Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Aug 2004, 15:27 (Ref:1063993)   #1
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How Will Zonta go in Hungary?

Judging by his Friday pace you'd expect him to be an improvement over CDM.

Do you reckon he could be quicker than Panis?

if he does a good job, do you reckon Toyota will say 'thanks but no thanks' to Trulli?

Leaving Jarno to go where?!
Old 12 Aug 2004, 15:36 (Ref:1064001)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I hope he does a good job this weekend, i quite like the guy. Trulli can leave for all i care!

That's nice

Last edited by Adam43; 12 Aug 2004 at 15:46.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 15:42 (Ref:1064006)   #3
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Lets put it this way, I havn't put him in the top 8 in the predictions comp!
Old 12 Aug 2004, 15:44 (Ref:1064008)   #4
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Dan Fielden has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
has it been confirmed c.d.m. is on his leaving
Old 12 Aug 2004, 15:46 (Ref:1064012)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
FWIW I read today that Trulli has a contract, but he won't reveal who with until September.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 15:47 (Ref:1064013)   #6
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
cant seen Zonta doing any better than CDM IMO
Old 12 Aug 2004, 15:55 (Ref:1064024)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He won't match his Friday pace - the cars they run in those sessions aren't set up for race-distance performance or reliability. All the same, I think he can run Panis close, but not really put up a good claim for a 2005 drive.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 15:56 (Ref:1064025)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Zonta will be closely matched with Panis, I believe.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 16:00 (Ref:1064027)   #9
006_007
Racer

006_007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do not believe Zonta is going to be faster then CDM. Yes, on the Fri practices he is faster, but several of the reserve drivers are faster then the race drivers on that practice. They do not need to make the cars last all weekend.

I think Toyota does have 2 good calibre drivers in CDM (had) and Panis. When Panis was testing for McLaren he was always right on the pace of their lead drivers, and when he was at BAR he was on pace (for a BAR). CDM came through indycars much the same way Montoya and Villeneuve did. I just do not believe the Toyota is a front running car, and Toyota keeps shuffling drivers rather then sorting out the car. But I am sure hiring Ralf and Jarno will fix it all!
Old 12 Aug 2004, 16:03 (Ref:1064033)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
da Matta was nowhere near as impressive in CART. He took 4 seasons to win the title, compared to JV's 2 and Montoya winning it as a rookie - also, the previously-dominant Penske team was gone.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 18:29 (Ref:1064184)   #11
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He'll do OK I think.

Can't really expect much as the Toyotas a bit of a rubbish car.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 19:04 (Ref:1064215)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How will Zonta go in Hungary?

Out of the pitlane, down to the first corner, turn right.....
Old 12 Aug 2004, 19:20 (Ref:1064231)   #13
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It would be great to see him score in the points but i doubt it, seeing as thaed have to qualify near anoth in the top ten because its very slowish and difficult to overtake and seeing as toyota's best feature is the engine I very much doubt it. Any way why has Da Matta been replaced, theres nothing wrong with him, it's the cars that's slow.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 20:21 (Ref:1064298)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think he'll do alright. Zonta is a very good driver IMO, but he hasn't unlocked that potential at an actual race weekend in the past.

I hope he does this weekend.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 21:22 (Ref:1064377)   #15
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About as well as he did for Jordan at Hockenheim.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 23:10 (Ref:1064464)   #16
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he'll go like a toyota driver.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 00:18 (Ref:1064510)   #17
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Why wouldn't the cars for Friday be set up for reliability ?

The 1 engine rule is for the whole meeting...?

David.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 00:47 (Ref:1064521)   #18
Turbo_Era
Racer

Turbo_Era should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he will do well... what many people don't seem to know is that Ricardo was acting as a team leader (doing the choice of basic setup and tyres) even when he was a 3rd driver.

He was set to replace Panis in Germany, but then the frenchman outperformed CDM and CDM didn't do himself any favours in arguing with Mike Gascoyne... The result everybody knows.

He was just unlucky to have started his career at team JV. Hope he does well this weekend.

Needless to say how much Mike Gascoyne is impressed with Ricardo... and although the Trulli deal is about to be signed, he still has a chance for a drive next year.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 08:45 (Ref:1064759)   #19
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I’d be surprised if Trulli hasn’t already signed with Toyota for next season, but CDM was just a tad lacklustre, and as the team will have all the data and know all the facts re. fuel loads, tyres, setups etc, if they’re putting RZ in the car above Da Matta, they believe he’s capable of doing a better job. Zonta was sensational in Dallara Nissan, so lets see how he gets on. If he qualifies around 10th he’ll be doing mighty well!
Old 13 Aug 2004, 10:41 (Ref:1064834)   #20
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can see Hungary being one of Toyota's worst meetings of the year, consdiering that their chassis isn't great. If Ricardo can get within 2 palces of Olivier on the grid he's done well - beat him in 3 of the last 6 races and he's got to be in with a shout for the race drive. he can still be their Friday tester next year after these races as well, which might be what hhe'll do if he fails to stun.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 11:43 (Ref:1064887)   #21
Fuzzyfelt
Racer

Fuzzyfelt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Zonta's clearly a quick driver but his confidence must be in question - he has had some terrifically bad luck with the F1 teams he's driven for. It could be that speed alone won't keep him in the seat anyhow.
Toyota's revolving door policy reminds me of the farcical Jaguar situation a few years back. The Jordan he drove wasn't much cop, and as for his time at 'team JV'... There are some interesting stories about that in this weeks Autosport!
Old 13 Aug 2004, 13:44 (Ref:1065046)   #22
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Toyota seem to be misdiagnosing their problem, as they did at the end of 2002. Changing drivers then didn't do much for their fortunes, nor, in all honesty, do I think it will now. The problem (at least the major one) is an aero one, and until that's sorted (perhaps with the TF104B) they will struggle. That said... da Matta has been less impressive that I expected in his season-and-a-half, and while questions remain over Zonta's psychological strength, I have no doubt about his innate speed - F3000 and the Mercedes-Benz sportscar team showed that. If he's pumped up and trying to impress, he may go well, or the pressure could be too much, and he may crumble. We'll need to wait and see. I hope he goes well - he deserves a break.

(Pause to reflect on the disappearance of Stephane Sarrazin's career...)