Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 12 Mar 2006, 19:57 (Ref:1545401)   #1
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Castle Combe Takes Significant Step Forward?

Today, I hope I've seen a significant change for the better in the world of Marshalling.

Castle Combe has never been a bad place to marshal for me. But today was the first day the circuit was operated by the new Castle Combe Racing Club Ltd. Although many of the faces were the same, there seemed to be a sea change in attitude and approach.

The circuit decided to ditch the BRSCC at the end of last year. CCRC was formed to take over the racing operations there from the start of this season. As you might expect, winning over the marshals to the new CCRC way of thinking was a big objective today. And sure enough a fair amount of time was spent doing that.

The important part was how they went about that task. The new club has put as it's core value, one guiding principal. Namely, that from now on the entire operation will ran on the basis that Competitors, Marshals and Spectators are all equally important and, should be treated as such. Ok, that's a nice intention, but the path to hell as they say...

The next bit rocked me a bit though. Both the Chairman of the Club and the Circuit owner then sat down with us and actually talked (to us like adults!) about the basis of the clubs finances, what the risks and pitfalls are, how the business plan intends to fund the changes we've asked for, what sort of time frames we can expect the changes to happen, how they will encourage competitors to be respectful of our efforts and so on. If I'm not mistaken, I think this is exactly what we've hoping for, isn't it? As mature adults, we all know that money doesn't grow on trees and that things don't happen overnight. But we have been basically wanting organising clubs to level with us, talk plainly, to listen to us and to recognise our place in the sport.

I don't think I was the only person who came away from today with the distinct impression that Castle Combe has stolen a big march on the rest of the sport in terms getting to grips with what will actually keep existing marshals marshalling, and bringing new ones into the fold. And rather than the usual "Just trust us, we know better attitude" it was more like, "Here's the plan, we know need your help for it to work, want to join the team?". I thought a telling moment was when they went right through the "Marshalling in Crisis?" presentation that Chris Hobson & George Copeland made to the Motorsports Council (see here http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79658 ), and explained what part CCRC inteded to do about each point.

I really do think this is something that should make other clubs and venues sit up and take notice.

Oh, and by the way, They have had their MSA licence upgraded and can run grids of 42, yes, FORTY TWO saloons there this year. Aparently they already have several full saloon grid entries, so that theory is probably going to become reality.
Old 12 Mar 2006, 20:54 (Ref:1545449)   #2
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Arse, I THOUGHT it was you I saw but wasn't sure...! Next time I'll be polite and say hi

It was a good and interesting day, and the way it was run and the new club was explained too looks like it will run too. Was bloody cold though, but it did look pretty this morning....
Old 12 Mar 2006, 21:32 (Ref:1545490)   #3
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
That's OK Suze, I'm sure there'll be a chance to catch up at Combe, Shelsley, Prescott, Gurston or somewhere
Old 12 Mar 2006, 21:39 (Ref:1545494)   #4
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sure there will....in honesty? I was only 90% sure it was you and wasn't convinced...but sure there'll be a next time! Nice little speech btw
Old 13 Mar 2006, 12:05 (Ref:1547047)   #5
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does look exciting for the future!
I wish them every success in the future, As said it is a great circuit already and now it is going to get even better!
Old 13 Mar 2006, 12:14 (Ref:1547054)   #6
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Lets see how it all pans out!!!.
I like combe been at all meetings for last 6 years.
Old 13 Mar 2006, 13:06 (Ref:1547107)   #7
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
gixxer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
42 cars going into quarry on the first lap

you Guy's and girls could well have a busy year

Still that's what i pay my season pass for to see full grids,moving away fron the brssc looks like its the best move they've made

The best of luck to all at combe 2006 is lookibg superb
Old 13 Mar 2006, 17:23 (Ref:1547279)   #8
MacGWC
Racer

United Kingdom
Hanslope, Bucks
MacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was briefed by Adrian last week on Castle Combe's intentions and could not help but be impressed. I cannot see that their efforts will result in anything else but roaring success. Castle Combe has always enjoyed excellent support from competitors, marshals and spectators, although I understand this has fallen away a little in recent years, for a whole variety of reasons. Their new proposals will bring back all this support, in my view, and this is already in evidence by the number of marshals and competitors who have registered interest.

The MSA has recognised this "new" club is run by very experienced officals and has shown admirable common sense in issuing a waiver to the normal requirement for first race meetings to be run behind closed doors.

Everyone seems to be behind this new venture and we wish them well.

