Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Jun 2004, 18:26 (Ref:994103)   #1
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Favorite Livery now and then?

Come on guys. What's your favorite livery?

Personally i've always like the loud yellow of the Jordan. That and the Renault get my votes right now.

As for lameness. As much as i hate to say it. Williams. Toyota is up there too.
Old 4 Jun 2004, 18:33 (Ref:994111)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ah an old favourite thread comes back. Excellent.

Now? Very difficult. No livery works with all those sticky out add on winglets. If I have to chose then I chose, er, Reanault. Although the Williams is alright I think.

Then? I'll keep it general rather than models and years. JPS. Marly McLarens. Green BRMs. Red Mazzas. That'll do for starters. I'll be back.

Last edited by Adam43; 4 Jun 2004 at 18:34.
Old 4 Jun 2004, 18:38 (Ref:994112)   #3
dcp2685
Veteran

An old thread eh? Well it was before my time here so it's new one to me. ;-)

As for the williams...it looks ok just kind of bland.
Old 4 Jun 2004, 18:40 (Ref:994114)   #4
hamsmith
Racer

hamsmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I absolutly love the Blue and white of the Williams. The other cars would be the 'orange' Arrows. But i'm quite a newish fan (8 years)
Old 4 Jun 2004, 19:12 (Ref:994144)   #5
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I quite liked the 1988 Benetton, the 1997 Arrows Yamaha and the Barclay Arrows Ford/BMW/Megatron was pretty nice too.

Also liked the JPS Lotus from pretty much any year, especially the 1986 one.

Presently i don't like any of them in particular.
The only one that doesn't look horrible IMO is the McLaren.

Last edited by ASCII Man; 4 Jun 2004 at 19:14.
Old 4 Jun 2004, 19:15 (Ref:994146)   #6
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now: It's quite difficult, as there is a lot of good liveries around. But I say McLaren, the livery is only good thing in the car at the moment.

Earlier: One of my real favourites is 1991 Jordan with 7Up as a sponsor. I vote for it.
Old 4 Jun 2004, 19:20 (Ref:994154)   #7
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now - Sauber
Then - Minardis 1995 and 1996 liveries.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 4 Jun 2004, 19:25 (Ref:994157)   #8
Ej10
Racer

Ej10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now Jordan (B&H era)

Then Jordan 191. I have it as a model and it is my favorite Jordan model out of my jordan 198,198 with winglets,199,ej10,ej11,ej12,ej13.
Old 4 Jun 2004, 19:32 (Ref:994160)   #9
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I liked the Arrows cars from the years they ran Orange liveries...
Old 4 Jun 2004, 19:58 (Ref:994181)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by dcp2685
An old thread eh? Well it was before my time here so it's new one to me. ;-)
Bang on! Great stuff. We love it!
Quote:
Originally posted by shiny side up!
I liked the Arrows cars from the years they ran Orange liveries...
I went to an indoor kart place yesterday (it had a bridge on the track!). It looked really dodgy from the outside, but inside was excellent including a bar and a room decked out in Arrows orange and logos. It looks excellent.
Old 4 Jun 2004, 20:02 (Ref:994188)   #11
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bleu
Earlier: One of my real favourites is 1991 Jordan with 7Up as a sponsor. I vote for it.
That was my first thought.

I also liked:
-JPS Lotus livery
-Leyton House March
-Martini Brabham (especially the red ones, as seen on the fan cars)
-'Buzzin and Hissin' Jordans, particularly 1997

None of the current crop particularly inspire me. The McLaren's is probably the best, though it's been around a long time now and I think it has lost its impact a bit.
Old 4 Jun 2004, 20:13 (Ref:994196)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Old liveries again. I loved the Marlboro McLarens, although they peaked in the eighties when the cars became more simpler in line.

MP4/6. Perhaps later than the ones I like best, but this picture shows how they left a lot of the car black (all down the cockpit side). I quite liked that:

MP4/8. Looking good without its barge boards. the paint scheme is now all over and hence looking more modern:

MP4/2. Quite bulky compared to more modern cars. I know I decried winglets earlier, but I like this detail:

MP4/10B. Some colour schemes just can't make any car look good.

Last edited by Adam43; 4 Jun 2004 at 20:14.
Old 4 Jun 2004, 20:21 (Ref:994205)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Yes the 7UP livery was good on the Jordan. The only Jordan I've actually liked. I used to race that one in Microprose GP!

and the Leyton House Marchs. How true. Even better when leading at Paul Ricard!

The Piquet white/blue Brabhams were good too (better than Williams take on the blue and white, but then the car was better to work with). The BT52-BT55, I thought it got better as the car got lower!
Old 4 Jun 2004, 20:54 (Ref:994233)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rothmans Williams were beautiful as well as the inevitable JPS Lotus'.

I also liked the Camel Williams of '91 and '92....looked great battling with Marlboro McLarens.

And hell, even the Ferraris looked great once. You know, when they were blood red instead of fluorescent orange or whatever they are nowadays!

I also loved the navy and white Brabhams....looked particularly good on the lowline BT55's!

