Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 27 Apr 2004, 21:45 (Ref:953918)   #1
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best helmets

I am looking for some advice regarding the best helmet for single seater racing. At present I have got a Bell Sport 3, which I really think is a piece of junk as the visors never fit properly and hence do not seal properly.
What is the best helmet out there ? Is it the Arai GP5 (?) or is it the Simpson ?
Old 27 Apr 2004, 22:06 (Ref:953931)   #2
Hamish Weir
Rookie

Hamish Weir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a Bell Vortex and its the best ive ever had so I bought another one as a spare. Fantastic at high speed and the visor fits perfectly. Go to Demon Tweeks and have a look at the ones on display and choose from there.
Old 28 Apr 2004, 00:52 (Ref:954037)   #3
BoatOwner
Rookie

BoatOwner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You should take a look at the top-end Bell helmets. Which also have a new visor system to cure your problem (cheaper models such as the K1 sport also have the new system).

The KF1 is the helmet used by Jenson Button for example and if you REALLY want to have no problems with the visor fitting get the Bell racestar1 one which has the visor completely flush with the helmet. Coming out in May-June, I dont think you can get it yet.

http://www.bellracing.info/images/up...201%202004.JPG
Old 28 Apr 2004, 07:53 (Ref:954247)   #4
ianpearson
Racer

ianpearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ever thought of looking at motorcycle helmets? its all i've ever used in single seaters. You can often get last years top of the range carbon composite helmet for £200-£250 with a fancy paint scheme, you'd have to visit a bike show to get such a good deal but you'd be bowled over by the selection. There are other positives aswell, as bike helmets are british or european standard they don't go out of date with frightening frequency of a snell certified helmet. The draw back is they are not fire proof of course
Old 28 Apr 2004, 08:07 (Ref:954260)   #5
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Er... bike helmets aren't eligilble for car racing unless they've the BS sticker on (which implies that they are very old stock, as it was withdrawn about 3 years ago).
Old 28 Apr 2004, 08:14 (Ref:954275)   #6
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
keep the visor open . . .get some flies in your teeth !

Bike Helmets are made to a completely different specification, you shouldnt really get past the scrutes with one.

I have a bell sport 3 and its seems great to me, although I'm in a tin top and keep the visor up anyway. when I try an open top car with it I may say otherwise!
Old 28 Apr 2004, 08:18 (Ref:954277)   #7
MikeM
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wilmslow, UK
MikeM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've used Bell and Arai. Both are good but different, overall I think I prefer the Arai which has a better visor arrangement.

Also bike helmets have wide visor opening and a different back section due to the "head up" stance on a bike. I personally wouldn't use one.
Old 28 Apr 2004, 09:42 (Ref:954368)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've got a bit about helmets on my website:

http://www.mallettracing.co.uk/safety.htm

Scroll to the bottom of this page and you get the griff from the Snell Foundation.
Old 28 Apr 2004, 11:20 (Ref:954485)   #9
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Buy the best that you can afford, I am all ways suprised by the number of drivers that I see in scrutineering that have the latest and greatest accessories for their cars, but have old, minimally maintained safety equipment, and when you ask them about it, they say that they can't afford to upgrade the gear.

Personally, If I feel that I am safe in a car, then I go quicker, just because of the extra confidence.

If you have a fifty dollar head, use a fifty dollar helmet.
Old 28 Apr 2004, 11:41 (Ref:954500)   #10
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I use a Bell as it was the most comfortable, you need to try several to see which is best for you- its a personnal thing! I went to Grand Prix Racewear and tried all they had. I am not sure when I need to go back to get a new one I have a nasty feeling its up for renewal next year (along with the racesuit I think)
Old 28 Apr 2004, 12:57 (Ref:954615)   #11
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
comfort and fit is everything, not only the way you feel, but a bad fitting helmet could do you more damage than no helmet, I went with Bell as I've had very comfortable bike helmets made by them in the past.

thats another Purchase requisition to fill in Simon !
Old 28 Apr 2004, 15:02 (Ref:954749)   #12
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
like the racecars so long as they are the same colour the misses doesnt realize I have changed them!!!!
Old 28 Apr 2004, 15:08 (Ref:954753)   #13
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
ha ha . . . . mines too smart for that . . .I shouldnt have let her laern so much !

