Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Dec 2002, 11:52 (Ref:456057)   #1
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Martin Brundle at Jaguar???

An article at F1-Live says Martin is rumoured to take over from Niki Lauda at Jaguar!! Personally, I find this incredible, as is the suggestion that Nigell might be looking in that direction.
Old 23 Dec 2002, 12:12 (Ref:456076)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Would this be an advisory role, or taking over the full management? Presumably he couldn't do this alongside the ITV Commentary, so for that reason alone I hope he doesn't get the job- he is one of the best analysers out there.
Old 23 Dec 2002, 12:14 (Ref:456077)   #3
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I read that Martin was asked to take on the role about the time that Lauda got the job but turned it down.
Old 23 Dec 2002, 13:35 (Ref:456121)   #4
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't doubt Jaguar would love to have Martin on board, even in an advisory role.

But I reckon Martin enjoys the tv work, and any role with Jag would conflict with his existing professional relationship with DC.
Old 23 Dec 2002, 14:19 (Ref:456155)   #5
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and would Brundle do any good in that position?

i would rather him in the talking cube
Old 23 Dec 2002, 17:31 (Ref:456260)   #6
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
If he did leave we could cope - now that Sky's down the pan John Watson's looking for work!
Old 23 Dec 2002, 17:43 (Ref:456266)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
James Allen and John Watson. I hope not. I would prefer (please please please, it's Christmas!) Ben Edwards and Martin Brundle. That would rock!

As for Martin and Jaguar. I think it is just a case of linking an ex (proper) Jaguar driver with that F1 team thing. Tom Walkinshaw has been linked with Jaguar F1 too!

Martin has been part of DC's advising team for years. He has also had an advisory role at Arrows. He is also, of course, a TV commentator. IIRC correctly he did all three of these at the same point once (1997?). So, I suppose, there is no reason that he couldn't again, although now his role in the BRDC is much bigger than then.

Another coincidence was that he was involved in Arrows with Tom Walkinshaw and, of course, was involved in the Jaguar success (yes they did have some) at Le Mans.

Maybe Tom will run the F1 team and Brundle will be the overall advisor.

But I doubt it!

Last edited by Adam43; 23 Dec 2002 at 17:45.
Old 23 Dec 2002, 18:27 (Ref:456291)   #8
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Actually thats a point! now Sky is defunct surely ITV must snap up Ben Edwards? I can't say that anyone actually likes James Allen, although he does take a lot of abuse from fans etc, he isn't the worst commentator ive heard, but hes far from the best.

ITV getting Edwards would be great.
Old 23 Dec 2002, 18:45 (Ref:456305)   #9
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by The Monster

ITV getting Edwards would be great.
I thought that they signed him earlier this year, but i was hoping it would be as replacement for James Allen.
Old 23 Dec 2002, 18:45 (Ref:456307)   #10
Muppet
Racer

Muppet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
James Allen and Carlton Kirby would be the commentary team from hell. If ITV want the ratings to drop further then hire these guys for 2003.

My own suggestion would be the three lunatics from the Aussie V8 Brutes. They rock ;-)
Old 23 Dec 2002, 18:55 (Ref:456316)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ben Edwards has already dne the Touring Cars for ITV, so his promotion to F1 coverage would be great, but I'd still prefer Brundle to be involved.
Old 23 Dec 2002, 18:55 (Ref:456317)   #12
Guy Goddard2
Racer

Guy Goddard2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brundle would have to choose between commentating or going to Jaguar as he could hardly be objective if he was "in bed" with one of the teams.
Old 23 Dec 2002, 20:09 (Ref:456366)   #13
GXH
Racer

GXH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Ben and Martin would be the dream team 4 itv, now that we have 2 do with out sky's coverage its the next best thing..... untill the BBC get it back
Old 23 Dec 2002, 21:36 (Ref:456412)   #14
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
But I reckon Martin enjoys the tv work, and any role with Jag would conflict with his existing professional relationship with DC.
A little like his commentary work?
Old 23 Dec 2002, 21:47 (Ref:456420)   #15
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Common guys, be real. If Martin were to take over from Lauda and run Jaguar, he would be sweating it out in the pits during every race. This is a full time job - 26 hours a day, 8 days a week. How on earth would anyone even contemplate he could commentate as well? However, I would think that the CEO job at Jaguar would pay a helluva lot more than ITV for his commentary. Niki's settlement at Jaguar was rumoured to be three and a half million. With that sort of income for a year, Martin could retire afterwards.
As for being DC's advisor or manager or agent or whatever, I can't see the conflict of interest here. He certainly wouldn't be telling DC to move over for a Jaguar driver during a race now, would he?
The thing about the Jaguar CEO position, it seems to be a poisoned chalice, with turnover being higher than their driver turnover.
Old 23 Dec 2002, 21:59 (Ref:456428)   #16
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's hardly objective as DC's manager...

what is Brundle's back round in race teammanagement? Ex-racing drivers really shouldnt be running teams, their massive egos get in the way.
Old 23 Dec 2002, 22:46 (Ref:456457)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
DC certainly doesn't get biased treatment in the commentary box from Martin. Sometimes we get a bit of insider information, but that's it. When he has to be critical of DC he is.

As I mentioned before. Martin was involved in Arrows and commentating in 1997. So I don't see how there can be conflict if he has a similar role with Jaguar.

Of course, it depends what his role is. If he is offered the same role that Lauda turned down the other day then this isn't a 24/7 running of Jaguar F1. It is an advisory role. (?)

I doubt it'll be the day-to-day CEO job.

But then I doubt it'll be any job!
Old 24 Dec 2002, 00:31 (Ref:456514)   #18
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Maybe Jaguar will approach Bobby, or even Jackie - who knows? The silly season isn't over, not by a long shot.
Old 24 Dec 2002, 10:06 (Ref:456671)   #19
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've seen plenty of rumours (that's all they are) that Jaguar/Ford are trying everything to get Jackie back into the operation.
Old 24 Dec 2002, 13:11 (Ref:456764)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Isn't Jackie involved (temporarily) at the moment?
Old 24 Dec 2002, 14:19 (Ref:456800)   #21
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
He certainly used to be with Jaguar to "keep the sponsors and guests happy" basically. Can't remember if he quit that or not.
Old 24 Dec 2002, 14:31 (Ref:456809)   #22
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
Maybe Jaguar will approach [..........]Jackie - who knows?
They have and he turned it down.
Old 24 Dec 2002, 14:34 (Ref:456811)   #23
Schumacher
Racer

Schumacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another desperate attempt by Jaguar.What could Brundle bring to the team?DC?That would be a bigger screw up than signing Pizzonia and Webber.
Old 25 Dec 2002, 00:29 (Ref:457063)   #24
SPOONERBORO
Veteran

United Kingdom
UK
SPOONERBORO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
think Mansell will spearhead the Ford operation at Jordan as a go between jordan and martin whitaker ford motorsport boss... Mansell worked with Ford both in Indycar and his touring car adventures he also has close working's with Eddie Jordan and has tested for his team in 1996/7 i think it was