Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 12 Mar 2004, 17:06 (Ref:903482)   #1
f1atic
Racer

f1atic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blame Ferrari

There are a lot of people in a number of forums and even some articles in some of the magazines, both on and off line which are blaming Ferrari (already) for another boring season.

I'm sorry, but that is like blaming Tiger Woods for ruining the PGA Tour.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 17:09 (Ref:903486)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well it is their fault, they are so good!

But it is their rivals fault also for being a little underwhelming.......so far!
Old 12 Mar 2004, 17:16 (Ref:903498)   #3
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Its early days, but Brawn is claiming that the dry weather Bridgestones are much improved in hot temperatures. If that is the case, I think the anti-Ferrari sentiment will hit an all time high.

On the other hand, Newey is just too damn brilliant to produce two lemons in a row. McLaren will strike back. I think when all is said and done, it will be Williams who will finish third in the constructors - tusks or no tusks.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 17:20 (Ref:903504)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's is a BIG statement Inigo, given McLarens situation.

I know Williams started off badly last year, but there was always a glimmer of hope. McLaren looks like it will be stuck in the wilderness for the vast majority of the season.

I know you can't write off a teams season after one race, but.....
Old 12 Mar 2004, 17:20 (Ref:903505)   #5
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Right, yet another season ruined by Ferrari, with their stubborn refusal to be mediocre.

Old 12 Mar 2004, 17:27 (Ref:903514)   #6
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
It is a big statement knowlesy-I know. But I just can't imagine a team where both drivers are on the outs (and indeed seem to not get along with the boss), doing consistenly well. Newey is a genius, and he'll figure a way out of the problems.
I am going out on a limb, and I'll be here to accept my humble pie if I am proven wrong. How many of our members who, after seeing the F2004, claimed that Ferrari was on a downswing will be here to accept their humble pie at season's end?
Old 12 Mar 2004, 17:33 (Ref:903519)   #7
006_007
Racer

006_007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
True, both Williams drivers appear to be on the out...

Both the Williams drivers appear to be on the out but that does not mean that they will not be trying and the team will not be supporting them. Williams has a lot of history for supporting departing drivers.

Damon Hill won his WC then left.
Alain Prost won his 4th WC then left.
And who can forget Nigel Mansell?

TJ
Old 12 Mar 2004, 17:36 (Ref:903522)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

They didn't start falling out with their team mate after the first race of the season though.....
Old 12 Mar 2004, 17:39 (Ref:903526)   #9
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I always find it amazing that the achievers are the ones who get blasted. I'm certainly not a Ferrari fan, but one can't help but admire what they've put together. As for blame, I for one say why not blame Toyota?? Here's a team who can spend money like Ferrari, yet they are lanquishing down in the lower half of the midfield. Glad that it isn't my team. I'd feel quite foolish at that level of under-achievment. Or why not slam Michelin? What on earth did they do over the winter? And what about McLaren? Well, that's just too easy. Come on folks, lots of races yet and much to play out. But if you're going to asign blame try looking somewhere else.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 17:47 (Ref:903535)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Although it's TOO early to say anything about a real advantage by Ferrari, I am getting worried about the usual trend in our forum... now it's been 4 threads bashing a certain red team...

I hope this will be a short one.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 17:49 (Ref:903539)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Nobodies bashed them in this one yet though, Bon.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 17:50 (Ref:903540)   #12
006_007
Racer

Isnt that what it is all about?

It is always about bashing the team that is currently dominant. Late 90's Mclaren. mid 90's Williams. Early 90s Mclaren. We have to go back to the 80's before it was consistently mixed up on the grid.

Ferrari truly are dominant this millenium. Does it make a boring spectacle? Yes. From a technological standpoint is it interesting? Absolutely.

What is F1 about anyway?

TJ

Last edited by 006_007; 12 Mar 2004 at 17:51.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 17:58 (Ref:903557)   #13
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Boring!? This is ridiculous. I'm sorry boys and girls, but in AD 2000 Luca di promissed at least 1 decade of Ferrari domination, and wer're not at half of that yet. And Signore di Montezemolo does not really like to promiss cheap things. You still have 5 years to wait, then you can hope.

