Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Mar 2002, 12:42 (Ref:240815)   #1
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I could be wrong, but do you think DC may have cracked?

DC told The Sun:

"It’s difficult to pretend what’s happened in the opening races doesn’t HURT, because it does.” He explained: "When Ralf referred to his prospects for the next race in Brazil he said Ferrari was his main competition and he never even mentioned us – that really HURT. "I have now got to reappraise the amount of energy I put into achieving my goals. Maybe it will be better to lower my sights and go to Brazil not thinking about winning but just hoping to score a point so I have something to build on. It’s the driver who feels the HURT first hand and for longer because you do not have an infinite amount of time to win grand prixs. There are only another 15 races this year and your career is only for so long."

Man - that's almost as a sad as buying an ice cream and dropping it on the pavement outside the shop!

Do you get the impression the ever-optimistic DC is 'hurt' and has finally cracked?
Old 21 Mar 2002, 12:55 (Ref:240826)   #2
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i do feel sorry for him, and all the team. I am not sure if the comments ("How can i be happy for the team when i didn't even score a point") is him cracking or being arrogant. But i do feel sorry for him, as kimi has quite constantly been faster than him. I am also upset that already, Ferrari are writing off McLaren by not mentioning them.

Hopefully it will turn around, i sure am hoping.
Old 21 Mar 2002, 12:59 (Ref:240828)   #3
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think he is also looking at the prospects of his career at McLaren also, due to the fact that he is now number 1 at McLaren and he has all of mikas old engineers and more of a chance than Kimi, but is not doing as well as the fin. So if Mika were to come back in 2003, who would he replace?

Everything should have been looking good for DC and it is not equating to much. And also, you can tell what he is thinking by when he says, "...and your career is only for so long." he sounds depressed.
You can also see that Kimi is already earning more praise this year the DC. I dont think DC is a very good number 1.
Old 21 Mar 2002, 13:17 (Ref:240842)   #4
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wonder if JV has mellowed enough in his old age to be considered a "Mclaren Man"? What a team that would be.
Old 21 Mar 2002, 15:07 (Ref:240922)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
I wonder if JV has mellowed enough in his old age to be considered a "Mclaren Man"? What a team that would be.
don't think that ron would go for jv, not just because of their past, or any other "older driver", i see them going for someone like heidfeld (obvious candidate i know) but by next season nick would have been in f1 3 whole seasons, so it's not like he's a total rookie! after all, ron did sign kimi after 1 season (if only to keep ferrari from getting him!) and also took on a certain DC after only 1 1/2 seasons!
Old 21 Mar 2002, 17:06 (Ref:240995)   #6
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the whole thing speaks of someone who has been ever-hopeful but is finally coming to terms with reality. 'Ever the bridesmaid never the bride' - although I realise he does not goi prancing around in white lacy dresses!

It's only race three but it seems he has almost resigned to another season where he misses out.

F1 is a cruel old game and if his confidence begins to slide, he, like many others before will be 'toast'.

Could the younger guys be about to take on the 'mantle' from those who have been around for sometime?

This is going to be an interesting season for many different reasons!
Old 21 Mar 2002, 17:54 (Ref:241030)   #7
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's as sad as watching Damon's career come to a slow death in public.

Of course DC has himself to blame for a lot of this, but McLaren has really fallen out of the tree this year. They don't even look like contenders, regardless of the driver.

But remember Ferrari's mid season surge a couple of years ago....

Anyway I've heard that McLaren are preparing to introduce their 2005 car with 1060bhp and superconductors in the engine....wwhhhhhh zzzzzzzzzzzzz

- Bugger-off DC and let a real driver have ago. Quick! - If you leave now the girls will still be interested in your big fat head!

Put Webber in (with an apology from Mercedes, and a big fat wage for driving - and not mentioning LM99...)
Old 21 Mar 2002, 22:57 (Ref:241184)   #8
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Splatz the Cow
Put Webber in (with an apology from Mercedes, and a big fat wage for driving - and not mentioning LM99...)

Webber or Heidfeld would be fine thankyou Mr Dennis.
Old 21 Mar 2002, 23:39 (Ref:241215)   #9
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Man - that's almost as a sad as buying an ice cream and dropping it on the pavement outside the shop!"

Man you had me "rollin"! No not like that! Anyway, it does sound like a broken man. In fact he sounds a bit like JV at the begining of the season.
Old 21 Mar 2002, 23:57 (Ref:241221)   #10
rollhoop
Rookie

rollhoop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When you look at his recent drives over the last couple of years there really isn't all that much to cheer about. Granted Mika didn't impress in the car either, but, I think he had his mind on retirement. The time to think about the future is now. Put a superior talent in his seat. It is time for DC to be replaced.
Old 22 Mar 2002, 04:22 (Ref:241331)   #11
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well - DC is just facing the facts. I dont think he's going down the Damon Hill route - DC still has a number of good years left in him - but unfortunately for him he is just not championship material. He's a good driver who can be brilliant on one day and ordinary on the next.

Ive always believed he would do far better in a team like say - Jaguar or Jordan....where expectations are low and even a decent performance would bring him accolades.

He's always driven for a top team and he's never been able to live up to the expectations. I think a trip to Jaguar or Jordan would do wonders for him. Both teams could seriously benefit from his experience.
Old 22 Mar 2002, 05:03 (Ref:241334)   #12
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
If anyone goes into a race thinking he is not going to win, then he won't win. There is a certain amount of agression and "balls" needed to qualify on the front row as well as to win a race in F1 - sadly these latest words of DC sound like the guy who just bought an ice cream ets, etc, etc......... O me miserum
Old 22 Mar 2002, 06:43 (Ref:241356)   #13
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hasn't the freakin Mcmerc let ole DC down? In Sepang I had no idea where he went...poor dude.
Old 22 Mar 2002, 09:54 (Ref:241442)   #14
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
If anyone goes into a race thinking he is not going to win, then he won't win.
Yup! Totally agree with Sigmund Bounce's psychological assessment.

Compare DC's comments with Button. JB commented recently on enjoying being in front of MS (and looking forward to more of that in future!) and splitting the Williams chaps for a time - he's growing confidence and ambition.

Any bets on Button finishing above DC at Brazil purely on the evidence of mental attitude?
Old 22 Mar 2002, 10:09 (Ref:241454)   #15
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it possible that DC is just sandbagging. Maybe he's fianlly realised that talking up his chances doesn't work. So now he's trying to play them down to see if it will make a difference, and then take his competition by surprise. Just a theory.

At any rate, I highly doubt that DC will be much of a factor in the WC. Motivated or not.
Old 22 Mar 2002, 12:25 (Ref:241540)   #16
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well if he really is hurt by Ferrari and Williams not liking his team, thanks for letting them know. I'm sure they'll appreciate it.

I hope he really is sandbagging, but it looks unlikely.
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 22 Mar 2002, 12:32 (Ref:241547)   #17
Coach44
Racer

Coach44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Raoul Duke
...At any rate, I highly doubt that DC will be much of a factor in the WC. Motivated or not.
Well the next GP will tell the story. If he wins then he still has a chance to compete for the WDC, if he loses then it's BYE BYE DC
Old 22 Mar 2002, 13:38 (Ref:241589)   #18
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that both Mclarens will struggle to get on the podium.
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 22 Mar 2002, 14:04 (Ref:241613)   #19
J.McClane
Veteran

J.McClane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DC can see that there is a lot of young, up and commin' drivers around at the mo and i think this is startin' to worry him.
I personally think DC and Shu(amongst others)should hang up their racin' overalls at the end of this season.

Last edited by J.McClane; 22 Mar 2002 at 14:05.
Old 22 Mar 2002, 14:09 (Ref:241616)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Remove Schumacher (M) and the total talent on the grid is practically halved!
Old 22 Mar 2002, 14:13 (Ref:241624)   #21
Coach44
Racer

Coach44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by J.McClane
...I personally think DC and Shu(amongst others)should hang up their racin' overalls at the end of this season.
It was a joke right????:confused:
Old 22 Mar 2002, 14:28 (Ref:241638)   #22
J.McClane
Veteran

J.McClane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
poor missguided fool
Old 22 Mar 2002, 14:31 (Ref:241642)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by J.McClane
poor missguided fool
Old 22 Mar 2002, 14:38 (Ref:241648)   #24
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
MMmm - Is that the highly 'talented' Schumacher (M) whose driving prowess at first corners could practically 'halve' someone else's car!
Old 22 Mar 2002, 15:21 (Ref:241668)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
The other half of the grid's talent is wrapped up in Montoya.

I exaggerate, obviously, but I don't want Schumacher to hang up his racing overalls just yet. I like to watch him racing against my favourite driver - Montoya.

If that makes me a fool then just call me the jester!