I was amazed at my new helmet being as light as it is, my Bell dot Bike lid weighs twice as much, but then it is fibreglass.
Old 28 Apr 2004, 15:43 (Ref:954786)   #14
Tiptop
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
Tiptop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a quantum F Arai bike helmet which I bought 4 years ago. excellent fit and has passed scrutineering for the past 3 years ? also it is fireproof
Old 28 Apr 2004, 17:58 (Ref:954875)   #15
G Halls
Rookie

G Halls should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have pm you kickstart
Old 28 Apr 2004, 18:38 (Ref:954900)   #16
G Halls
Rookie

G Halls should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
paint
Old 28 Apr 2004, 20:33 (Ref:955007)   #17
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dont use a helmet with one of those lips at the bottom they are dangerous. If you want one then use a detachable one which wil break off when your helmet hits your chest.
Old 30 Apr 2004, 10:30 (Ref:956650)   #18
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for all the info chaps - I will have to undertake a smash and grab raid on my piggy bank and head across to Demon Tweeks. The new Bell Racestar looks pretty impressive and has a decent visor system - but why oh why are things more expensive here than abroad - found the same helmet on the web in the US for £501.
Old 30 Apr 2004, 10:51 (Ref:956665)   #19
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
The Bell Racestar HP1 is 1 of only 2 that meet the new FIA 2004 standard so should have a very long life...
Old 30 Apr 2004, 11:30 (Ref:956707)   #20
simon drabble
Veteran

in this weeks Autosport in the Fourmula Audi supplement I was surprised to read that one of the drivers retired with a steamed up visor....
Old 30 Apr 2004, 14:14 (Ref:956954)   #21
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally posted by simon drabble
in this weeks Autosport in the Fourmula Audi supplement I was surprised to read that one of the drivers retired with a steamed up visor....
Jeez . . .what a mincer ! he doesnt drive a proper car, cork lid and goggles then

most good visors will stay open a tiny bit as part of their ratchet/lock system to maintain good airflow at low speed and in wet conditions.
Old 30 Apr 2004, 14:20 (Ref:956962)   #22
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And why can't he just lift it, clean it and put it back? That's of course why FPA failed despite launching e.g. Justin Wilson - because all the cars are equal, rich-but-**** drivers can't get an unfair advantage and are left with stupid excuses like this!
Old 30 Apr 2004, 15:04 (Ref:957014)   #23
Comtec Renault
Racer

Comtec Renault should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bell are very good if you have a big head as they seem to push your face in less than Airai, also the visors are mega,get the yellow one for the rain,you will not belive how good it is!!!!
Old 30 Apr 2004, 19:09 (Ref:957240)   #24
REALIST
Racer

REALIST has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Surprised to see you to here Comtec, thought you'd be busy putting your car straight!! Hope it wasn't too badly damaged yesterday?
Old 1 May 2004, 09:24 (Ref:957684)   #25
Comtec Renault
Racer

Comtec Renault should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ha -Ha no it was just a flesh wound, bluddy bomb hole,its not flat in the wet,the truck that picked up the car broke down in the pit lane with my car on it!,it only needed 2 wishbones and a wing support,so she will be fine to test at Donnington in 2 weeks, just befor the 750 F4 race.
anyway back to lids as above as my car was going backwards into the tyre wall at Snetterton I am glad I had a good Helmet.Also as Makmot says above please if any of you have the helmet type with the chin wing type thing on it,just cut it off with a small saw,and then bolt it back on with some plastik numberplate bolts, I made Kimi Rakinonen do just that at the 99 Festivall as if you go in front first and your head goes down they can break your chest bone which-in-turn can sever your iorter (sorry about the spelling) ie you can bleed to death internally,and you can not fix it at a track! if you bolt it on then it should just snap off in a shunt.The modern lids now seem to have much smaller lips on then which sould be Ok, mine do but I still think it a bid doddgy so I ware a horse shoe neck brace aswell. its a comfy Hans .