Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 25 Mar 2003, 12:23 (Ref:547377)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speed World Challenge

I did quite a few interviews with guys from the Speed World Challenge while I was at Sebring, and it's truly amazing how big a response I have received from both the teams and their fans! One team posted a link to our website and we have received 272 unique visitors in 10 days just from that team alone.

If you haven't sen a SWC race or you haven't gone into their paddock to talk to the guys, you should do both. If you want to know what your car would be like on the track (and you want a few hints about how to make it do what their cars do) they have the time to talk to you about it and they really enjoy it. One team told me that each driver had talked to more than 50 people in 2 days in depth about their cars.

Besides that, there are no snobs in SWC and nobody "wants to be alone" -- if you want your kids to see what racing is all about, take them into the SWC paddock and let them meet the drivers.

This is racing the way we old fogies remember it and it's the fastest growing series in North America although it gets very little PR so far.

We're going to change that though.
Old 26 Mar 2003, 03:58 (Ref:548281)   #2
RobweenerPI
Rookie

RobweenerPI should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree 100 percent

I agree 100% Liz SWC has a bunch of class acts racing in it. I love the large variety of cars that can be seen each weekend too. The cars are fast and competative too. GT is a bit less so that TC however but getting better. The only thing the TC series needs now is about 3 or 4 factory Cavaliers .
Old 26 Mar 2003, 14:55 (Ref:548817)   #3
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree speedworldChallenge could be like the old BTCC, full grids and real racing, my fave Saloon class in the states
Old 27 Mar 2003, 04:46 (Ref:549585)   #4
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: I agree 100 percent

Quote:
Originally posted by RobweenerPI
The only thing the TC series needs now is about 3 or 4 factory Cavaliers .
Yeah, it would be interesting to have a black/white GM Goodwrench and/or GMAC backed Cavaliars!!! Of course, a pair of Ford Credit backed Foci would be equally cool! Of course, the underdog would be a pair of Mopar sponsored Dodge SXs!!
Old 29 Mar 2003, 19:17 (Ref:552318)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a reminder for the North Americans that Speed World Challenge will be on today at 4 pm and 9 pm (Touring Cars) and 5 p.m./10 pm (GT). It's the round from Sebring and was an exciting race -- go over and read my interviews first so you'll know the guys to cheer for.
Old 29 Mar 2003, 19:22 (Ref:552321)   #6
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll read the reviews after I watch, Liz. No sense in ruining my anticipation for the opening round of the greatest racing series in the world!
Old 30 Mar 2003, 01:22 (Ref:552573)   #7
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GOOD show at sebring, did anyone see it- short race though-
Old 30 Mar 2003, 01:51 (Ref:552589)   #8
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Woohoo! Touring was rather boring, but GT was great! I was _really_ worried when they brought on the slicks, but it hasn't hurt competition!

Hans Stuck=Best tintop driver _ever_.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 30 Mar 2003 at 01:53.
Old 30 Mar 2003, 05:01 (Ref:552672)   #9
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
fast95pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree. SWC is great racing !! I taped the races today.
Working night shifts sucks..Grrrr !!
Old 30 Mar 2003, 17:39 (Ref:553001)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Yes, that was pretty tame for a Touring Car race (we all said so at the time, trying to find something to write about!) but the ending was exciting. Phil McClure is a great guy and we were all pleased to see him win, wishing no bad luck to the Audis but it was time they got beaten.

Next round is at Mosport the middle of May and you should see some big improvements to the new Subaru team (Irish Mike's Racing) and Corvettes (Fast Track Motorsport) which were both fighting gremlins in Sebring. PLUS, if it rains at Mosport which if often, alas, does, the Subarus will be right at the front of the field due to thei four wheel drive.

Roger Foo has a future in television. He is quite a personality!
Old 30 Mar 2003, 23:46 (Ref:553266)   #11
Jack Man
Racer

Canada
Mississauga Ont Canada
Jack Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too was glad to see the Audi team take it on the chin and i'm really looking forward to the Mosport round. . Also if you have kids with you make sure you take them through the WSC paddock they always make them welcome. I think my little brother sat in just about every car on the grid at Mosport the last couple of years. My congratulations go out to Mr McClure on his victory, well done Phil.
Old 31 Mar 2003, 01:33 (Ref:553314)   #12
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
fast95pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be cheering Young's Saleen.It's gonna fly up the Andretti Straight !! (and not break, I hope..)
Old 31 Mar 2003, 02:42 (Ref:553353)   #13
Liz
Veteran

Didn't Young win VIR last season? I know he led quite a bit of it if he didn't win outright -- lots of people were amazed because it was like he came from nowhere.
Old 31 Mar 2003, 06:52 (Ref:553451)   #14
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watched both races, and man, what an improvement!

Touring wasn't quite the bumping and banging it usually is, but I like that more types of cars are running well. A couple years ago, it was all BMW and Acura.

In GT,the new tires(tyres), have made the series what it should be. As I am the Chevguy, it is wonderful to see a Vette dominate the race. I think the soft tires have really evened out the grip. Go Toyo! I don't believe heat had any role in that race, as it was about to rain. It will be interesting to see how fast the Saleen and Vettes use up the rear rubber when the sun burns down.

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller
Old 2 Apr 2003, 03:01 (Ref:555485)   #15
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Didn't Young win VIR last season? I know he led quite a bit of it if he didn't win outright -- lots of people were amazed because it was like he came from nowhere.
Yes, Young won the GT at VIR last year. SWC needs to get VIR back on the schedule for 2004 as it is a great track.

BTW, Liz is becoming quite the celebrity over on the World Challenge board due to her excellent interviews of the WC drivers. I urge everyone to go to RFMSPORTS and read her articles.

No question in my mind that SWC is one of the great road racing series, racing the way it was meant to be.

Last edited by muggle not; 2 Apr 2003 at 03:02.