Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 14 Oct 2003, 22:21 (Ref:751473)   #1
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And now for Surfers!

Yeeee haaaaaa! Maybe I'm just a bit too excited, but I'm going down a week early

Who else will be making the trek down? The weather around this part of the world has been lovely, mid to high 20s, an excess of sunshine, really good surf conditions.... and appartently there will also be a race on! Will try and do what I did last year and post some updates throughout the week.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 22:23 (Ref:751474)   #2
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh I wish...you have no idea how much I wish I was there... it's just getting into winter here. All updates are greatly appeciated Crash Test, but try to resist discussing how good the surf is... .
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 14 Oct 2003, 22:30 (Ref:751477)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm going down with my sister and her boy friend, and they're into the water and sand side of things, but I know I nice little Irish Pub overlooking the beach

Also, I've invested in a decent digital camera, and I think I've got the ISP thing licked after copping a fairly mega phone bill last year due to the long distance nature of phone calls...

The first big thing for the week is this coming weekend just down the road from the track with a big street meeting for hotted up street cars and corvettes and things. Then there's the Miss Indy finals....
Old 14 Oct 2003, 23:27 (Ref:751520)   #4
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: And now for Surfers!

Let the party begin!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Crash Test
The weather around this part of the world has been lovely, mid to high 20s, an excess of sunshine, really good surf conditions....
Let's just hope it stays that way this year, instead of getting another drought-breaker!
Old 14 Oct 2003, 23:41 (Ref:751535)   #5
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
And it wasn't much of a drought breaker, because all of the rain was on top of the race track and not the water cathcment area!
Old 15 Oct 2003, 00:58 (Ref:751587)   #6
vatuloa
Racer

vatuloa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If anyone ever wants to know what the weather is like go to this website the race is just South East of Southport.

http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR503.shtml
Old 15 Oct 2003, 01:39 (Ref:751599)   #7
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to say Australia shows dedication, when I first heard that Chapcars ran in Australia I thought how the heck did they end up there, but after watching the race last year i noticed the great atmosphere. I just can't wait to see my first real race down there.
Old 15 Oct 2003, 02:04 (Ref:751611)   #8
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have fun, Crash, and pleeeeeeeeze tell us if Surfer's is as every bit as wild as they say.
Hope the Schumacher brothers don't show up and party there. There may not be any TVs left in that area!
Old 15 Oct 2003, 04:55 (Ref:751669)   #9
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
I think this will be my 11th or 12th Gold Coast event, and it just gets bigger and better every year. We get down there whenever we have a non-motorsport weekend, and it is a really nice place. But there are two weeks a year when the place really goes off- when the race is on, and during 'schoolies', the week after everyone finishes grade 12... but the Indy weekend is much more fun

A tip- the best place to start a Saturday night pub crawl is at the Shooters behind the pit lane, then it's an 8 bar stagger into the main party district
Old 15 Oct 2003, 10:37 (Ref:751962)   #10
Troy
Racer

Troy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its going to be a great weekend. Head down there next Wednesday and looking forward to staying right near the track at Main Beach for the week. Best motorsport event in Australia
Old 15 Oct 2003, 10:50 (Ref:751968)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nah, staying in Brissie and commuting is likely far more peaceful
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 15 Oct 2003, 10:54 (Ref:751972)   #12
TheMan
Racer

TheMan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The best part of the Indy weekend has to be the girls. Espescially the ones showing there breasts over the high rises. Well I am easy to get excited arent I. Got to love those breasts.
Old 16 Oct 2003, 00:24 (Ref:752787)   #13
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
GTR- I have no idea why anyone would want to spend uneccessary time in Brisbane

