Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 10 Feb 2005, 06:17 (Ref:1221628)   #1
euromarshal
Rookie

euromarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hobby

Hi Folks,

we are all marshals, but do we have other hobbies ?
I have to cut down drasticallly my marshalling due to health reasons ( I have bad knees, hips and back) After marshalling for 15 years up to 100 days a year a only did one day last year.

Instead i have been a steward of the meeting for the last 3 years ( i can sit down more in a warm room)(www.vas.be) carracing will probably be in my blood forever.

But since 1 year i have a new hobby for the wintermonths : i am involved in a wheelchairbasketbal club : we are current second in the belgian cc. it is al lot of fun ( esspecially when we are winning!!!!) i am in charge for material, logistics and jurisdiction. www.silverspokes.centerall.com

Who wants to tell about their other hobbies ?

Dick De Vylder
Old 10 Feb 2005, 09:53 (Ref:1221764)   #2
mazda59
Racer

Wales
macclesfield
mazda59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi euromarshal....for me its swimming & walking . I climb a mountain every xmas day , the size depends how my dads knees are feeling , but what a great feeling it is to stand on the top & drink mulled wine .Was even more beautiful this year because covered in snow. I have small trailer tent which i hitch up when the weather is good & just take off somewhere with my 2 dogs & chillout somewhere remote.
Otherwise its off to the airports with my bloke & daughter ..... they are both mad on planes but all in all pretty busy & lots of fresh air ......just how i like it !!!!
Old 10 Feb 2005, 09:58 (Ref:1221768)   #3
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
For me it's rugby (spectating, not playing!!!!!). Love getting on the sidelines, whether it's my local side, Saracens (well someone has to support them!!!!!) or England (will be there on Sunday v France!).

Steve
Old 10 Feb 2005, 13:20 (Ref:1221965)   #4
Ian Smith
Racer

England
Tamworth Staff's
Ian Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
whole new experiance opened up for me when my Darling wife presented me with a digital camera one christmas. My new nickname is ''Snap-Happy Smith''. My enthusiasm is much greater than my expertise but I enjoy it and like many amatuers have the occasinal good shot emerge. I even have my own web site these days.
www.freewebs.com/grizzlyssnaps/
I would like to have any comments from either fellow happy snapper or een the excellent pro's we have on 10 tenths
Old 10 Feb 2005, 13:25 (Ref:1221970)   #5
vw_nut
Veteran

England
hereford
vw_nut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i kayak will i will be soon just learning at the moment
Old 10 Feb 2005, 13:34 (Ref:1221976)   #6
PipSqueak111
Racer

England
Deepest, darkest Devon
PipSqueak111 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aside from marshalling and other motorsport related activities (trackdays, sprints, spectating), I'm quite involved with the Scout movement.

I'm an Assistant Cub Scout Leader at a local pack. Sometimes wonder why, when I've got 24 little monsters going mental around me on a Tuesday night! Can be very rewarding though.

Then I'm the local co-ordinator for the Scout Network (18-25 year olds) in East Herts district, plus vice-chairman for Scout Network in Hertfordshire.
Keep meaning to see if I can connect my Scouting with marshalling. Already taken the Cubs to see racing at Brands, but the Network are all old enough to marshal, plus have useful skills like first aid. Will have to see if I can get any interest up amongst them.

Phill

PS You're not the only Sarries fan, Steve. Fantastic game against Newcastle the other week!

Last edited by PipSqueak111; 10 Feb 2005 at 13:35.
Old 10 Feb 2005, 14:20 (Ref:1222010)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I enjoy ten pin bowling and until a year ago was a member of the Monday night Doubles League at Tunbridge Wells where I used to bowl with a couple of marshalling mates. I really must dust down the ball (bowling variety of course) and brush off the shoes and get to the local bowling alley at Whistable.
Old 10 Feb 2005, 14:41 (Ref:1222027)   #8
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My other hobby still involves cars, as I have a 72 MGB and belong to both the MGCC and MGOC. I am a member of the local meeting (natter) in Aylesbury, which is quite active in organsing events etc. It also has it's own racing team (Team SLim) and I am actually giving a presentation on marshalling on March 7, so if you're free and fancy a laugh over a pint of 6X, come along to the Chequers Inn, Weston Turville for 8pm.

Clive
Old 10 Feb 2005, 21:44 (Ref:1222427)   #9
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am also playing with cars as a hobby, except mine is a Land Rover (see my avatar - a 1964 Land Rover ambulance that is being converted to a camper and will be visiting many circuits over the next few years (hopefully)).

