Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 2 Sep 2004, 11:34 (Ref:1084676)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Konica Minolta cease sponsorship of V8Lites

This rumour has been around for a fair while now, confirmed in Motorsport News this week....

The article suggests that the company withdrew support because when the Konica business was merged with the Minolta business in Japan, and the name of the combined entity became Konica Minolta that the people in and around the series kept calling it Konica and not Konica Minolta, so the Minolta part of the brand was not getting exposure... and that's why they left!

Interesting theory...

Some people still call the secondary series V8Lites....

So how will we differentiate the main series from the secondary series next year?

V8Lites, V8Smiths Crisps, V8Star, V8Swine...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 2 Sep 2004, 11:50 (Ref:1084695)   #2
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...V8 Vegie Juice?
Old 2 Sep 2004, 11:54 (Ref:1084698)   #3
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah interesting news.

The same article said they were negotiating with a few new companies. Should be interesting to see how this pans out, because Procar was just as successful as the v8 lites and has had trouble finding a title sponsor.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 11:58 (Ref:1084704)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I presume the Konica Minolta funding will assist a driver surprisingly well known to the Managing Director of that company to get a competitive 2005 drive
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 2 Sep 2004, 12:03 (Ref:1084706)   #5
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where will he go even if he does get that money. The likely team will have trouble getting a franchise in the current bidding war.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 21:56 (Ref:1085330)   #6
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
DRT- hrmmm, I would have to say that the V8 Lites have better crowd pulling ability and a fair bit of depth...
Old 2 Sep 2004, 22:26 (Ref:1085368)   #7
Racer Dude
Rookie

Racer Dude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about......V8 Demo Derby series!! That's if they keep the reverse grid.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 23:57 (Ref:1085412)   #8
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm assuming they don't want to be called V8 Supercars reserve grade........
Old 3 Sep 2004, 00:28 (Ref:1085428)   #9
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am guessing you mean Mr Gurr? Does it have to be a Holden?
Old 3 Sep 2004, 01:33 (Ref:1085463)   #10
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Crash Test
DRT- hrmmm, I would have to say that the V8 Lites have better crowd pulling ability and a fair bit of depth...
I'd have a closer look. Procar has many times got more people to their races say at Wakefield, Oran Park (2003), Winton etc. I suppose the real answer could be the upcomin Mallala meet, which is being apparently promoted well by event organisers.

Depth wise, well I guess its who u comopare it to. In the whole Procar circus I'd say it would have more depth than the lites, but compared to NC, i can see your point
Old 3 Sep 2004, 01:43 (Ref:1085469)   #11
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just having a look at the last rounds respectively, there seemed to be a few more people at Mallala than the ghost town at Eastern Creek... time will tell, ey?
Old 3 Sep 2004, 03:17 (Ref:1085509)   #12
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Konica Minolta cease sponsorship of V8Lites

Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic

The article suggests that the company withdrew support because when the Konica business was merged with the Minolta business in Japan, and the name of the combined entity became Konica Minolta that the people in and around the series kept calling it Konica and not Konica Minolta, so the Minolta part of the brand was not getting exposure... and that's why they left!

Interesting theory...

Well if they rename it something harder(longer) to say, of course people will still call it Konicas, especially since Konica was still in the name. I only started to call it Konicas last year, finally letting go of V8Lites name. I suspect next year lots of people will still call them Konicas...will that make the next sponser pull out?

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 3 Sep 2004, 03:57 (Ref:1085526)   #13
Racer Dude
Rookie

Racer Dude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder how this will effect teams on the search for sponsors. The sponsor asks what series am I giving you this large sum of cash for????????

