Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 16 May 2002, 17:56 (Ref:288232)   #1
Reido Rules
Veteran

Reido Rules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a waste of a perfectly good driver

I have found Toni Ruokkenen, he is doing Asian Touring cars and is dominating the championship. I watched him on Sky Sports today in the Phillipines and he won easily, and he was barely trying. It's a total waste of a good driver.

But he did say before the race that he is working extremely hard to get a BTCC drive, and that he is in talks wiht a number of teams and that his realisitoc goal is to be asian champ and to be driving in the end of the season. So watch out he will hopefully be back soon.

But hey at least he's employed.
Old 16 May 2002, 19:07 (Ref:288273)   #2
Reido Rules
Veteran

Yes I am completely aware of putting this in the wrong forum. I did this as a misatke, which ahppened because I am stupid.

Can it please be moved to the BTCC forum.
Old 16 May 2002, 20:38 (Ref:288327)   #3
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Firstly, where did you put it?

Secondly, shame he is out there and not in the BTCC with Mistubishi, like in 2001.
Old 16 May 2002, 21:27 (Ref:288379)   #4
Reido Rules
Veteran

Armchair enthusiast, nice of it to be moved without, the moved sign, which would make me look less stupid.
Old 16 May 2002, 21:47 (Ref:288390)   #5
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Sorry Reido. I'm only here to move threads. Making you look less stupid is not my job description
Old 16 May 2002, 21:57 (Ref:288400)   #6
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've seen him racing as well. As if the Peugeot 306 isn't good enough they go and stick Toni in it amongst a bunch of 'amateurs' !!! I hope he gets back to the BTCC where he deserves to be.

But as you say, at least he's doing something unlike other very good drivers. Anybody know what Roger Moen's up to this year ?
Old 17 May 2002, 04:24 (Ref:288555)   #7
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
moen the lawn

Whats Matt Jackson up to? He was better than Gareth Howell in the Focuses yet Howell is still racing? WHy how? I have noticed all the slower drivers stay in touring cars and the guys who do well disappear!!! So thats the secret!
Old 17 May 2002, 04:56 (Ref:288565)   #8
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mat Jackson is still looking for a drive, however he has limited funds.

The answer to David's question is simple £££££££££££'s
Old 17 May 2002, 06:58 (Ref:288614)   #9
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would like to see a bit more encouragement for drivers to move up into the BTC class from BTP.

As the BTC casr numbers increase, I think its inevitable that the prod runners will be given their own series, supporting the BTCC. This would give an ideal opportunity for TOCA to link up with manufacturer's and series sponsors to reward the top 3 finisher's in the series.

The winner, receiving a free BTC drive for the following season and the two runners up 'proper' test drive's and contracts working with manufacturer's. There's no point just awarding a 'free' car as Vauxhall used to, as the driver still has to find the budget to run it.

I think this would be an incentive for prod runners aand at elast ensure that the worthy winners had some gainfull employment during the following season.
Old 17 May 2002, 08:02 (Ref:288644)   #10
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A drive in the third Proton could be on the cards!
Old 17 May 2002, 15:12 (Ref:288976)   #11
Speeddemon555
Veteran

Speeddemon555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mat Jackson should be team up with Gordon Shedden in the second GR motorsport Alfa 147, if they built another car for him.
Old 17 May 2002, 16:57 (Ref:289039)   #12
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There is another Alfa 147, but GR are only interested in getting one car running succesfully at the moment.
Old 17 May 2002, 18:41 (Ref:289085)   #13
Reido Rules
Veteran

I think the appearence of a second Alfa, will depend heavily upon the success of the first one.

GR do have the twin car and have turned into a rally car, but it wasn't too clever (like me) , and I believe their intention is to convert it back to a Touring car if there is a point to running a second car.

Last edited by Reido Rules; 17 May 2002 at 18:42.
Old 17 May 2002, 19:07 (Ref:289098)   #14
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Hold on. I'm pretty sure it was one of the prodcution cars that were built that was transformed into a rally car, not the Touring car ??
Old 18 May 2002, 11:02 (Ref:289382)   #15
Michael H
Racer

Michael H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't believe that you Brits get to see the Asian Touring Cars. That would be great. We get nothing here in Australia, just V8Supercars.
Old 18 May 2002, 12:47 (Ref:289427)   #16
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Motorsports coverage has just exploded in the UK thanks to Motors TV www.motorstv.com
Old 18 May 2002, 14:27 (Ref:289482)   #17
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer
I would like to see a bit more encouragement for drivers to move up into the BTC class from BTP.
plenty have done, but you don't want the entire grid to be replaced each year, do you?

better support would be useful though. in the end, a touring drive is dead expensive.
Old 18 May 2002, 15:43 (Ref:289512)   #18
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I still have my doubt's that we will see a 147 this season. If GR are intending to run at Silverstone, why not attend the TOCA test at Snett this week? If the car's not able to run yet, surely we won't see it for some time.

I don't doubt their ability to do the job, just the usual budget problems's. Developing a BTC car does not come cheap.
Old 18 May 2002, 16:35 (Ref:289525)   #19
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
GR couldn't run at the test as they are not registered for the championship. I understand official tests are for registered competitors only. They will meet Richard West later on this week.
Old 18 May 2002, 19:37 (Ref:289586)   #20
Reido Rules
Veteran

It was a tourer which was developed into a Rally car, because the article said, ex-JSM 147 has been converted into a rally car by GR motorsport.

GR say that they are waiting for the car to become competitive, well I guess we'll never see it then.
Old 19 May 2002, 15:55 (Ref:290015)   #21
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
As far as I know JSM only built 2 BTC Touring Cars, both of which are with GR Motorsport. They did, however, build quite a few Production spec 147's, I believe there was 6 around at one point.
Old 19 May 2002, 20:57 (Ref:290066)   #22
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
JSM planned up to 6 Production cars butI don't believe they were ever built. They DID built one test car which was used briefly in the Alfa Owners Club series. That's the one which is now a rally car.