Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 14 Apr 2005, 09:34 (Ref:1277845)   #1
jock25
Racer

jock25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LA "alternative" to Long Beach

Kevin Kalkhoven was quoted this week saying that CCWS has a contigency plan for a street race in Los Angeles, should Dover Motorsport decide to jump ship with the Long Beach GP. Surely a Champ Car race in Los Angeles would be a better step forward for the series than remaining at Long Beach?

Long Beach certainly has the history, an established support base and a nice location but a race in LA could drop Champ Cars into the middle of a massive potential market for fans and sponsors.

What does everyone else think?

Last edited by jock25; 14 Apr 2005 at 09:34.
Old 14 Apr 2005, 10:06 (Ref:1277881)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I'd imagine it's more of a "contingency idea" than a "contingency plan". And the longer the LBGPA holds out, the less likely this scenerio becomes.
Old 14 Apr 2005, 10:15 (Ref:1277888)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd be slightly sceptical about it going ahead.

Long Beach was an area which was down-and-out before it had a race, and it has used the event to lead to fantastic regeneration.

As a city, LA has a lot going on, and may wonder what it would gain from having such an event.
Old 14 Apr 2005, 14:41 (Ref:1278090)   #4
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be better if LB kept Champ Car but if they don't Personally I would go see Champ Car instead so.....go Kevin.
Old 14 Apr 2005, 15:08 (Ref:1278106)   #5
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
San Diego?
Old 14 Apr 2005, 15:49 (Ref:1278129)   #6
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the contingency plan is, talk to people in LA if the LBGP falls through for CC. They might even have had some casual talks, but I'm sure nothing is anywhere close to happening.
Old 14 Apr 2005, 16:25 (Ref:1278155)   #7
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hell, have 'em race up and down the hills in San Francisco - now that would be an interesting race

Kidding aside, it all depends on the layout - given the current restrictions when it comes to develop and improve the Long Beach layout, I'm sure they could put together a much better layout in LA starting from a clean sheet of paper.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 01:21 (Ref:1278459)   #8
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope they're doing more than just talking about it. There was a lot of serious talk about LB making the switch. It was the hot topic at the event. I hope not. There was a heckuva lot of good racing last weekend.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 02:49 (Ref:1278480)   #9
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflagger
There was a heckuva lot of good racing last weekend.
No kidding. CC did the best it could to show the LBGP people why they should stick with what is working. Hopefully this is an indication of how the season will progress. One of the factors mentioned was which series had more forward momentum. A terrific season by CC would help.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 06:19 (Ref:1278557)   #10
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racinthestreets
San Diego?
There was that Trans Am race a few years back at some airfield. I wondered what happened to that?

I lived in San Diego for a few years, and I thought that the downtown area near Petco Park and the Convention Center would be kind of a neat street race venue.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 09:29 (Ref:1278709)   #11
jock25
Racer

jock25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm glad there are some more fans who are positive to the LA idea. KK is a shrewd businessman and whether or not the comments are posturing for the LBGP negotiations, it would be a surprise if the negotiations for an LA race amounted to only a few "what if" conversations.

It is certainly true to say Long Beach used the Indycar/Champ Car races to regenerate but now that process is effectively completed surely Champ Car must ask what there is to get out of Long Beach anymore? IMHO comparing Long Beach with a race in LA...well, there is no comparison!
Old 15 Apr 2005, 17:18 (Ref:1279083)   #12
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Alright... assuming that there can be an LA street race, where could it be held?
Old 15 Apr 2005, 22:19 (Ref:1279235)   #13
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar7605
Alright... assuming that there can be an LA street race, where could it be held?
In the street, silly!
Old 15 Apr 2005, 22:22 (Ref:1279239)   #14
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Actually, blueflagger, it would be "on" the street.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 22:39 (Ref:1279247)   #15
blueflagger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
Actually, blueflagger, it would be "on" the street.
And on more than one street or the track will have two very tight hairpins.