Maybe we may see a few of the current team sponsors disappear, then again most of the Konica sponsor aren’t blue chip types, normally some connection with drivers. So the status’qoe will probably stay for teams and sponsors 2005.
Old 3 Sep 2004, 10:41 (Ref:1085750)   #14
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Konica Minolta cease sponsorship of V8Lites

Quote:
Originally posted by gtr69
Well if they rename it something harder(longer) to say, of course people will still call it Konicas, especially since Konica was still in the name. I only started to call it Konicas last year, finally letting go of V8Lites name. I suspect next year lots of people will still call them Konicas...will that make the next sponser pull out?
Too true, however, sponsors come and go, the Lites need a catchy title like the V8 Supercars and V8 Brutes and stick with it for the sake of both sponsors and fans!
Old 3 Sep 2004, 11:05 (Ref:1085764)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally posted by pete55
Where will he go even if he does get that money. The likely team will have trouble getting a franchise in the current bidding war.
The Rt Hon. Mr Ray Kershler mentioned in the Daily Telegraph today that future Konica Minolta motorsport sponsorship budgets were being accumulated in order to run a racing car as opposed to sponsoring a motor racing series.

Given that the Konica Minolta sponsorship seems to follow Mr Gurr around to the different teams he has driven for (Smiths Trucks, IMS, SAE Racing, HYL & PMM...), it could easily be construed that the accumulation of sponsorship could continue to be used to support this driver in some capacity in 2005.

(EDIT: MODIFIED FOR CLARITY...... AND TO FIX AN ERROR MADE BY THE POSTER THAT BOMN HAS KINDLY POINTED OUT. THANK YOU BOMN.)

WARNING: FOR ALL OF YOU WHO READ ON FROM HERE, THIS THREAD WILL PROBABLY MAKE NO SENSE AT ALL.

Last edited by GTRMagic; 3 Sep 2004 at 12:21.
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 3 Sep 2004, 11:15 (Ref:1085777)   #16
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
GTR do not forget that Ray Kershler only write what Aussie Bernie tell him to.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 4 Sep 2004, 00:30 (Ref:1086465)   #17
FatBoy
Racer

FatBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Geez, talk about fast editing !! Ignore my last post as it makes about as much sense as the rest of my posts...
Old 4 Sep 2004, 00:37 (Ref:1086469)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Nah, I just put it with the other stuff.... there is another thread with all the original stuff....

I thought we could keep this one to talk about series sponsorship, not whether GTRMagic was a f***** or not....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 4 Sep 2004, 03:07 (Ref:1086509)   #19
laser
Racer

laser should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought this thread was 3 pages before, and I'm DEAD sure I posted on this thread as well ... seems the current moderator group here have been infected the same disease as another forum site

Goodonya GTR
Old 4 Sep 2004, 03:14 (Ref:1086511)   #20
laser
Racer

Actually, I've been told there were a few more comments on this thread that seemed to have disappeared into the ether as well pity I didn't get a chance to read them all.
Old 4 Sep 2004, 03:45 (Ref:1086517)   #21
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Actually laser the thread in its previous entirity is Here

And you shouldnt be so harsh about your own webforum!!

What this has to do with Konica Minolta not renewing its deal I dont know...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 4 Sep 2004, 06:02 (Ref:1086556)   #22
laser
Racer

Quote:
Actually laser the thread in its previous entirity is Here
My apologies ... I was confused when both pages of this thread were almost identical to the other one.
Quote:
And you shouldnt be so harsh about your own webforum!!
This bit I don't get, maybe I am just as thick as others
Quote:
What this has to do with Konica Minolta not renewing its deal I dont know...
Yes, apologies again for being offtopic, but the disappearing posts got me a bit wound up - maybe that is what you are eluding to (above), and I was meaning another site, not "mine"
Old 4 Sep 2004, 12:33 (Ref:1086687)   #23
Elwood
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne VIC
Elwood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And speaking of series' names can anyone think of a worse one than the old (Amaroo in the early 80's I think):

"Art Carved Diamonds / Permanent Pantry Clubman Series"

Now that rolls of the tongue...
Old 4 Sep 2004, 14:03 (Ref:1086730)   #24
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im glad that Konica, and therefore this year Minolta too, have been supporting the feeder category, and I certainly hope someone picks up where they have left off.

Konica seemed to have supported Steve Ellery for a while too, Id hate for everyone to think that there was only one person recieving the benefits of Konica's support.
Old 7 Sep 2004, 11:07 (Ref:1088899)   #25
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back to the possible names for the 2 series how about.."Taxis" and "Old Taxis"?