Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 14 Jun 2004, 04:56 (Ref:1003110)   #1
zerO
Veteran

zerO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last Hurrah for Champ Car at PORTLAND ?!

Yeah, we heard the rumors: IRL vying for a Portland date in 2005 ?! - but it isn't to be as a race in addition to the hoped for Champ Car one - at least that is not what IRL is pursuing... here's the latest on this story = http://www.columbian.com/06132004/sports/155107.html

No matter how much Eidswick & Co. wish to turn a blind eye on this situation, officially at least, I'm pretty sure that even their silly official stance - ie: We'll see how well this year's race does first. - pretty much says that CCWS isn't all that eager for returning to Portland next year (otherwise the official stance would be quite different, no ?!)... some may not agree but that's how I read into it... and now it finally is official that IRL is pursuing to snatch Portland EXCLUSIVELY !!! - they even have a sponsor lined-up that says so ?!, and OWRS doesn't have a dåmn sponsor today nor is it likely to have one for next year... so, what will it be next year: IRL or OWRS ?! - because both won't fit nor happen... it isn't a question anymore, unless the Champ Car Troika have something up their sleeve and I really doubt that since they have expressed their desire to add 4-6 foreign races next year (in addition to St.Pete - which is also being pursued by IRL, btw) and either Denver or Portland or both will have to get axed to make room... that freakin' simple - add it all up...

zerO
Old 14 Jun 2004, 11:58 (Ref:1003444)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Your posts are quite difficult to read. A bit of punctuation and spacing would help.

On the subject - Portland would be a good road race for the IRL to add, but I'm still hoping both series can get together. Then all these "us or them" stories will be redundant.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 17:04 (Ref:1003774)   #3
sgjb
Racer

sgjb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be interesting to see what the IRL would do there. I think quite poorly. Cart is even struggling. I go every year and I would venture a guess there is about 20% of the fans at the race are from Canada.

When Villeneuve and Greg Moore raced there many people went down to see them. The Canadian drivers still keep us coming as the interest is still high but not as high as Greg's days.

If the IRL went in, I would guess they would lose almost all the Canadian fans from the race as generally we are CART fans I think. If the IRL could lure a few Canadians over maybe that would change!!
Old 15 Jun 2004, 19:13 (Ref:1005150)   #4
zerO
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Portland would be a good road race for the IRL to add, but I'm still hoping both series can get together. Then all these "us or them" stories will be redundant.
Until one series ceases to exist it will always be "us or them" - such is life... and there is COMPLETELY no snowball chance in héll for any "unification" - so we might as well forget about that dream... in the meantime, it's very simple = either CCWS or IRL will race at Portland next year - NOT BOTH ?! - most likely IRL since they are pursuing it much harder than OWRS... btw, very same scenario is being played out at Road America for next year ?!

zerO
Old 16 Jun 2004, 17:05 (Ref:1006035)   #5
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The same scenario could be playing out at a lot of places. A lot of the deals are reported to be one-year contracts or redone to one-year contracts.

OWRS is really the "incumbent," so to speak, at Portland but there's no sponsor for the race (G.I. Joe's isn't back) and the Columbian reported ticket sales are projected to be 30-40,000 for Race Day. This is the first of the OWRS self-promotions and the finances don't appear to be very good. The Oregonian reported the race lost $1 million last year on CART's tab.

I don't know that the IRL would do any better. The concept 22 years ago was bringing the Indycars to Portland. OWRS is not the Indycars, so that "hook" doesn't exist. Maybe it would for IRL. Time will tell how this plays out.
Old 16 Jun 2004, 18:21 (Ref:1006093)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's a good track, which generally produces good racing.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 06:44 (Ref:1006486)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I love the track.
I'd love to see both series race there but strange that OWRS are "Gonna see how this years event goes"

does that mean they dont really care for Portland ? or am I reading it wrong ?
Old 17 Jun 2004, 14:28 (Ref:1006998)   #8
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
does that mean they dont really care for Portland ? or am I reading it wrong ?
That is a tough one to answer. I think that PG likes the track, he has keep his other racing series there. Having said that, when GI Joe's failed to sponsor this year, I believe that Portland was added to the schedule for "numbers" because it had the infrastructure in place to pull off a race this early in the season. I believe that it is the last race at PIR for CCWS - and that is too bad. If Nike or some similar sponsor was to step up and sign an agreement this weekend - well then toss my prediction out the door please. To a potential sponsor for Portland
Old 17 Jun 2004, 15:52 (Ref:1007102)   #9
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree, racin....they had to take chances on Portland, Denver and Cleveland to self-promote or those races were history. If it goes well, they may do it again. If not.....
Old 18 Jun 2004, 00:54 (Ref:1007486)   #10
zerO
Veteran

Here's another write-up that explains why IRL will be at Portland next year and not Champ Car = http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/ore...3633214950.xml

zerO
Old 18 Jun 2004, 02:18 (Ref:1007506)   #11
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I would like to see open wheelers stay at Portland - I have only seen it on TV, but it seems to be a pretty cool track.