Formula 1 was always, like every single other sport, about being better than opponent. Too bad that same guys are better year after year.

Think it that way: you're linivng history in the making.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 18:05 (Ref:903571)   #14
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
You're living "history" in the making.

You have no idea how much i loathe someone saying/typing that sentence.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 18:11 (Ref:903581)   #15
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Hmm, then again, I wouldn't be surprised
Old 12 Mar 2004, 18:14 (Ref:903591)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

We're not really watching history though are we? All the records are gone and there is no more history to be made. The only one left is Sennas pole record.....well, for a brief amount of time anyways.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 18:30 (Ref:903610)   #17
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh you forgot Patrese's GP record!! think MS will break that as well?

and what about De Cesaries's CRASHES record... cmon MS start working on it right now!
Old 12 Mar 2004, 18:35 (Ref:903616)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

He won't make Patreses record I don't think, although he'll come close.

He reaches the big 200 this year, I believe around Monaco time?
Old 12 Mar 2004, 18:43 (Ref:903631)   #19
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
what about De Cesaries's record? how many crashes left?
Old 12 Mar 2004, 18:47 (Ref:903632)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Indeterminable.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 20:46 (Ref:903731)   #21
f1atic
Racer

f1atic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What I have seen mostly has been the McLaren and Williams fans beating on Ferrari. It is interesting how soon they forget that for 14 years those two teams won every WCC.

Lots of history to be made. Ferrari only won 15 of the 17 in 2002. We haven't seen the 17 of 17 (now actually 18). lol
Old 12 Mar 2004, 21:05 (Ref:903757)   #22
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There is no doubt that currently Ferrari have done a better job and it is up to the others to make up ground.

All the top four teams have very healthy budget's and it's hard to believe that with all the worldwide resources of BMW and Mercedes (for example), that they cannot close the gap.

Maybe some teams haven't fully learnt or implemented the Ferrari ethos, how many of the other top 4 teams have two test drivers fully employed, continually testing and developing the cars as Ferrari had last year?

When you build a radical car, one of two things usually happens. It's either blindingly fast out of the box or you initially struggle with it. From what the McLaren drivers are saying they have a combination of issues with the car - lack of power (Mercdedes dept), aero grip (it's believed that they knocked back the aero a bit to compensate for relative lack of power) and mechanical grip weaknesses.

All this makes for an edgy, nervous car particularly in high speed corners. McLaren now need to 'understand' the car they have built.

Ferrari 'only' had to refine and develop the car they had last year, McLaren had no option than to go for new and radical as their last car was already already a development of the previous one and a 'year' old by the seasons end.

Ditto Williams and Renault, they will get quicker and find more time in the car and they may have a tyre advantage or at worst parity.

Ferrari have done the best job, that's all.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 21:47 (Ref:903801)   #23
006_007
Racer

I think it was in '88

Quote:
Originally posted by f1atic
What I have seen mostly has been the McLaren and Williams fans beating on Ferrari. It is interesting how soon they forget that for 14 years those two teams won every WCC.

Lots of history to be made. Ferrari only won 15 of the 17 in 2002. We haven't seen the 17 of 17 (now actually 18). lol
I believe it was in 1988 that McLaren won 15/16 races. The only race they did not win that year was Monza, as their driver ran out of gas on the last lap while in the lead....

Trivia: who remembers the teams drivers that year?

TJ
Old 12 Mar 2004, 22:19 (Ref:903824)   #24
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I blame Ferrari for practically everything.
When i forgot that i made coffee and its gone cold for example, that's Ferrari's fault because i don't bother remembering stuff as i can only remember 'Ferrari 1-2, Ferrari 1-2 and Ferrari 1-Goddamn-2.

See, it's all their fault!

Nurse: "I think you another shot."
Old 13 Mar 2004, 16:13 (Ref:904469)   #25
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote: 006_007

I believe it was in 1988 that McLaren won 15/16 races. The only race they did not win that year was Monza, as their driver ran out of gas on the last lap while in the lead....

Trivia: who remembers the teams drivers that year? Unquote:

If my memory serves me well,

Senna - won 8 races
Prost - won 7 races

Happy days

Last edited by Pitstop; 13 Mar 2004 at 16:14.
Closed Thread