Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 30 Oct 2000, 12:06 (Ref:45844)   #1
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've just lifted this from the Combe website;

Quote:
Castle Combe begins half million pound improvements

Work has started on the largest single round of improvements in the Castle Combe Circuit's 50 year history.

Through the winter season, half a million pounds of upgrading will take place. These include a new hospitality and press room being constructed adjacent to the present race control building. The paddock will also be re-surfaced, vastly improving facilities for competitors, whilst a substantial upgrading of the safety system will take place at Camp, Quarry and Old Paddock corners.

The most noticeable of the trackside improvements will be the removal of the earth bank at Camp corner. This will be replaced by three layer armco, creating another four metres of run-off area. Triple layer armco will also be erected at Quarry and Old Paddock providing between three and four metres of additional run-off. Additionally, a further 500 grass pavers will be installed at key points around the track.

All work will be completed in time for the first meeting of 2001.
I can only assume that Howard Strawford is going to pay for all this work to be done in return for some reason, and puting 2 and 2 together, as there was a possibility of PowerTour going to Combe mentioned at the end of last season, I'm guessing that the deal has been signed. Fantastic, British GT's, F3's, Tuscan's Mini's - I can't wait.

Old 30 Oct 2000, 12:30 (Ref:45848)   #2
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you may be a little premature on this one, as no dates have been set for next years 'Powertour'... we can but hope..

I think the improvements that are happening, would have to be done anyway - that bank at Camp was just getting a bit much really, it'll be nice to have something solid to stand behind!!

Saw the new building foundations last weekend, quite a big new plot...
Old 30 Oct 2000, 15:25 (Ref:45894)   #3
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There has been a provisional calender out with a couple of tba's as venues, so here's hoping. I do agree that the improvements needed doing sooner rather than later, but I'd have thought the circuit would want some encouragement that one of the premier packages was likely to come its way, before investing the money.

Fingers crossed!
Old 30 Oct 2000, 16:27 (Ref:45907)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Marshal
I've just lifted this from the Combe website;

Quote:
Castle Combe begins half million pound improvements

Work has started on the largest single round of improvements in the Castle Combe Circuit's 50 year history.

Through the winter season, half a million pounds of upgrading will take place. These include a new hospitality and press room being constructed adjacent to the present race control building. The paddock will also be re-surfaced, vastly improving facilities for competitors, whilst a substantial upgrading of the safety system will take place at Camp, Quarry and Old Paddock corners.

The most noticeable of the trackside improvements will be the removal of the earth bank at Camp corner. This will be replaced by three layer armco, creating another four metres of run-off area. Triple layer armco will also be erected at Quarry and Old Paddock providing between three and four metres of additional run-off. Additionally, a further 500 grass pavers will be installed at key points around the track.

All work will be completed in time for the first meeting of 2001.

'bout bloody time. Maybe they'll put some decent management in as well. Then you mightjust have a circuit worth visiting.

Old 30 Oct 2000, 21:12 (Ref:45967)   #5
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You do realise that this means more bloody work needed on yet another circuit guide to get it ready for next season!!!!
Old 30 Oct 2000, 21:17 (Ref:45968)   #6
CAR 42
Rookie

CAR 42 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FORGOTEN HERO'S

Just one note to add
If it was not for the club racer's at castle combe were would the likes of Mr strawford be
I just hope the likes of use don't get S---- on just for the
sake of the power tour.

MAD RICK

P.s I am still here Dan thanks for the comments ref the mini
will drop you a line soon .
Old 31 Oct 2000, 07:51 (Ref:46025)   #7
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well that is the problem... get a lot of wannabe 'professionals' along and the club racer is no longer top priority!!

Would Pagids et al be allowed to race on the 'Powertour' package.. me thinks not!! (Although it would provide the best racing of the day).

Anyone got the book yet, is it worth a Xmas present??
Old 17 Nov 2000, 09:22 (Ref:48732)   #8
Marshal
Veteran

Getting Closer

The latest just got from Autosport.com,

This is the previsional British F3 calender,

Quote:
2001 British Formula Three Championship dates
March 31/April 1, Silverstone (International)
April 14/15, Donington Park (GP)
April 28/29, Snetterton
May 6/7, Oulton Park
May 27/28, Croft
June 9/10, Knockhill*
June 23/24, Castle Combe*
July 7/8, Brands Hatch (GP)
July 13/14, Silverstone (British GP)?
July 21/22, Donington Park (GP circuit)
August 18/19, Rockingham?
September 1/2, Thruxton
September 15/16, Brands Hatch (GP)
September 28/29, Silverstone (International)

* Subject to track improvements. Provisional events or dates are in italics
So while certain, its looking increasingly like Combe will have F3's and GT's next year. As for the pagids etc, they might make them race on the Saturday. Still keep 23/24th June free.

Old 17 Nov 2000, 09:29 (Ref:48733)   #9
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Not a bad calendar….

Important dates booked in diary already.

No Spa though… shame.

Interesting to note that 15/16 September 2000 is a busy weekend.

Powertour at Brands GP.
Goodwood revival meeting
Castle Combe 2 day weekend

What to do?? Goodwood me thinks.
Old 17 Nov 2000, 13:59 (Ref:48767)   #10
Marshal
Veteran

Did you really have to think about that?
Old 17 Nov 2000, 14:56 (Ref:48784)   #11
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Sorry, I wasn't tinking..

Last day at work you kno.. now slightly drunkk...

Can't wait until Setember - bing Goodwood on!!
Old 18 Nov 2000, 14:23 (Ref:48867)   #12
ozywoodwards
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chorlton, Manchester
ozywoodwards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there still a problem with parking space at Combe, as I can remember an event I went to in '98 was so popular that they nearly ran-out of parking room. I was just thinking that a powertour event might push this space to beyond its capacity, with the obvious consequences of people missing the racing and the local roads getting blocked up.

Also, if there is a problem, is there any possibility of expansion of their car-parks.