There have been some good races there and I hope there continue to be.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 18 Jun 2004, 16:56 (Ref:1008085)   #12
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Portland is a GREAT track for the fans - every amenity and very senic. The drivers find it wonderful, too. Not the technically challenging but it has produced some great racing moments.
It's 90 deg here right now - and will get hotter. Check our site for up to date info and pictures. I'm heading out now to shoot the morning practice. There is NO market for the IRL and they can bring it on if they want - NO on will attend.
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 18 Jun 2004, 17:13 (Ref:1008103)   #13
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.portlandtribune.com/archview.cgi?id=24748

Here is why OWRS will stay at Portland and the IRL will fail miserably if it tries.
Old 18 Jun 2004, 17:18 (Ref:1008110)   #14
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I believe that article might be pretty close to the mark.
But what are "grand prixs"?
Old 18 Jun 2004, 17:27 (Ref:1008121)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Indeed.

Grands Prix is a phrase they need to learn.
Old 18 Jun 2004, 17:43 (Ref:1008132)   #16
indycool
Veteran

The perception of the story is just CW rerun. Some of the facts are inaccurate.
Old 18 Jun 2004, 17:45 (Ref:1008135)   #17
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Perhaps, but what it implies are likely quite accurate.
And it's not because one car has more HP than the other, that has little to do with it.
Old 18 Jun 2004, 18:00 (Ref:1008142)   #18
Mags
Veteran

Thank you for supporting my theory. As one that has been covering the race here for several years, I can tell you the fans here are Champ Car fans and would never support the IRL.
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 18 Jun 2004, 18:13 (Ref:1008150)   #19
Kicking-back
Veteran

But would they support one "IndyCar" series?
Old 19 Jun 2004, 02:38 (Ref:1008425)   #20
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
NO. I think that is what I love about this track.. you go anywhere and it's the same.. even mention the "TG" word and you get treated like a leper.

The fans here LOVE Champ Cars.. and it is NOT like Toronto where they play volleyball when the race is on. These fans are rabid.

I sat and listened to a few talk about the Indy 499 today with Neil from Forsythe, and how they will never, EVER attend that race again until it is owned by another (so don't get your hopes up Gerry will ever be there soon) And how universally loved Newman is for having the **erhem** noodles to say what he thinks and to stand firm in the wake of money, engine manufactures pressure and the like, and how RP and others did NOT...and I sat and thought, WOW.

God Bless our 3 great guys for at least trying.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 05:17 (Ref:1010330)   #21
Mags
Veteran

They say a picture is worth a 1,000 words...

Quote:
They say a picture is worth a 1,000 words! Spotted at Portland this morning, and we all laughed so hard we cried.
Attached Images

Old 21 Jun 2004, 05:18 (Ref:1010331)   #22
Mags
Veteran

If you can't read it, it says "No IRL at PIR"
Old 21 Jun 2004, 09:22 (Ref:1010491)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Re: They say a picture is worth a 1,000 words...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mags
They say a picture is worth a 1,000 words! Spotted at Portland this morning, and we all laughed so hard we cried.
Well its a picture of a few words :confused: and Fawlty Tower is funnier.

However the cars looked good at Portland. It seems a fun circuit to race on, with the nice straight into a slow corner for overtaking. It'll be a real shame if CART don't go back there.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 15:26 (Ref:1010889)   #24
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This was my fourth time at PIR in the last five years. It was the smallest crowd that I have seen. I wonder who is running CCWS promotions. I remember PG saying that the races needed to be promoted better for CCWS to be viable - well, they need to shake something up IMO. Looked as if Budweiser paid for exclusive rights to the beer revenue - I could not find a different brand of beer anywhere I looked. I was in the paddock area and at the Festival Curves. Finally, I saw Bud's Widmere Hefe as I was exiting the race track. IMO, CCWS did a lousy job promoting this race - their first. As for the beer, I know from attending many races that the majority of Champ Car Fans are not Bud beer drinkers - we will pay for quality brews! I drank water, which was a good thing because it was damn hot.

Last edited by racinthestreets; 21 Jun 2004 at 15:28.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 15:38 (Ref:1010909)   #25
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by racinthestreets
This was my fourth time at PIR in the last five years. It was the smallest crowd that I have seen. I wonder who is running CCWS promotions. I remember PG saying that the races needed to be promoted better for CCWS to be viable - well, they need to shake something up IMO. Looked as if Budweiser paid for exclusive rights to the beer revenue - I could not find a different brand of beer anywhere I looked. I was in the paddock area and at the Festival Curves. Finally, I saw Bud's Widmere Hefe as I was exiting the race track. IMO, CCWS did a lousy job promoting this race - their first. As for the beer, I know from attending many races that the majority of Champ Car Fans are not Bud beer drinkers - we will pay for quality brews! I drank water, which was a good thing because it was damn hot.
They were selling Blue as well.

Ys, this was my 8th PIR and the crow was small; I don't know why, and it was DARN hot!