Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 Feb 2003, 13:04 (Ref:503315)   #1
The Tool Man
Veteran

The Tool Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im Excited _ Sports Tonight

There was a add a short time ago for sports tonight and in it, Tim Webster said "A New Face in V8's".

Who and What is it I wonder ??

Is it Ritters Forbes announcement, the Pretty to GRM etc announcement or an early DJR statement.

Stay Tuned.
Old 11 Feb 2003, 13:11 (Ref:503323)   #2
The Tool Man
Veteran

Oh Nothing we hadnt already heard whispers about.

Alex Yoong may be driving in this years V8 Series (BUT WHERE), and is looking forward to the China thing in 2004 been half chinese and all.

They showed a glimpse of an HRT CAR in the Promo, maybe he may be part of the new HRO Line up. Maybe Not, Maybe in HYL. Or is it just that Channel 10 know of no other team than HRT.

Last edited by The Tool Man; 11 Feb 2003 at 13:12.
Old 11 Feb 2003, 13:16 (Ref:503327)   #3
Scott75
Veteran

Scott75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hard to say what team it would be, but one that is for sure he would bring massive sponsorship. I'm sure 00 Motorsport wouldn't mind it, then again I think every team would like that sort of sponsorship. If he does come over to race in the V8's it's prooving that we have a great championship. Even though he's not the best f1 driver there's been but he can still drive alright and it would bring more publicity to the series around the world.
Old 11 Feb 2003, 13:17 (Ref:503329)   #4
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if this is just all talk. There aren't any drives left, would he run Konica's?

Do we have another inductee to the growing retirement home of international single-seater drivers?

Last edited by racer69; 11 Feb 2003 at 13:19.
Old 11 Feb 2003, 13:21 (Ref:503335)   #5
The Tool Man
Veteran

The question at the back of my mind ? Is Max Wilson ACTUALLY Signed to DJR, or is he headed for a season in a 00 Konica Car or back home. Would Alex Yoong be that missing Link, or maybe just an enduro driver for 2003 and help which ever team with testing etc during the year ??
Old 11 Feb 2003, 13:26 (Ref:503341)   #6
Scott75
Veteran

That would be a surprise if that were to happen. I would doubt that DJR would take that sort risk, considering what happened last year.
Old 11 Feb 2003, 13:26 (Ref:503342)   #7
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm just wondering at the moment why?

Wasn't he meant to have a CART drive? He has said previously he wanted to get back to F1 in 2004. Wouldn't you try Indycar, CART, F3000 etc....surely his money could have bought a ride there. This would be abit of a step down and he will disappear as far as f1 is concerned.

Would Dick take a pay driver?
Old 11 Feb 2003, 13:29 (Ref:503346)   #8
Scott75
Veteran

I would say he would be after an enduro drive and then maybe a full time drive next year.
Old 11 Feb 2003, 13:31 (Ref:503352)   #9
The Tool Man
Veteran

That makes most sense Scott. More than having a drive full time this year. Unless its a Konica Drive.
The report on ST was very brief and not worth my initial excitement
Old 11 Feb 2003, 18:35 (Ref:503593)   #10
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently this story started on Alex Yoong's own website. He said he would prefer to be in champ cars but apparently was made an offer for this year by a team here.
Old 11 Feb 2003, 22:08 (Ref:503753)   #11
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Forbes could get rid of his son & hire Yoong, that way they'll be sure to have plenty of sponsorship & money behind them while not winning.
Old 11 Feb 2003, 22:19 (Ref:503771)   #12
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would say that he has no idea- since his budget can't cover a Champcar, he'd probably want to dump his money somewhere else.

BTW- what ever happened to Martin Brundel driving at Bathurst with Brocky?
Old 11 Feb 2003, 23:04 (Ref:503829)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alex Yoong is a very talented driver.

Getting to within 107% of Schumacher in a car that was not of the standard of his teammate shows that he has commitment and passion for his racing, and deserves to do well.

Mark Webber was the undisputed #1 driver at Minardi, not to denigrate his efforts in any way, but Mark got first call on any new parts, on the limited testing Minardi managed in 2002, and when the team's finances got dire near the end of the season, was given the car with the sole power steering system, as well as the uprated Asiatech engines when they arrived during the season. That Alex has said he was the Minardi sweeper at most circuits to set qualifying up for Webber is hardly surprising.

A driver cannot survive without testing... rust sets in, just from not being in a car, getting used to running it at speed, getting the best out of the tyres and the like. Same as in V8Supercar. I am unsure how guys like Nathan Pretty can just jump in a car and do reasonably well without any miles...

Davidson did no better than Alex in the second Minardi, however his fatal mistake was overdriving a car that could not sustain being overdriven, and accidents and blowups were the result. When Alex came back from his sabattical, the focus had returned and the pace was there, technical problems in the team not withstanding.

The reputation Alex has in F1 is one of a paydriver, which is not strictly correct. In most F1 drivers careers, drivers have had to bring sponsorship to the team, to allow the team to race, while being a paid racing driver by the team. Alex was a paid driver in 2002 with Minardi.

M.Schumacher, or more correctly Mercedes, paid Jordan for his first F1 race ride. Gerhard Berger brought his BMW connections and therefore engines to Arrows, then Benetton...

There is nothing wrong with not being able to get a CART drive... in the perfect world drivers would be picked on talent not budget... people like Max Papis would have a race ride too, but its not the way. I am not sure we should slam a driver for having connections that can be mutually beneficial for the race team, and more importantly for the sponsor.

Arguably if Malaysian sponsorship was the reason for Alex's existence in the racing world, you would have thought a spot at Sauber would have been guaranteed, with petrochemical giant Petronas covering the budget there for several seasons.

If Alex Yoong makes it into V8Supercar, the series can only be better for his inclusion. I think anyway. Good luck to the guy.
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 11 Feb 2003, 23:14 (Ref:503854)   #14
sevi
Veteran

sevi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wilson has signed.
Wasn't it on this forum that there is a post from someone O/S who said they were in champ cars now are looking to get into V8, now the china deal is done?
Now we know it is Alex.
Old 11 Feb 2003, 23:50 (Ref:503897)   #15
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't Edmund Irvine (I love to be 2nd) recently out of a job, and at Bathurst a few years back said while in commentary something like;

"This is proper motor racing.... I'd definitely like to come back (to Aus) as a driver..."

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 12 Feb 2003, 11:13 (Ref:504245)   #16
billyr35
Rookie

billyr35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah so has everyother driver in the world. Dario Franchitti and a number of CART/IRL drivers have talked a lot of coming and racing V8's for example. It is nothing new.
But cynicism aside you never know.
Top 5 newspaper headlines of 1999: "War Dims Hope for Peace", "New Study of Obesity Looks for Larger Test Group , "Police Begin Campaign to Run Down Jaywalkers", "Panda Mating Fails; Veterinarian Takes Over" and "Typhoon Rips through Cemetery; Hundreds Dead "