Old 2 May 2005, 16:45 (Ref:1291548)   #1
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Robin Miller - Straight from the Gearbox

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/N...le.asp?ID=8932

Is it just me, or is Mr. Miller just a little bit melancholy?
Old 2 May 2005, 17:05 (Ref:1291555)   #2
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah he always seems to be that way. I think it's stupid that the two sides can't get together to run a couple of races together. Perhaps with this recent stuff it's annoying RM as well.
Old 5 May 2005, 12:30 (Ref:1293619)   #3
mueber
Rookie

United States
Fort Wayne, IN, USA
mueber should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get over it Robin.

Sadly, like Mario, Robin is starting to sound like an out of touch old geezer.

The IRL is founded on a business model, such as it is, that was out of date in 1975. A model that says Indy is the center of the motor racing universe. The number of people who feel that way is down to the few who post on Track Forum. What scares me is that this tripe is on the Champ Car web site, the last place it should be.

The future will be nostalgia free, and the responsibility for the future lies squarely on the shoulders of Kevin Kalkhoven. I am beginning to wonder if he is up to it.
Old 5 May 2005, 14:18 (Ref:1293731)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Indy is the centre of the North American racing universe though mueber. The IRL was always aimed at being US-based, which is what the US audience want. Their schedule isn't full of street circuits, and whether you like to admit it or not Indy has a higher attendance than 6-10 other races (in either championship) put together.
Old 5 May 2005, 16:22 (Ref:1293811)   #5
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mueber
Sadly, like Mario, Robin is starting to sound like an out of touch old geezer.

The IRL is founded on a business model, such as it is, that was out of date in 1975. A model that says Indy is the center of the motor racing universe. The number of people who feel that way is down to the few who post on Track Forum. What scares me is that this tripe is on the Champ Car web site, the last place it should be.

The future will be nostalgia free, and the responsibility for the future lies squarely on the shoulders of Kevin Kalkhoven. I am beginning to wonder if he is up to it.
Mueber, you are from Indiana, so I am curious... is there still excitement for the Indy 500? And if there still is, is it still the same as it was during the CART days?
Old 5 May 2005, 17:27 (Ref:1293847)   #6
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The news stations like to make a huge deal out of the Indy 500 and there are always special events and parties late in May to attract the out-of-towners, but is there excitement for the race itself? It seems like most of the people who get the most excited are those who have race tickets, and it is obvious when you look at the attendance at practices and qualifying that there is not as much interest as in the past. But it's still Indy's claim to fame.
Old 5 May 2005, 17:33 (Ref:1293848)   #7
mueber
Rookie

United States
Fort Wayne, IN, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar7605
Mueber, you are from Indiana, so I am curious... is there still excitement for the Indy 500? And if there still is, is it still the same as it was during the CART days?
To be honest, I am not objective since I have nothing but contempt for what Tony George has done to open wheel in the United States. But here are my impressions.

1. I live in an urban neighborhood populated by blue collar types and poor urban professionals. They have Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart and Dale, Jr stickers on their minivans and pickup trucks. They don’t have IRL stickers on their vehicles, in spite of the Kelley Team being here since the start of the IRL.

2. The local news media is probably more aware of what is going on than they were during the CART days. They were very supportive of Tom Kelley and the IRL initially, but seem to have lost interest. I’m sure a few editorials will be done this month, but I doubt a great deal of money will be sent on sending reporters and camera operators down to Indy for interviews and features.

3. As for a comparison to the CART days, we don’t like furriners around here; this region is a conservative as you can get, so you would think Version 1.1 of the Vision would have been just the ticket for this area, but the television ratings and attendance are down. Friends of mine, who don’t feel the way I do, have stopped going to the 500 out of apathy, and I think the interest is down in general. You just don't here people talking about the 500 at the water cooler anymore. If someone does bring it up, it soon turns into a NASCAR conversation.

4. As for me. I took the week before the first weekend of time trials as vacation for at least twenty straight years. I was at every Indianapolis 500 from Rutherford’s first win to Villeneuve’s win. I haven’t been back since the split.
Old 5 May 2005, 18:27 (Ref:1293877)   #8
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote from mueber: "1. I live in an urban neighborhood populated by blue collar types and poor urban professionals. They have Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart and Dale, Jr stickers on their minivans and pickup trucks. They don’t have IRL stickers on their vehicles, in spite of the Kelley Team being here since the start of the IRL."

So I suppose that Formula 1, CART and the IRL should all just pack up and leave the American market all together? I don't see how that point is relevant. Open wheel racing in the United States is not going to surpass NASCAR in terms of popularity anytime soon.
Old 5 May 2005, 18:50 (Ref:1293886)   #9
mueber
Rookie

United States
Fort Wayne, IN, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
Quote from mueber: "1. I live in an urban neighborhood populated by blue collar types and poor urban professionals. They have Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart and Dale, Jr stickers on their minivans and pickup trucks. They don’t have IRL stickers on their vehicles, in spite of the Kelley Team being here since the start of the IRL."

