Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 13 Jun 2002, 15:54 (Ref:312762)   #1
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ETCC: Edman in third Volvo S60

Edman in third Volvo S60
ETCC 13/06/02

There will be a third Volvo S60 in the ETCC round at Anderstorp. Prodrive will not run this car though, instead the Swedish Volvo team Flash Engineering will run it. "We have from Volvo and Prodrive not the budget and recourses to run this car the rest of the season, but we will lend it out to Flash Engineering who will seek financing to run it at as many races as possible," said Olle Odsell from Volvo Motorsport. This car will be driven by Jens Edman at Anderstorp and Janne "Flash" Nilsson will take over and drive the two following races in Germany and Belgium.

"We hope that this third car can mix among the top six cars and take points in the manufacturers title competition, and also support Rickard Rydell in the drivers championship by taking points from the competitors. Then we will sell the car after the end of the season," said Odsell. The people at Flash Engineering are very happy of getting the opportunity running a car in the ETCC: "We are seeing this as a great opportunity for us at Flash Engineering to learn the new cars for the coming year, when we hope to both be in the STCC and the ETCC," said Christian Dahl, team director at Flash Engineering.

"We already have our own people in England and they are putting the new car together at Prodrive. We will also drive the new car with Prodrive at Mantorp a week before the Anderstorp round, so our team will be well prepared," Dahl said.

Source: Volvo

Johan Meissner
johan@meissner.se

Last edited by JMeissner; 13 Jun 2002 at 16:02.
Old 13 Jun 2002, 16:54 (Ref:312809)   #2
MaxSport
Racer

MaxSport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you,JM.
Old 13 Jun 2002, 17:14 (Ref:312825)   #3
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
YEAH! Another S60 (hopefully!!) will make the grid!!
Old 14 Jun 2002, 11:13 (Ref:313446)   #4
Michael H
Racer

Michael H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is absolutley brilliant news for the ETCC, for Volvo, but especially for young Jens Edman. He is a superstar in the making, and this is just the break he needs. I know that Jan Nilsson will drive the two rounds after Anderstorp, but it is just that Edman's talent has been recognised.

I have no doubt that Edman will perform brilliantly. I just hope the reliability is good.

The two rounds after that will be a great opportunity for Jan Nilsson to show the wider European touring car community just how good he is. He just keeps getting better every year, and he will surprise a few people.

I am very happy that Volvo have made the right decision for Anderstorp.
Old 14 Jun 2002, 16:06 (Ref:313651)   #5
MaxSport
Racer

Good news indeed.

I think you may also see Nissan get out of the IRL and spend some of that money on ETCC in '03.

It would be nice to have them put a new engine deal together for Courage and the LM24.

Anyway, if BMW and Alfa continue with their current level of support and Volvo,Nissan,Honda and VAG come with substantial efforts it will be fantastic.

As a touringcar fan and someone who sees the business model as one that makes sense I can't help but be enthused about ETCC.

This is not a knock on BTCC!

Kurt Maxwell
Old 14 Jun 2002, 17:52 (Ref:313723)   #6
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hear very strong rumours that SEAT will be ready for 2003.

Another rumour, first heard it by a known Swedish motor journalist, is that Picko Troberg Racing would run a MG team in ETCC next year... Rumours though, dont forget...
Old 14 Jun 2002, 20:37 (Ref:313883)   #7
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JMeissner
I hear very strong rumours that SEAT will be ready for 2003.

I'd have thought that'd be inevitable because BMW have solved the gearbox rule.

Sounds interesting about the MG story, and Chamberlain want to return to Touring Cars next year, so with their links with MG, who knows?!
Old 15 Jun 2002, 10:56 (Ref:314284)   #8
Michael H
Racer

That is quite interesting, JMeissner, about Picko and a possible MG deal.

I wonder if he would build new cars, or convert ex-BTC Touring cars to Super 2000.

I know that here in Australia MG are promoting their range in a huge way. Big TV money is being spent.

But I also wonder whether the MG's could be rebadged as Rover's in Europe. Which is bigger in Europe (as opposed to the UK) -
MG or Rover??

Just a thought.

Good news about SEAT, too.

Getting back to the Volvo deal, what is Tarquini doing these days? Wouldn't he be taken back by Honda soon to do some development work on an Accord?
I'm glad he didn't get the Volvo seat, but I don't want to see him lost to the ETCC.

One final thought of mine - who will drive for SEAT? How many cars?
Old 15 Jun 2002, 17:34 (Ref:314485)   #9
kmchow
Veteran

Yeah, has it been confirmed that Honda will for sure race their Accord? It seems kinda like a big waste of money to race the Civic for just one year? I can't imagine race organizers banning Honda from racing if they change their mind and want to continue with the Civic. I think that the race organizers need Honda more than Honda needs the ETCC/BTCP. What do you fans think?
Old 15 Jun 2002, 22:42 (Ref:314616)   #10
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
hmm, when you mention it kmchow, Honda did say that they would enter 2003 with the Accord model... strange though as you say developing the Civic... but keep in mind that Honda are running the Civic on dispensation because of the short lenght...
Old 15 Jun 2002, 23:49 (Ref:314649)   #11
kmchow
Veteran

That's exactly my point, race a car for just one year? Hmmm, sounds too crazy I think. Oh well, I guess it's better to have a hatchback Honda rather than no Honda at all? As the saying goes, "Beggars (race organziers) can't be choosers."
Old 18 Jun 2002, 23:09 (Ref:316577)   #12
MaxSport
Racer

If MG and Lexus come in as well the ETCC will be OTT!
Old 19 Jun 2002, 06:01 (Ref:316693)   #13
kmchow
Veteran

I wonder in the case of Lexus, if they do race the ETCC, does that mean the chance of a BTC Lexus will become nearly impossible?
Old 19 Jun 2002, 10:44 (Ref:316826)   #14
Michael H
Racer

I wonder whether the Edman Volvo will be the same colour scheme as the factory S60's??

Any colour change suggestions??
Old 19 Jun 2002, 18:41 (Ref:317072)   #15
kmchow
Veteran

Well, doesn't Edmans's S60's colour scheme depend partly on the sponsor? If a large enough one shows up, they could probably paint the car any colour the sponsor wants?
Old 19 Jun 2002, 20:50 (Ref:317167)   #16
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
I'd guess that the paint scheme will be much the same as the STCC Volvo S40's...
Old 20 Jun 2002, 23:23 (Ref:317931)   #17
Michael H
Racer

Good point, JMeissner!

I do hope that the Flash Engineering S60 adopts the blue bonnet hood. The factory cars should have this as well.

I would also like to see Ericsson get involved with Volvo's touring car efforts once more.

And how about changing those Castrol labels. Get rid of the red and green, and go blue, like I think they have on the BMW.Williams F1 car.
Old 21 Jun 2002, 04:05 (Ref:318028)   #18
kmchow
Veteran

Or how about copying the Ediemme Castrol BMW paint scheme? The tri-colour dark purple,red and green scheme? OTOH, I wonder if people would look at it weirdly since it associated with BMW instead. I would prefer the '97 S40 Racing scheme more, a splash of yellow really helps break up the boring silver/dark blue colour scheme.