its bad experience". Trulli knows what its like when things are tough as well, so it could be a good battle. And I would rule his chances of returnign to Williams out, not if Montoya blows Ralf off the track which seems quite possible.
Old 17 Oct 2001, 11:21 (Ref:161897)   #8
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
... not if Montoya blows Ralf off the track which seems quite possible.
Quite likely as it has happened this season.

Jenson needs to further develop his racecraft. No mean feat in a 2001 Bennetton.
Old 17 Oct 2001, 11:37 (Ref:161907)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Well I for one wish him every success for the new season. We in the Uk are all too quick to knock our sports men and women, where in other countries they get behind them and give their support. Go on Jenson, prove the miserable buggers wrong!
Old 17 Oct 2001, 13:20 (Ref:161946)   #10
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I think he it can go any worse than 2001 for button, so knowing this, I guess he'll have a better season next year. But he will be shadowed by Trulli, so, it's going to be tough for him.
Old 17 Oct 2001, 13:43 (Ref:161956)   #11
facco
Racer

facco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi
So... Button will stay at Renault next season...
It could be worst... Button at My BMW's.... (he doesn't deserves it)
If he learned to work his own setup, things will work. If he doesn't we 'll see how can Trulli helps him.

PD,Same thing will happen at McLaren.

Old 17 Oct 2001, 13:55 (Ref:161962)   #12
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Any driver that places his rear in a Renault, is a real man, I say(hint - i luv renaults!)
Old 17 Oct 2001, 14:57 (Ref:161993)   #13
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The stories that Button will be replaced by Alonso keep apearing, but maybe Jenson can go to Arrows??(Cosworth and Orange would like it).

HHF already said he would like to stay at prost, but the problem at prost is that Prost has no money, so maybe it will be Diniz GP...
Old 17 Oct 2001, 15:06 (Ref:161999)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Button has been confirmed at Renault and Frank Williams would have to agree to him being moved to Arrows. I can't see it happening somehow and think he will spend next year with Braitore once again.
Old 17 Oct 2001, 15:11 (Ref:162001)   #15
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend
Any driver that places his rear in a Renault, is a real man, I say(hint - i luv renaults!)

Alan, I pass that one !!!!
Old 17 Oct 2001, 23:39 (Ref:162306)   #16
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the rear seat of a renault Bon ?, admittedly they ain't great but I would hardly use one as a toilet
Old 18 Oct 2001, 12:56 (Ref:162466)   #17
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL