Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 15 Sep 2005, 20:04 (Ref:1408809)   #1
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 management games

Can any of you reccomend a decent one, online or other, thanks for any help.
Old 15 Sep 2005, 20:24 (Ref:1408829)   #2
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think there are any decent ones!

I have Grand Prix Manager 2, but its not really that good - its old aswell im afraid.
Old 16 Sep 2005, 09:50 (Ref:1409156)   #3
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grand Prix World (sequel to Grand Prix Manager 2) is about the only one worth bothering with, it's old these days but still a lot of fun.

F1 Championship Manager might be worth a look one day... if they ever release it...
Old 16 Sep 2005, 13:00 (Ref:1409313)   #4
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
The best one I ever played was a public domain game on the Amiga. Can't remember its name.

Grand Prix World is more like an Economics game than a F1 "Manager" game.
Old 16 Sep 2005, 16:22 (Ref:1409437)   #5
Joe Taylor
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warwickshire, UK
Joe Taylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have an ancient game called Team F1, which isn't particularly fun
Old 16 Sep 2005, 17:55 (Ref:1409493)   #6
mjolnir
Racer

Australia
Sydney
mjolnir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r
The best one I ever played was a public domain game on the Amiga. Can't remember its name.

Grand Prix World is more like an Economics game than a F1 "Manager" game.
and particularly frustrating bugs...
Old 16 Sep 2005, 22:51 (Ref:1409637)   #7
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 Professional is pretty good..
Old 17 Sep 2005, 10:37 (Ref:1409848)   #8
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I had GPM2, Grand Prix World as well as that one by EA Sports. There isn't really a truly excellent one. I can't get GPW working on windows XP, however... Plus, Stirling Moss's commentary on GPM2 was pretty laughable, and EA Sports had Jim Rosenthal...? Oh dear I should have burnt that!
Old 17 Sep 2005, 21:32 (Ref:1410092)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I had the EA Sports management game.

How dull.

You just win, win, win. Whilst watching horribly glitchy highlights on fast forward setting. Yawn. Kill me.
Old 17 Sep 2005, 21:33 (Ref:1410094)   #10
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjolnir
and particularly frustrating bugs...
bugs?

I even get it to play on XP so i don't see any problems...

That F1 championship manager thingy sure is taking it's sweet time, after years and years they still manage to be in ALPHA stage!

Shocking...
Old 18 Sep 2005, 17:04 (Ref:1410701)   #11
mjolnir
Racer

Australia
Sydney
mjolnir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man
bugs?

I even get it to play on XP so i don't see any problems...

That F1 championship manager thingy sure is taking it's sweet time, after years and years they still manage to be in ALPHA stage!

Shocking...
When you play as someone like Minardi, (being the last numbered cars on the grid), your pitstops would be at the mercy of other cars - the cars would actually exit the pitlane according to their car number!!! so say your Minardi's just came in for his pitstop, then a Ferrari or a Williams comes in, the AI would actually make your Minardi WAIT until the Williams finished his pitstop, and no matter what happens, the Williams will (or whatever car had a higher number than your team) come out in front... is that not frustrating?

that said, i'd still take GPW over that crap EA put out...
Old 18 Sep 2005, 17:20 (Ref:1410716)   #12
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh, i don't really play the racing bit...
I tend to skip that, except qualifying...
Old 18 Sep 2005, 22:44 (Ref:1410927)   #13
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The amount of editability in GPM2 was pretty amusing too - could start with Forti-Course (yes, it was that long ago!) and give yourself, Rory Byrne, Michael Schumacher etc. and give them a £1 a year wage and make everything on your car the very best, and give yourself an unbelieveably massive budget even before you started!
Old 27 Sep 2005, 20:05 (Ref:1418217)   #14
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
f1 manager was so rubbiish. selact your team drivers sponsors and then not being able to even design the stupid car! LOL.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 20:08 (Ref:1418221)   #15
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lets just say that manager games dont sute motorsport. eh?
Old 27 Sep 2005, 20:22 (Ref:1418234)   #16
Grandprix
Rookie

Grandprix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If done properly, F1 manager games could be really good. However, it just seems like the games companies don't have any ideas as to how to make an F1 manager game good.

The ultimate F1 game would include the management side where the car you design is the car you drive.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 15:24 (Ref:1419056)   #17
Joe Taylor
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warwickshire, UK
Joe Taylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
I had the EA Sports management game.

How dull.

You just win, win, win. Whilst watching horribly glitchy highlights on fast forward setting. Yawn. Kill me.
I had that too. I also found it incredibly unrealistic - one of the top teams was Forti!
Old 28 Sep 2005, 22:36 (Ref:1419446)   #18
Pondo
Rookie

Pondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember there being a great game in the mid-eighties for the Spectrum - you even had to change the tyres yourself.

Things were much better then, my rose-tinted specs tell me.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 00:40 (Ref:1419523)   #19
ASCII Man
Veteran

Non-F1, Hot Rod 1 & 2 were pretty special and haven't been equalled to this day! ^^
Too small engine? Shove a supercharged 351ci in there, man!
Old 29 Sep 2005, 20:10 (Ref:1420322)   #20
Nintendo
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Nintendo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I've been looking for one aswell. GP Manager 2 was the best, but its from 1996 when JV still had copyrights on his name (ne went by the name John Newhouse in the game). MicroProse made the game, and they should make another one.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 20:24 (Ref:1420341)   #21
ASCII Man
Veteran

They made another one after Grand Prix Manager 2, it's called Grand Prix World, and is heaps better than GPM2.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 21:26 (Ref:1420387)   #22
Grandprix
Rookie

I prefered Grand Prix Manager 2 to Grand Prix World. I think GPM2 was much more 'pick up and play' while GPW required a bit more thought and time.

I also enjoyed the upgrading of parts section in GPM2. If there was like an infinite amount of them, that would be pretty good.

The trouble with GPM2 was that is was really glitchy. I still think, with a bit of work, it could have been the best manager ever seen.
Old 30 Sep 2005, 08:54 (Ref:1420682)   #23
ASCII Man
Veteran

I felt GPM2 to be chaotic in terms of playability and clarity...
GPW was much easier to get into and just play IMO...
Old 30 Sep 2005, 14:07 (Ref:1420952)   #24
Grandprix
Rookie

I found GPM2 really clear and easy to understand. It was a bit fast paced but I don't recall it ever being chaotic. Frustrating, yes, with all those electrical problems that kept appearing when watching the race and the randomness of the result if you skipped it.

GPW required a lot more thought for me. Maybe we're just very different people.

I'm not saying I didn't like GPW because I did and still do. I just think that there are more elements of GPM2 (from first glance anyway) that I'd keep than GPW.
Old 30 Sep 2005, 15:10 (Ref:1421010)   #25
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
Isn't F1 management about doing a lot of thinking? Don't think Ron Dennis went into F1 because it was "pick up and play" - neither GPM2 nor GPW work on my machine and I'm not sure why, thought it was because of Windows XP but not sure. shame because in a strange way I kinda miss them...?