Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 7 Jan 2005, 03:23 (Ref:1194926)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Ethernet V's USB ???

Ive been on broadband for probably 4 or 5 months now but have just come across an interesting thing.

Im not super computer techie so alot of it i dont understand.

I have a standard modem which has both Ethernet and USB connections , all this time i have been using the USB connection because thats how I first hooked it up and it worked , so i just left it

now cleaning out my drawer I found my rhternet connection that came with the modem as well and thought I would give that a try to see what the difference is.

im using Ethernet right now and so far havent noticed much difference in speed or anything else.

so my question is , whats better ??

USB or Ethernet ???

what one should I be running or is better to be running ???

no big drama really as they both work fine Im just curious to know tis all
Old 7 Jan 2005, 07:58 (Ref:1194999)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
USB for broadband is more the "standard" - I've never found any reason to do anything other than stick with that.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 08:30 (Ref:1195014)   #3
Where was I
Rookie

Where was I should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ethernet = 100Mb/s
USB = 12Mb/s

If you're using ethernet leave it as that
Old 7 Jan 2005, 10:05 (Ref:1195090)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Given that the broadband connection itself is generally not more than 2Mb/s it makes little difference
Old 7 Jan 2005, 10:34 (Ref:1195118)   #5
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But it does free up a USB port for plugging other things into if you use the ethernet port.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 13:24 (Ref:1195207)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Having said that, I've got 6 USB ports.........
Old 7 Jan 2005, 13:27 (Ref:1195210)   #7
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Me too, but they're all full
wheel, joystick, scanner, wireless reciever, mp3 player link, PocketPC link.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 13:40 (Ref:1195219)   #8
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recently changed from dialup to broadband and my ISPs (ntl) advice was to use Ethernet.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 13:45 (Ref:1195220)   #9
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that usb uses more system resources, wherras ethernet uses hardware to control the traffic, so in theory using ethernet should be better especially if you dont have a fast PC.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 14:51 (Ref:1195255)   #10
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
in general USB uses your PC to connect to the internet while with ethernet your modem/router will be connecting. (in most cases)

So having a network at home is easier and you can leave the internet "on" while you switch any PC off. This is a very simplistic view though...

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 14:59 (Ref:1195262)   #11
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where was I
Ethernet = 100Mb/s
USB = 12Mb/s

If you're using ethernet leave it as that
Ethernet . can go up to 1000
USB 2.0 . 480 .
IFAIK ..

Ciao Marco
Old 7 Jan 2005, 19:30 (Ref:1195443)   #12
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
afaik ethernet allows much longer cables
Old 7 Jan 2005, 21:53 (Ref:1195529)   #13
Speck
Rookie

Speck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ethernet allows you to create a Local Area Network (LAN) by plugging the modem to a hub/switch.

Last edited by Speck; 7 Jan 2005 at 21:55.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 22:07 (Ref:1195539)   #14
Mave
Rookie

Mave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ethernet is generally more troublefree, but if it works fine it doesn't really matter.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 23:38 (Ref:1195595)   #15
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner
I think that usb uses more system resources, wherras ethernet uses hardware to control the traffic, so in theory using ethernet should be better especially if you dont have a fast PC.
Absolutely spot on there. If you've got access to both options use ethernet. Communications is what it's built for.

I remember when I first got broadband I used USB and I kept losing my connection. The machine I had at the time wasn't that good at all. All the lights on the hardware showed everything was okay. After numerous calls to NTL support it turned out that if the available system resource dropped below a certain percentage the internet connectivity would just grind to a halt.

NTL did tell me (this was 3 years ago) that they had only tested the performance of ethernet and not the USB which was only added at the last miunute due to customer demand. That stance may have changed since though.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 23:45 (Ref:1195601)   #16
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
interesting , thanks for the response guys.

i really dont have much of a clue about it but as I said they both seem to work fine so its not a huge issue.

i guess it just depends on what I feel like using on any given day
Old 8 Jan 2005, 00:00 (Ref:1195612)   #17
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
actually I do have one more question guys.

I find it odd that my ethernet connection simply plugs into a USB point on my comp.

I dont really get this , I have two leads 1 USB to USB and one Ethernet to USB.

so what is the difference there then ?
Old 8 Jan 2005, 08:58 (Ref:1195753)   #18
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
What's an Ethernet?
Old 8 Jan 2005, 09:00 (Ref:1195754)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirenzo
Me too, but they're all full
wheel, joystick, scanner, wireless reciever, mp3 player link, PocketPC link.
But surely you don't leave everything connected all the time? I only connect my scanner when I need it, for example.......
Old 8 Jan 2005, 10:51 (Ref:1195787)   #20
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I use Ethernet. But then I again I am all networked up and modem is in a different room and is plugged into the router so that me and my old man can share the connection.
Old 8 Jan 2005, 14:43 (Ref:1195889)   #21
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
But surely you don't leave everything connected all the time? I only connect my scanner when I need it, for example.......
I like to leave everything plugged in, because 4 of the 6 sockets are on the back, and I hate crawling round the back of the desk to unplug stuff, and indeed find wires lying about to plug in...
There is other stuff that need USB, but those 6 are the 6 we use most, so they're plugged in nearly all the time, except for the wheel and joystick which sometimes get removed for other stuff.