Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 10 Jan 2007, 01:22 (Ref:1810891)   #1
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8 Giants (merged)

An interesting new category is starting in 2007. The details can be read in this weeks MN. Might be the start of something fairly big if properly run, possibly at the expense of another category though. Sports Sedans will have to lift their game.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 01:26 (Ref:1810892)   #2
Sequel
Racer

Sequel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just what aussie motorsport needs - another catergory!!
Old 10 Jan 2007, 02:05 (Ref:1810907)   #3
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.v8giants.com.au/

I read about this catagory a couple of months ago. It sounds good on paper, but is there going to be enough competitor interest? Its a lot of money to build a car for a catagory that is brand new.
I would love to see it take off, a bit more variety.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 10 Jan 2007, 02:54 (Ref:1810932)   #4
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
seems very interesting, but as mtpanorama said it will be dificult to get competitors in to build a new car for a new category alot of $$$ involved.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 04:35 (Ref:1810962)   #5
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequel
Just what aussie motorsport needs - another catergory!!
Exactly. Is it an attempt to replace the failing Touring Car Challenge perhaps. I dont think the Sports Sedan guys would be concerned with this category what so ever. There is more probability of getting a full grid of Formulas 4000's than this taking off.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 05:29 (Ref:1810970)   #6
Head Rev
Racer

Australia
Australia
Head Rev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh dear, here we go again...................
Old 10 Jan 2007, 06:04 (Ref:1810983)   #7
FalconEL
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland
FalconEL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete55
An interesting new category is starting in 2007. The details can be read in this weeks MN. Might be the start of something fairly big if properly run, possibly at the expense of another category though. Sports Sedans will have to lift their game.
What have Sports Sedans got to do with this new proposed AMRS category for what appears to be "full bodied cars"???? Most of the current National Level V8 S/Sedans would have to remove two plug leads and drive around at about 6/10th's so a Touring Car Challenge car (ooops I mean V8 Giant) could keep up...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdyort
I dont think the Sports Sedan guys would be concerned with this category what so ever.
You said it jdyort.

Move along people, nothing to see here.
"I still can't spin the wheels all the way down the straight in high gear", Mark Donohue (The Unfair Advantage) commenting to the Porsche engineers on the 1100hp 1973 Can-Am Porsche 917-30 when asked whether the car has enough horsepower yet!!
Old 10 Jan 2007, 09:10 (Ref:1811070)   #8
XW GT
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
XW GT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AMRS grasping at straws?
Old 10 Jan 2007, 09:15 (Ref:1811082)   #9
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by XW GT
AMRS grasping at straws?
Why so negative about the AMRS?
Old 10 Jan 2007, 09:31 (Ref:1811098)   #10
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Why so negative about the AMRS?
Not much to be positive about. I waiting for the next "new" catergory from AMRS to replace this one...very much grasping at straws.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 09:51 (Ref:1811121)   #11
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like a renamed Future Tourer with a bigger choice of engines and we all know how well future tourers took off.
This is just another Ford V Holden V8 category, but wait! this ones different because you can build anything just like Future Tourers. Now what did Future Tourers give us? One Holden powered Magna (can’t remember any other cars) and a heap of Commodores and Falcons.

Come on guys how about a new category that’s NOT one make, Ford V Holden or V8 powered.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 10:26 (Ref:1811153)   #12
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The concept is interesting enough. With all the cars available. A v8 Ford Mondeo was even an example given.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 10:34 (Ref:1811163)   #13
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The concept is interesting enough. With all the cars available. A v8 Ford Mondeo was even an example given.
But it’s not a new concept. In Sports Sedans you’ve got V8 powered Calibra’s, Saab’s and Merc’s already plus your usual Ford’s and Holden’s.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 10:36 (Ref:1811164)   #14
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very true, but it doesnt have to be brand new for it to be interesting
Old 10 Jan 2007, 11:06 (Ref:1811207)   #15
pete55
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconEL
What have Sports Sedans got to do with this new proposed AMRS category for what appears to be "full bodied cars"???? Most of the current National Level V8 S/Sedans would have to remove two plug leads and drive around at about 6/10th's so a Touring Car Challenge car (ooops I mean V8 Giant) could keep up...........

You said it jdyort.

Move along people, nothing to see here.

CD, i was referring to the fact that the cars are in some way a similar concept and if V8 Giants were properly run could entice future or even current sports sedan competitors to consider that series. They are also not going to compete against each other so the pace of either class would not be of any consequence
Old 10 Jan 2007, 12:39 (Ref:1811320)   #16
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know if the Mondeo being built is going to be a *******ised Super Tourer? Will the 380 be a butchered ex-Production Touring Car? Will the AU be a *******ised V8Supercar? If they savage existing AMRS categories to field V8Giants, it doesn't bode well for the Touring Car Challenge/SuperTT/PTCC fields?
Old 10 Jan 2007, 15:30 (Ref:1811509)   #17
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it just me or does 'V8 Giants' have the smell of PROCAR about it? (Bernie's version, not Ross Palmer's!)