Also, I'm an ice hockey fan (Sheffield Steelers), and a rugby fan (sorry Steve, but i'm an exiled red shirt man )

Al.
Old 10 Feb 2005, 21:53 (Ref:1222441)   #10
JLD
Racer

JLD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm similar to Pipsqueak. Every wednesday evening I've got my scout meeting to go to.
First joined the group as an 8 year old cub. now, many years later, I'm running the scout troop.
Old 10 Feb 2005, 22:12 (Ref:1222464)   #11
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Dickie, long time no see! Has been quiet around you
You know my hobby as a race nut is ...rallying! See you Sunday ?
Old 10 Feb 2005, 22:33 (Ref:1222493)   #12
whatapalaver
Racer

England
Nottingham
whatapalaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've got a narrow boat to slow things down. Drink with a ten pin bowling league. And any spare time I walk the Peak District.
Old 10 Feb 2005, 22:58 (Ref:1222513)   #13
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well my other Hobby also invovles cars..1/10 scale R/C Nitro power cars.
I race and Marshal at meetings Yes we do need marshals at these races.
With these little things doing true speeds of upto 65mph and they catch fire.
Old 10 Feb 2005, 23:15 (Ref:1222527)   #14
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hey Stephen...thought that was for "wrinkleys" only...actually it is good fun. How about aviation photography...do it all round the world though I know the Belgium Air Force do get a bit "excited" when you stand outside there airbases with a camera and binoculas!!
Old 10 Feb 2005, 23:22 (Ref:1222530)   #15
Stevespurr
Veteran

Stevespurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I collect playing cards and first day covers. Use to be a scout leader but found I was giving more and more time to them and not getting anything out of it for me so toook up marshaling.
Old 10 Feb 2005, 23:53 (Ref:1222554)   #16
tangoed sparky
Racer

England
DERBY
tangoed sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My other hobby is Wing Chun Gung Fu. It is a type of Kung fu. It is also the system that Bruce Lee first studied and based his Jeet Kun Do system on. I say my other hobby but I may not get to do much marshaling this year due to some new small members of the family. So it may be my only hobby for a years or two.
Old 11 Feb 2005, 00:29 (Ref:1222572)   #17
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
When I get the chance, I build customised PCs for people, I study psychology & hypnosis and love texas hold em poker. I'm also a big fan of stand up comedy. All stuff I can put down while the seasons on though.

Last edited by b1ackcr0w; 11 Feb 2005 at 00:29.
Old 11 Feb 2005, 10:15 (Ref:1222819)   #18
adstubbs
Racer

United Kingdom
Glamorous Hemel Hempstead
adstubbs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aside from marshalling and anything involving motor racing, my other hobby is singing. I'm in a Hertfordshire choir numbering about 120 people, we do big choral works like Mozart Requiem, but also a few more experimental pieces, like the poetry of Charles Bukowski set to a jazz band accompaniement. Trust me when I say that is sounds much better than it sounds! Scheduling days trackside in between concerts and weekend rehearsals can be a little tricky, but it makes a nice contrast to ducking Clios at a weekend!
Old 11 Feb 2005, 12:55 (Ref:1222917)   #19
alfa_centuri
Rookie

Guernsey
Guernsey
alfa_centuri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
im more of an outdoors person in my spare time.. i'm usually walking the hills somewhere but i do tend to spend a quiet trip away fishing but then with all the marshalling days on offer i think less walking mor marshaling
Old 11 Feb 2005, 14:21 (Ref:1222976)   #20
Rich D
Racer

Canada
Acton, Ontario
Rich D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My Better half and I both curl. This is perfect for Canada, as Curlign season usually starts the week after our last race meeting, and finishes about 2 weeks before the new season in the spring. the only downside is the urge to make large circles in the gravel traps and then try to induce the cars to come to rest closest to the centre...
Old 11 Feb 2005, 14:30 (Ref:1222989)   #21
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Very jealous - my other "hobby" is work, which can - and has - prevented me from marshalling at weekends before now. Who said civil servants have it easy??!

If I'm not at work or at a meeting then the housework beckons. What a boring life I lead.... Tried to address this by doing my hours in 4 days and having a 3 day weekend, but its just another day to slob/recover. You can tell we have no kids, can't you!

Bill, meanwhile, has just acquired a "new" classic car, so guess what he's going to be doing for a while! I shall become a "garage widow"!

Otherwise, my best alternative to marshalling is going on holiday!
Old 11 Feb 2005, 18:08 (Ref:1223144)   #22
Tracey
Racer

England
In front of a PC
Tracey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another MGB owner here - hence my 'little girl' as the avatar! Love the outdoors too, adore Derbyshire but don't get to spend enough time there. Plus another martial artist - this time the more sedate T'ai Chi, which is just as lethal when done quickly!
Old 11 Feb 2005, 20:37 (Ref:1223258)   #23
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SRB i think you should list your run of accidents as a hobby, or is that more of a career?
Old 11 Feb 2005, 20:45 (Ref:1223264)   #24
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mrs Flagwaver, young lady flagwaver & Myself make birthday & Christmas cards etc. & since they got me a digital camera for christmas I had better get out & do some photography.
Old 11 Feb 2005, 21:42 (Ref:1223297)   #25
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I guess most people know I'm an amateur thespian by now, but just in case you didn't, I'm on in Wolverhampton in 3 weeks and have tickets available for sale...

http://www.muscom-operatic.co.uk/allframes.htm