Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Jun 2005, 22:23 (Ref:1318553)   #1
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Next American F1 Driver

In this week's Sports Illustrated, there was an article saying that Scott Speed of GP2 will move up to Formula1 next year. Here is a link to the article...
http://premium.si.cnn.com/pr/subs/si...606/index.html

I know nothing of Speed except of what is written in the article, and it would be great to see an American in F1, especially one who may be competitive, unlike our last guy, Michael Andretti. What do you think of this rising star?

You may have to register an account at the website to read the article. It's free and you don't have to subscribe or be a subscriber to the magazine to sign up.
Old 2 Jun 2005, 22:49 (Ref:1318565)   #2
Bezzen
Racer

Sweden
Sundsvall
Bezzen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBezzen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, Scott does seem to have quite a bit of speed.

I think he'll go far.
Old 2 Jun 2005, 23:40 (Ref:1318584)   #3
Nismo
Racer

Nismo is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Maybe speed is an exception, but past american drivers have not really done much! expect in cart or nascar going around in circles..when they have tried F1 they have not exactly shined.

Mario Andretti an exception, the guy is a legend in his own right. Even a mediocre driver who learns his racing craft in europe totally dominates in american series ie IRL CART etc...
Old 2 Jun 2005, 23:40 (Ref:1318585)   #4
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I hope he's more like Mario than Michael....
Old 2 Jun 2005, 23:42 (Ref:1318586)   #5
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The way the media has been spicing things up with the IRL recently you'd believe Danica Patrick would be on the cards, she's American right?
That would certainly gain interest in F1, and then Rossi could join as Barrichello could leave to BAR, It's alll spicing up and would certainly bring more media interest into F1.

Back to the topic, it would be nice to see an American again racing in F1, but surely Patrick is looking likely?

What happened to that team Phoenix back in 2001 who were rumored to take over Prost, they were a US team wern't they?

Luke.
Old 2 Jun 2005, 23:50 (Ref:1318589)   #6
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
The way the media has been spicing things up with the IRL recently you'd believe Danica Patrick would be on the cards, she's American right?
That would certainly gain interest in F1, and then Rossi could join as Barrichello could leave to BAR, It's alll spicing up and would certainly bring more media interest into F1.

Back to the topic, it would be nice to see an American again racing in F1, but surely Patrick is looking likely?

What happened to that team Phoenix back in 2001 who were rumored to take over Prost, they were a US team wern't they?

Luke.
Team Phoenix was a Tom Walkinshaw deal
Old 3 Jun 2005, 05:33 (Ref:1318660)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismo
Maybe speed is an exception, but past american drivers have not really done much!

Phil Hill - world champion

Dan Gurney - race winner

Mario Andretti - world champion

Eddie Cheever - solid points scorer for many years

That's fairly decent for a start.

Michael Andretti didn't do very well - a solitary podium aside.

But Speed's different.

He moved here at an early stage in his career and is committed to living near to the team - unlike Michael who stayed in Pennsyllvania and commuted in by Concorde when required.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 07:01 (Ref:1318687)   #8
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In the future I could certainly see Patrick with a drive for say Jordan or possibly Minardi as she could bring a few dollars into the team. In the near future Speed does seem to have the momentum behind him.

Does he have any major sponsors backing him?
Old 3 Jun 2005, 07:11 (Ref:1318695)   #9
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg
In the future I could certainly see Patrick with a drive for say Jordan or possibly Minardi as she could bring a few dollars into the team. In the near future Speed does seem to have the momentum behind him.

Does he have any major sponsors backing him?
Yes Red Bull has been paying the bills for a while.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 07:13 (Ref:1318696)   #10
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Speeds possible , he is showing some good pace in GP2 and would seem to be the most likely at present.

isnt there an american running in BF3 at the moment as well ?

hows he going then ?
Old 3 Jun 2005, 07:19 (Ref:1318703)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes there is, Marcus.

Charlie Kimball.

He won both races last weekend at Thruxton.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 07:28 (Ref:1318708)   #12
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speed, albeit American, wouldn't arrive to f1 without an European background, which is necessary to figure decently.
Much will depend on which team will hire him.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 09:53 (Ref:1318809)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought Speed had raced in Europe for several years already. The way he's gone in GP2 shows that he knows what he's doing. If he does well in the Red Bull tests he has to be worth consdiering for next season. And frankly, considering that F1 isn't the biggest form of racing there and never has been, the country has quite an impressive track record of producing F1 drivers.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 10:28 (Ref:1318829)   #14
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke

Luke.
Women lack the upper body and neck strength for F1. IRL drivers have more head support.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 10:42 (Ref:1318841)   #15
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Danica Patrick is certainly shaping up to be one of those drivers who gets better as they progress up the ladder. Her Toyota Atlantic career was steady enough but didn't really suggest that she could be fighting for the lead of the Indy 500. So perhaps she will get to F1. It would be interesting to have a definitive answer to whether women can physically handle competitive F1. Danica is very teeny though - 5'2", I think? - and one does have to wonder if that could be a problem.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 10:45 (Ref:1318844)   #16
jock25
Racer

jock25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speed will definitely be the next US driver in F1. He has the backing of Red Bull and is their ultimate ambition not for the team to become a sort of "US" F1 team? A move into the 3rd driver role at Red Bull for 2006 (probably at the expense of Klien) looks a good bet assuming he maintains his strong form for the rest of the season.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 11:37 (Ref:1318907)   #17
Bezzen
Racer

Sweden
Sundsvall
Bezzen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBezzen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scott Speed totally dominated European Formula Renault 2000 last year with 8 wins and 9 pole positions (total of 11 podium finishes) in 16 races. And European Renault 2000 is no picnic, there were over 60 competitors during the season.

And now he's on the podium in GP2 as well.

As he is a Red Bull driver I think there's no question that he will be in one of their cars. He will probably be their friday driver in Canada and USA (he's testing the F1 now and being evaluated for the friday role in these two gp's) this year. And I'm certain he will be at least their third driver next year.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 11:45 (Ref:1318912)   #18
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The average female lacks the strength, nothing to stop them from going to the gym and training like a boy does.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 11:45 (Ref:1318913)   #19
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Red Bull have been pushing their search for the next big American driver for a few years now and certainly of all the drivers Red Bull employ Speed has to be the number one contender to be the first American on the F1 grid in a loooong time.

I bet he's the 3rd driver in 2006 moving onto the 2nd Red Bull Racing seat in 2007, just in time for a the new venue of the US GP I suspect.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 12:06 (Ref:1318950)   #20
Nismo
Racer

Nismo is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
she is 2 inches shorter than katayama! remeber he suffered from his head buffeting ...
Old 3 Jun 2005, 12:07 (Ref:1318952)   #21
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Cut Jaguar
I bet he's the 3rd driver in 2006 moving onto the 2nd Red Bull Racing seat in 2007, just in time for a the new venue of the US GP I suspect.
Long Beach making a come-back, maybe?

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 3 Jun 2005, 12:07 (Ref:1318953)   #22
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Danica isn't strong enough for F1, then neither is Ant.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 12:07 (Ref:1318954)   #23
Kicking-back
Veteran

Katayama's head wasn't buffeting - the "nodding" was something he did himself.

He even does it driving a road car.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 12:31 (Ref:1318983)   #24
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess it's similar to Jean's memorable mannerism of leaning into the corners the way a motorbike racer would.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 13:08 (Ref:1319020)   #25
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 429CJ
Long Beach making a come-back, maybe?
That's the rumour doing the rounds in some magazines, Indy just hasn't caught on like people hoped it would. Personally I think it's more down to F1 than the track though.