For a fair few years we used to drive down, but every year traffic gets worse and worse on the coast (at any time, especially now that traffic is diverted Surfers 365 days a year), and you have to leave earlier and earlier to get a decent park at Southport. Also, the trains are starting to suck. Not so much the trains, but the fact that the connecting bus stops every 50m to pick up another confused punter who doesn't know where they want to go... Saying that, one year we stayed down at Tugan, and at about midnight it took 2hrs to get there because of the number of punters on the bus... quicker to walk back to Brisbane
Old 16 Oct 2003, 14:21 (Ref:753305)   #14
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sadly, I will be watching the race on the box for this year. Hopefully next I can get up there. Have a great time Crash
Old 16 Oct 2003, 21:45 (Ref:753737)   #15
Aus.CARTfan
Rookie

Aus.CARTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lexmark Indy 300 Drivers Breakfast

Hello from a wet and cold day on the gold coast!!
Just to let you all know there is a drivers breakfast on thursday the 23 of october any one can come all the Champ car drivers will be there. It is like a media confrence but afterwards you get to talk to the drivers and get autographs. Tickets cost $45 and are available at Conrad Jupiters. I brought my tickets on wednsday and they are almost sold out.... so hurry up and buy some and join me there.
Old 16 Oct 2003, 22:36 (Ref:753810)   #16
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Having lived & worked at Surfers for the previous 3 years (in the accommodation industry), Indy is a pretty wild time.

I won't mention too much here but a handy tip for anyone staying on the Gold Coast then, AVOID ALL SPAS!!!!

Last edited by Gaz170; 16 Oct 2003 at 22:37.
Old 16 Oct 2003, 23:34 (Ref:753852)   #17
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Aus.CARTfan,

What do Aussies consider a "cold day"?
Old 17 Oct 2003, 00:49 (Ref:753898)   #18
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
It's low 20s degrees C and a bit wet, tomorrow they are saying it will be higher 20s and still a bit wet. Best off getting it out of the system now
Old 17 Oct 2003, 17:11 (Ref:754570)   #19
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
The low 20s is just perfect....without the rain of course. Tonight it's going down to 2 degrees C here in Toronto and winter is getting closer by the day.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 21:30 (Ref:754766)   #20
Aus.CARTfan
Rookie

Indy Family Fun Day !!!!

Hey guys just in case you did not know there will be a family fun day in pit lane on sunday the 19th. Ryan Hunter-Reay and Darren Manning will be there signing autographs. I hope to see you all down there let me know if you are coming so we can all meet up!!
For more info on tomorow go to www.indy.com.au

Last edited by Aus.CARTfan; 17 Oct 2003 at 21:30.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 21:57 (Ref:754783)   #21
vatuloa
Racer

vatuloa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The long term forcast for the first 3 days of the weekend is for fine weather in the high 20's. This will bring the girls out looking for that suntan.
Old 18 Oct 2003, 16:56 (Ref:755221)   #22
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I understand some of the drivers are there already.
Wish I was, too.
Have fun, y'all!

ps, AusCARTfan. Does "family fun day" mean people have to keep their clothes on?

Last edited by MLM; 18 Oct 2003 at 16:57.
Old 19 Oct 2003, 10:29 (Ref:755752)   #23
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Remember the telecast from last year, i think nearly all the drivers came here a week early and partied hard.

now its my turn! I hope i don't get tooo sunburned.
Old 19 Oct 2003, 11:11 (Ref:755792)   #24
Aus.CARTfan
Rookie

Indy Family Fun Day

Had a great day today in the indy pits. I met Darren Manning and Ryan Hunter-Reay , both very nice men. We were talking about track the condition and both drivers were very happy. The weather is not looking good here tomorrow(tuesday), we are expecting thunderstorms.
Fingers crossed the weather WILL clear up by race day !!!!!!
I will keep you guys posted..
Old 19 Oct 2003, 16:43 (Ref:756127)   #25
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Nabbed from another forum...........

More CART to Korea news...
...from today's Sunday Mail here in Brisbane, Queensland:

(not posted at news.com.au, so no link sorry)

"The Sunday Mail understands government officials from South Korea will visit the Coast on Thursday to meet CART officials in a bid to hold a race next year.

The South Koreans have had talks with engineers Weathered Howe, who build the Surfers circuit each year.

A Korean race would be a boost for the Gold Coast Indy, allowing transport costs from the US to be split between consecutive races"