I could go on....always a favourite thread this one!
Old 4 Jun 2004, 21:14 (Ref:994246)   #15
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Now: McLaren 1997-present

Then: McLaren 1968-70

Photo from http://racingphoto.racesimcentral.com

Last edited by pirenzo; 4 Jun 2004 at 21:18.
Old 4 Jun 2004, 21:36 (Ref:994269)   #16
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As always I'll probably be the only one to say this, but I think the BAR 01 from 1999 was great. It was great with the dual livery, it was great with the 555 one and the Lucky one was superb. Just why the Lucky livery has never been re-used?

The Rothmans livery was good, and got better in 1997, with a slight change in the white-blue combination.
Old 4 Jun 2004, 22:16 (Ref:994299)   #17
dcp2685
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Bleu
Now: It's quite difficult, as there is a lot of good liveries around. But I say McLaren, the livery is only good thing in the car at the moment.

You know i remember that believe it or not...I was 12 years old . Think i saw one or two races that year which were televised over here in the states... but i remember that car vaguely.

Of that time i liked the way the Benneton looked (i can't believe i'm saying that but you know...)

I just like loud wild and crazy bright liverys which is probably why i like the renault.

Last edited by dcp2685; 4 Jun 2004 at 22:21.
Old 4 Jun 2004, 23:04 (Ref:994329)   #18
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Of course the JPS Loti were really lovely, the Lotus 72 of 1973-73 being the nicest.

I also was partial to the Yardley BRM's, Rob Walker Racing, his dark blue privateer Loti were exquisite.

Of the current crop, I think BAR have done the best job, its vaguely evoquotive of the Hondas of the 60's. Ferrari is always wonderful, but I prefer the blood red to the current da-glo.

Larrouse always had nice looking schemes, the Kronenbourg Livery (was it 94?) was especially sweet.

jordi, I think you are mad for your appreciation of the first BAR's What was that horrid swoop on the sidepod of the Lucky half?

Eh, chacun a son gout.
Old 4 Jun 2004, 23:12 (Ref:994332)   #19
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Current? I'd have to say the Mclaren takes it for me.

Past? I also liked the Marlboro stripes on the Mclaren. Early 90's were the best though. Also liked the Rothman's livery on the Williams. The JPS Lotus is timeless.

Funny though, the car has a lot to do with it for me as Adam pointed out with all the Mac pics.
Old 4 Jun 2004, 23:28 (Ref:994341)   #20
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NOW: Mclaren silver and black

PAST: Mclaren white with red/orange (also because the same scheme was and still is used on roger penske's indy cars)
Old 4 Jun 2004, 23:50 (Ref:994355)   #21
bacon sandwich
Racer

United Kingdom
basildon essex
bacon sandwich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jordi
As always I'll probably be the only one to say this, but I think the BAR 01 from 1999 was great. It was great with the dual livery.
The JPS livery was without doubt pure class.

Jordi, you stole my thunder. I think the dual liveried BAR was great with the giant zip running right down the middle of it and didn't see anything wrong with it al all. Don't know why they had to ban it. I suppose it was too exciting for F1!
Old 5 Jun 2004, 03:04 (Ref:994413)   #22
Flaming_Wuzzle
Racer

United States
a house
Flaming_Wuzzle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Then: Marlboro Mclaren and JPS Lotus

Now: Toyota, Williams, Mclaren, BAR's preseason testing colours (black and grey)
Old 5 Jun 2004, 03:21 (Ref:994418)   #23
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Then: March 701 in STP dayglo red,Lotus 72 in Gold Leaf colours,Arrows in the gold Warsteiner colours late 70's.

Now:Ferrari
Old 5 Jun 2004, 04:55 (Ref:994439)   #24
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Christchurch, New Zealand
Andrew2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jordi
As always I'll probably be the only one to say this, but I think the BAR 01 from 1999 was great. It was great with the dual livery, it was great with the 555 one and the Lucky one was superb. Just why the Lucky livery has never been re-used?

The Rothmans livery was good, and got better in 1997, with a slight change in the white-blue combination.

:confused:

Ya serious about the BAR thing! jesus I reckon it was poos!

NOW: McLaren's livery without a doubt.
THEN: JPS Team Lotus for sure.

In between, nothing can beat that blood red Ferrari that only had the Agip sticker, the black rear wing and the black front one, the Fiat one and the Ferrari logo, back in teh day when Ferrari was a sporting team, and Enzo was still around. It's the only Ferrari that I will ever have in my collection... My one is the F189 to be exact, Mansell's car.
Old 5 Jun 2004, 08:41 (Ref:994509)   #25
hamsmith
Racer

hamsmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by bacon sandwich
The JPS livery was without doubt pure class.

Jordi, you stole my thunder. I think the dual liveried BAR was great with the giant zip running right down the middle of it and didn't see anything wrong with it al all. Don't know why they had to ban it. I suppose it was too exciting for F1!
They never did ban it. Originaly the team was going to run the two cars with independant liveries. One with the 555 livery and one with lucky strike. Fia said no and Craig Pollock contested it up untill the last minute so they came up with the 'zip' livery for that season but i think i read that the team though it was a disaster and never like it and thats why they didnt keep it. To be fair the big sponsors want to be sean on the car from most angles so only putting them on one side of the car was never going to work.