So I suppose that Formula 1, CART and the IRL should all just pack up and leave the American market all together? I don't see how that point is relevant. Open wheel racing in the United States is not going to surpass NASCAR in terms of popularity anytime soon.
He asked me a question about the level of interest in the Indianapolis 500 here in Fort Wayne, all of 150 miles north of Inidianapolis; I answered it. This argue for the sake of arguing stuff is why I don't visit this site very often.
Old 7 May 2005, 03:42 (Ref:1294835)   #10
Electrocuted
Rookie

United States
Electrocuted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OW in it's best years was never as popular as NASCAR is.
And IMO, it never would have and never will,,, because the team owners hire the drivers. Since early 90's when everyone retired,, those choices of drivers have damaged OW racing more then anything else. (sorry for the off-topic. felt good to get that off my chest )

Ol Robin Miller. The second worst thing to happen to OW in the USA.
Think about it,, EVERYONE was happy when KK got PG to shut up. Because every time PG opened his mouth he hurt the series. I think most everyone will agree with that comment? So what's the difference in PG and RM? None! Both equally hurt the series every time they speak!

Look at today's topics on all the forums,,,,,
New highly respected guy hired to work with promoters and sponsors and such. Great choice. But,,,, his ability to help the series is Zip Zero Nada because on the FRONT PAGE of CC's official website,, articles by Miller about a merger. Miller articles with more "IRL's" then "CC's." And the Paul Tracy circus performers doing the most unprofessional Roundtable talk I've ever heard of.
Why hire a guy to make things happen,,, when ya give him Robin Miller and Gang as "support??"

At another function another VP guy states CC plans to, "go head to head with F1."
Right,,,, with all those professional Robin Miller and Gang articles on the CC website. Sure.... Head to head with F1. How about head to head with Sanford and Son?

Here's another example....
DOVER: Wow. Just got a phone call,, KK hired a really great guy. Lets see what the CC website says.
CC WEBSITE: IRL this, IRL that. Merger. "Shills" doing a Roundtable?
DOVER: I dont understand what KK is doing? Professional series or suicide? Picked up the phone,, dialed 1-800-Indy-500, Tony, still want LB?

Sign the petition to save ChampCar,, just say NO to Robin and Gang!
Or at least ask KK to tell them they are payed, hourly minimum wage I hope,, to write positive articles about CC!

Sorry it was long. RM has done harm to US OW for 10 years. It's time that he is stopped!
Old 7 May 2005, 10:05 (Ref:1294968)   #11
Racer

Antarctica
FL
2112 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Indy is the centre of the North American racing universe though mueber.

sorry, had to do it.
Old 8 May 2005, 18:12 (Ref:1295917)   #12
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to agree with 2112. Indy may still be the largest North American open wheel race (and dwindling quickly) but it has fallen far from the center of the North American racing universe, most specifically in the USA. At present NASCAR is where it's at. Blaaaggghhh!
Old 8 May 2005, 18:44 (Ref:1295935)   #13
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To put it in perspective, I just read a statistic that 17 of the 20 largest sporting events in the WORLD are NASCAR events. I also read that the only reason NASCAR didn't outsell the 500 at Indy last year was because they limited the sales of infield tickets for the Brickyard 400.

...and Electrocuted, your are spot on.
Old 9 May 2005, 06:52 (Ref:1296283)   #14
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indy may have been the biggest event at one time, but no more. Each year it continues to slip away.
Old 9 May 2005, 12:50 (Ref:1296590)   #15
mueber
Rookie

United States
Fort Wayne, IN, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatspot
To put it in perspective, I just read a statistic that 17 of the 20 largest sporting events in the WORLD are NASCAR events. I also read that the only reason NASCAR didn't outsell the 500 at Indy last year was because they limited the sales of infield tickets for the Brickyard 400.

...and Electrocuted, your are spot on.
Amen
Old 11 May 2005, 18:50 (Ref:1298564)   #16
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a study done a couple of years ago that measured the economic impact of sporting events in communities in the U.S. The top five were the Indianapolis 500, Brickyard 400, Super Bowl, Daytona 500 and USGP at Indy.
Old 14 May 2005, 13:08 (Ref:1300687)   #17
trout
Rookie

Canada
Winnipeg. Manitoba
trout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But it is the glue for Open Wheel racing. CCWS has never been the same since we left it. Nostalgia or not - sponsors, who by the way are old enough to buy into nostalgia - are looking for it. I want to see Tracy, Ranger and others compete at Indy. I am not American, but it is a sweet race to watch. Reunification is not about all the other IRL tracks - it's about Indy.

And yes Mueber, there does seem to be an argue for the sake of arguing theme on this thread. I appreciated your comments.

I don't think think we will ever overtake NASCAR or F1 in terms of popularity and I don't care. I want my Open Wheel racing back. C'est tous tabernacle!! Merci pour la visite.