As always, I hope marshals will recognise the part BMMC has played in raising marshalling issues to the extent that many of the smaller organising clubs and now Castle Combe are going out of their way to address the issues in a much more active and constructive way than hitherto.
Old 14 Mar 2006, 16:41 (Ref:1548120)   #9
garybirch
Racer

England
Taunton, Somerset UK
garybirch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All credit to Adrian and the team. I thought the whole taringin day was a hit, and was most impressed by Adrian's introduction to CCRC.
I'm saddened that the BRSCC couldn't see fit to work with rather than against CCRC!
Anyhow...42 tin tops on the grid will be exciting. We'll have to issue the back of the grid round the corner with radios to tell them when to go!
Old 14 Mar 2006, 17:13 (Ref:1548143)   #10
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, there won't be 42 Combe Saloons on the grid on the 25th... the entry for that race is still to hit 30. Looks like a full grid of Supergrads though.
Old 14 Mar 2006, 17:14 (Ref:1548146)   #11
Suze
Veteran

England
How many CC saloons are they expecting by then Ian?
Old 14 Mar 2006, 17:16 (Ref:1548147)   #12
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
On the list I have got it stands at 29, so they might get slightly over 30 with a few late ones.
Old 14 Mar 2006, 17:29 (Ref:1548169)   #13
Suze
Veteran

England
29 CC saloons is fun though, 35 or so is better!
Old 14 Mar 2006, 17:35 (Ref:1548175)   #14
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
they've had 38 on the grid quite a few occiasons in the past,still around the thirty mark is still a very heathly grid,there also seems to be a number of new cars this year too
Old 14 Mar 2006, 17:42 (Ref:1548185)   #15
Suze
Veteran

England
There does, there's a few pictures around in various places, remember the grids of 38 or so - great stuff! Does Tony whatsisname who used to drive the orange corsa still race?
Old 14 Mar 2006, 18:00 (Ref:1548199)   #16
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am just looking forward to June when I can watch 42 Dunlop Track and Race Car Saloons there!
Old 14 Mar 2006, 18:12 (Ref:1548207)   #17
Suze
Veteran

England
Yep, so am I though having to go around other arrangements - family 80th birthday celebration nearby! So it's gonna be mornings and afternoons for me.

Combe in June is much nicer than Combe in March
Old 14 Mar 2006, 18:20 (Ref:1548215)   #18
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
Yes you mean Tony Dolly although he barrel rolled it at folly last year suprisingly the damage which looked bad wasn't he was out in again a couple of rounds later with just a few dents in the roof

Unlike Mark Wyatt he rolled in the same place and totalled his old astra think that was about 3 yrs ago

well the way this weathers going at the moment it could well be the coldest day ever up there on the spectator banks,and we've been sat there when the snow's been falling
Old 14 Mar 2006, 19:54 (Ref:1548310)   #19
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
Yeah I was right in front of him when it happened, First lap and too much power!
I was amazed how quick he got it back up and running, the only reason it had a dent on the roof was because he got it cheap like that (Or so they said on the pa system!!)

You may be glad to know they have put an 8 foot high 100 meter long solid fence round the top of the exit of quarry, I can see Spectators fighting over space there this year!

I'm glad that they didn't get the same increase in Formula Fords though (they actually lost one didn't they?) that would have been v.interesting at Quarry!
And the rolling start for the GT's should be good!

Roll on 25th OF march!
Old 14 Mar 2006, 19:55 (Ref:1548312)   #20
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
OH, and it's a 206!

Don't become an Observer Suze!!!!!
Old 14 Mar 2006, 20:17 (Ref:1548873)   #21
Suze
Veteran

England
Are you sure..? I remember his 206 (white? Didn't see saloons last year) but four / five years ago did he not drive an orange corsa? I'm sure he did!
Old 14 Mar 2006, 20:28 (Ref:1548893)   #22
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombeMarshal
Yeah I was right in front of him when it happened, First lap and too much power!
I was amazed how quick he got it back up and running, the only reason it had a dent on the roof was because he got it cheap like that (Or so they said on the pa system!!)

You may be glad to know they have put an 8 foot high 100 meter long solid fence round the top of the exit of quarry, I can see Spectators fighting over space there this year!

I'm glad that they didn't get the same increase in Formula Fords though (they actually lost one didn't they?) that would have been v.interesting at Quarry!
And the rolling start for the GT's should be good!

Roll on 25th OF march!
I'll make sure i'm at quarry nice and early then lee,i'll have a gander at that fence at next thursday's testing at least it'll provide some shelter from a easterly wind....well that won't be that often cause its nearly alway's in yer face at quarry
Old 14 Mar 2006, 20:37 (Ref:1548909)   #23
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
Are you sure..? I remember his 206 (white? Didn't see saloons last year) but four / five years ago did he not drive an orange corsa? I'm sure he did!
Tony Dolley did have an orange Corsa, which he used to win the championship in '03 and was subsequently replaced by the similarly coloured Peugeot 206.
Old 14 Mar 2006, 20:40 (Ref:1548914)   #24
Suze
Veteran

England
Good, I haven't lost it then! That's the one I was thinking of Last time I saw CC saloons was at least 02
Old 14 Mar 2006, 20:45 (Ref:1548925)   #25
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezza
I am just looking forward to June when I can watch 42 Dunlop Track and Race Car Saloons there!
I hope to be in that one with the Black Z/28 IROC.

I can confirm Tony had the Orange Corsa Suze as he used to also race with us in the ModProds.