Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 12 Jun 2011, 21:39 (Ref:2897523)   #1
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Jenson a better driver than Lewis?

IMHO - Yes
Old 12 Jun 2011, 21:41 (Ref:2897528)   #2
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Old 12 Jun 2011, 21:41 (Ref:2897530)   #3
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMHO - No!
Old 12 Jun 2011, 21:42 (Ref:2897532)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I think he's a mature driver than Lewis for sure. Lewis is a great overtaker,( but then, so is Jenson) but seem's to get involved in unnecessary incidents.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 21:42 (Ref:2897534)   #5
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
No.

But now and again Button's numerous qualities push him to the fore.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 21:46 (Ref:2897547)   #6
baclightning
Racer

United States
Kirkland, WA, USA
baclightning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Both are World Champions, and quite worthy ones. Hamilton is the faster driver per se, and the better overtaker. Button is superb in changing conditions, knows how to preserve his tires, and has a sixth sense for the right strategy. They have different strengths, but they're both great drivers.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 21:47 (Ref:2897553)   #7
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No.

Button does have his moments though.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 21:49 (Ref:2897555)   #8
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lewis has more raw driving skill. Jenson has the brains. This will lead to Lewis being ahead in qualifying and making up more places in the race most of the time, but he will also make more mistakes.

I think most people will agree with that. Beyond that it's just a case of what you prioritize to determine who is 'better'. For me; Lewis.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 21:49 (Ref:2897557)   #9
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
No because Jenson and Lewis are very different drivers...

Jenson is a better strategist at times..

Both brilliant..
Old 12 Jun 2011, 21:51 (Ref:2897562)   #10
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lewis = aggressive ... impetuous
Jenson = Consistent ... a thinker.

one better than the other ...nah, just different.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 21:55 (Ref:2897568)   #11
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If Hamilton sat down and learnt a few lessons from the way Button drives he would be a much better driver himself.

Lewis has more outright speed, but right now I think Button edges him in almost every other department.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 21:55 (Ref:2897570)   #12
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the fact that Hamilton was in the middle of passing Button before Button took him out, suggests that Hamilton would have been much quicker than Button in this race. Overall, I think it's obvious that Hamilton is a faster driver than Button. If the tyres didn't go off so fast, which plays to Buttons driving style, then the 2 of them wouldn't be close at all. Hamilton's just making too many mistakes lately. Having said that, Button made a couple big mistakes in the Canadian GP.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 21:56 (Ref:2897572)   #13
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!
I agree with baclightning and several others. They have very different skills. I love to watch a Lewis-esque driver when it's all going right. But overall it's JB who edges it for me.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 21:57 (Ref:2897573)   #14
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Here's how I look at it. Most team owners would be delighted to have Button on board. Whereas all team owners would sell their granny into slavery to have Lewis.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 21:57 (Ref:2897574)   #15
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting replies.

Maybe I should have asked, " Is Jenson a more consistant driver? " which I feel he is and thus makes him a better driver ...

He reminds me so much of Alain Prost.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 21:58 (Ref:2897575)   #16
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
No. Hamilton had Button today, but for Button's uncharacteristically loutish move in a straight line. Remember Button was only ahead of Hamilton because of Schumacher's characteristically loutish move on Hamilton a few corners before...
Old 12 Jun 2011, 22:00 (Ref:2897581)   #17
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
If Hamilton sat down and learnt a few lessons from the way Button drives he would be a much better driver himself.

Lewis has more outright speed, but right now I think Button edges him in almost every other department.
I agree.

I think that MB and DC touched abit on how i feel about Lewis at the moment. He doesn't have the best car out there at the moment, so feel's that he has to make up for it with his ability, but imo, it's not enough. But unlike Jenson, maybe he doesn't see the bigger picture. I'm sure that Jenson would be the first to say that he didn't envisage a win at the start of the race, but a driver has to be there at the end of the race to have that chance. Lewis's style doesn't lend itself to that at the moment.

Unfortunately for Lewis, at the moment he seem's to be F1's answer to Simonchelli, someone with amazing skill, but not doing the job on the track.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 22:02 (Ref:2897583)   #18
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulaweybridge View Post
He reminds me so much of Alain Prost.
Oh God no! Anyone but him!
Old 12 Jun 2011, 22:02 (Ref:2897585)   #19
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
I think that Lewis needs to mature more.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 22:02 (Ref:2897587)   #20
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Oh God no! Anyone but him!
Old 12 Jun 2011, 22:03 (Ref:2897588)   #21
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lewis has had two bad races, true. But he's always been inpetuous, and probably always will be. Occasionally the red mist seems to descend and he ends up barrelling into someone in the first few laps. However, over the course of the season, I think he'll come out on top (as he did in 2010).
Old 12 Jun 2011, 22:04 (Ref:2897589)   #22
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14 View Post
No. Hamilton had Button today, but for Button's uncharacteristically loutish move in a straight line. Remember Button was only ahead of Hamilton because of Schumacher's characteristically loutish move on Hamilton a few corners before...
Really? i see both incidents at the other way around, especially with Jen's, he was taking his normal line on the straight, he didn't see Lewis, simple.

With Schumacher, i originally thought that he'd pushed Lewis wide, but when i watched it back, not the case imo. Looked to me like a case of Lewis braking later and going off the track.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 22:07 (Ref:2897592)   #23
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Really? i see both incidents at the other way around, especially with Jen's, he was taking his normal line on the straight, he didn't see Lewis, simple.

With Schumacher, i originally thought that he'd pushed Lewis wide, but when i watched it back, not the case imo. Looked to me like a case of Lewis braking later and going off the track.
I don't think Hamilton was 100% to blame for either incident, but he certainly showed poor racecraft on both occasions. He was like a bull in a china shop, as he was in Monaco. But whenever people start to doubt him, he does something special. Let's see what happens in Valencia.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 22:07 (Ref:2897594)   #24
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
If Lewis is to come out on top this season he needs to listen very carefully to what Brundle and Coulthard were saying, get rid of this idea that he has a "right" to be at the front, stop over driving the car, exercise some judgement when it comes to overtaking moves and concentrate on finishing ahead of his team mate.

It boils down to something I said before - the fine line between aggressive (which he should always be, it's the way he is) and reckless (which he is at the moment).
Old 12 Jun 2011, 22:10 (Ref:2897598)   #25
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I don't think Hamilton was 100% to blame for either incident, but he certainly showed poor racecraft on both occasions. He was like a bull in a china shop, as he was in Monaco. But whenever people start to doubt him, he does something special. Let's see what happens in Valencia.

Maybe not, but Ensign was inferring that he was 100% free of blame. (as i read it).