How about the entry road to LAX?
Old 15 Apr 2005, 22:44 (Ref:1279251)   #16
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they lose Long Beach, I'm pulling for Santa Monica. Main Straitaway on Pallisades Beach Road. Yeah That would be sweet
Old 15 Apr 2005, 23:57 (Ref:1279285)   #17
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemachine
If they lose Long Beach, I'm pulling for Santa Monica. Main Straitaway on Pallisades Beach Road. Yeah That would be sweet
agreed !! that would be a good alternitive to long beach.
Old 16 Apr 2005, 07:25 (Ref:1279452)   #18
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to remember Historic & NASCAR (west division?) races held a few years back near the main rail station.
Old 16 Apr 2005, 08:13 (Ref:1279465)   #19
Sivat
Rookie

United States
Long Beach, CA
Sivat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't figure out where they could hold the race. The problem is that it will effectively close down the area for at least 4 days. That works in long beach because the area they close is right on the beach and somewhat out of the way. The only area really effected is shoreline village, which sees much more business that weekend so they don't mind. Plus, the area is big enough to have the track and the stands. Considering there was talk about cancelling the LA marathon because it disrupted the city for one day means that an LA race seems very unlikely.
Old 16 Apr 2005, 08:22 (Ref:1279467)   #20
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemachine
Santa Monica would be neat, but wouldn't it basically be a carbon copy of Long Beach, or even Surfers Paradise?

How about something really outrageous, like having a race on Catalina Island?
Old 16 Apr 2005, 08:24 (Ref:1279468)   #21
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Wait... for those who are in the LA area, how is Century City? I went to a club there a couple of years ago, and I remember the streets being wide and there would be enough space for grandstands and pit boxes. At least, that's what it looked like to me at night.
Old 17 Apr 2005, 15:47 (Ref:1280468)   #22
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gentilozzi first floated that idea of an LA race in December, 2003, before the bankruptcy. IMO, Kalkhoven has made two bad moves in this situation that will hurt Champ Car as this plays itself out:

1. His comment about LA will be regarded as a threat. Doubt that Long Beach will take that threat seriously as things shake out and will probably be hostile to it. When anyone for any reason gets threatened, they become hostile to it.

2. Screwing around with the Long Beach City Council. This was a panic move in case TG wanted to buy the Long Beach race from Dover. Contrary to Robin Miller's rumors, TG has given no indication that he wanted to "buy" a street race. The City Council of Long Beach and the LBGPA have a contract through 2010. The LBGPA selects the racing to be held and makes the deals. Kalkhoven trying to woo three female City Council members by Gulfstreaming them to San Jose may have had its merits but neither the City Council nor the LBGPA are going to allow Kalkhoven to get in between them when all is said and done. That's THEIR town and community. Not Kevin's.

Where this race goes, I have no idea, but the CC cards aren't being played very well.
Old 17 Apr 2005, 16:35 (Ref:1280504)   #23
trout
Rookie

Canada
Winnipeg. Manitoba
trout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't know Indy.

How else can CCWS play it out? If they do nothing - everyone thinks they don't want the event. And if they lose it - we will all be calling them a ship of fools.

I think the cards are being played in the only fashion that they can. This is in the negotiation stages now - don't expect everyone to play nice in the sand box.

I think the salvo to Long Beach was needed. If you underestimate us, we will plan something in your back yard. It has to be said.

But that is just my 2 cents
Old 18 Apr 2005, 01:02 (Ref:1280802)   #24
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan
Hell, have 'em race up and down the hills in San Francisco - now that would be an interesting race

Kidding aside, it all depends on the layout - given the current restrictions when it comes to develop and improve the Long Beach layout, I'm sure they could put together a much better layout in LA starting from a clean sheet of paper.
Oh, if you were running the series!

It'd be bankrupt by now, but what GREAT racing it would have provided already!

Yeah, the LB layout isn't good (though that didn't seem to stop passes from happening this year...) but it makes a profit, so much so that other series are sniffing around it to claim it as their own, same old story!

I hope this "contingency plan" or whatever they're calling it remains just that, a plan. One that doesn't have to come into fruition!
Old 18 Apr 2005, 01:52 (Ref:1280819)   #25
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Quote:
Trout:

If you underestimate us, we will plan something in your back yard.
Great analogy. Works as well with everyday-life as it does OW unification.
Won't go off-topic, but thanks for the "wisdom".

Last edited by macdaddy; 18 Apr 2005 at 01:52.