I'm a big AASA/AMRS supporter, but V8 powered Mondeo's, come on. I'd rather they open it up to any V8 powered car, so long as it is sold in that road going configuration. You'd still have the likes of Chrysler, Mercedes, Lexus, Audi, BMW & Jaguar etc..... able to enter 4 door cars.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 22:07 (Ref:1811828)   #18
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A lot of AASA/AMRS classes seem to be given new non CAMS names although they allow CAMS registered cars that comply to compete.

I'm thinking along the lines of HQ's being called 3.3 litre Holdens and so on.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 22:55 (Ref:1811858)   #19
FalconEL
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland
FalconEL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete55
CD, i was referring to the fact that the cars are in some way a similar concept and if V8 Giants were properly run could entice future or even current sports sedan competitors to consider that series. They are also not going to compete against each other so the pace of either class would not be of any consequence
I'm all for new concepts Pete, but to me this is not a new concept.

They are more similar to a "Future Tourer", "Commodore Cup" or "Improved Production" type of vehicle.

As a current Sports Sedan competitor, I would struggle to justify building a new 1500kg V8 (the $40K-$60K build price is a furphy - more like $80K - $100K), to go substantially slower than a Sports Sedan. I believe I could speak on behalf of the majority of current Sports Sedan competitors when I say this. (If you want to make a 1500kg V8 actually GO, the consumable costs would be similar to a HPDC V8 Supercar and the amount of maintenance required would also be extensive).

As for future competitors, I know how difficult it is to entice new competitors into a category - there is just not that much money around to justify the building of new cars, a point beaten to death in the "Sports Sedan" thread.
"I still can't spin the wheels all the way down the straight in high gear", Mark Donohue (The Unfair Advantage) commenting to the Porsche engineers on the 1100hp 1973 Can-Am Porsche 917-30 when asked whether the car has enough horsepower yet!!
Old 11 Jan 2007, 03:00 (Ref:1811979)   #20
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
Is it just me or does 'V8 Giants' have the smell of PROCAR about it? (Bernie's version, not Ross Palmer's!)

I'm a big AASA/AMRS supporter, but V8 powered Mondeo's, come on. I'd rather they open it up to any V8 powered car, so long as it is sold in that road going configuration. You'd still have the likes of Chrysler, Mercedes, Lexus, Audi, BMW & Jaguar etc..... able to enter 4 door cars.
racer69, I think you misunderstand on of the basic concepts here when it is spoken about lowering the cost of racing. Potential competitors are not going to buy Chrysler 300C's, Mercedes, Lexus, Audi, BMW & Jaguars. They just aren't. Why?

If say the cost of building a car to a set of regulations is $80,000, then that is $80,000 number does not vary much according to the badge on the car. So when you build that car you have to buy a car as a starting point. Now is your starting point going to be a $30,000 Commodore or a $60,000 Lexus?

People do not build racing cars out of prestige models because of the significant additional cost of buying the starting point vehicle and it is fallacy to think people will. If you then turn that around by saying, well why not by a used prestige model, then what is going to look better to a potential sponsor, a new car or a used car? Buy and large people are more impressed with a new model than a used model.

And additionally, even if you used an older model prestige car as a starting point, parts for prestige models, most notably panels, are generally more expensive.

As a further example, looking at Bathurst 12 Hours of days past. In the five year history of that race which had very open regulations for any models and one year a specific 'L' class for prestige models, how many were entered?

There was a BMW M5, a Saab 9000 and a Saab 900.

That's it. Three cars. Approximately 1%.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 03:23 (Ref:1811986)   #21
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks more like a graveyard for old V8 Supercars. Looking at the rev limits, theyve conveniantly matched 5L OHV engines to a 7500rpm limit, and also a 1300kg weight limit which isnt too far from the dry weight of the V8 Supercars either.

I'd struggle to choose this over Sports Sedans.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 11:36 (Ref:1812233)   #22
BFC
Racer

BFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
some current sports sedans would be inelligible because they have engines inside the cockpit not infront of the firewall as per regs
Old 11 Jan 2007, 11:44 (Ref:1812241)   #23
pete55
Veteran

I would think 99% of them would be inelligible
Old 12 Jan 2007, 03:40 (Ref:1812940)   #24
6th Gear
Racer

Australia
Townsville, QLD
6th Gear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mitsubishi should make a RWD 380 and enter it in the V8 SC's
Old 12 Jan 2007, 04:01 (Ref:1812944)   #25
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6th Gear
mitsubishi should make a RWD 380 and enter it in the V8 SC's
Hell I agree, all we need to do is convince TEGA & AVESCO.....