Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Jun 2004, 18:51 (Ref:1009759)   #1
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The US GP farce

Isn't it sad that in this modern era of F1 we have such stupid stewarding and race directing?

Why wasn't the race red flagged during Ralfs accident?

Why did they let JPM risk his life for 80% of the race before telling him he was disqualified?

Why did help for Ralf take as long as a glacial shift?

And while I'm at it, do we really need to race on an oval section? The cars aren't designed to hit concrete at 200mph like IRL cars.

Interesting to see if Indy is still on the calendar next year.........hopefully it will be, but only after some pretty drastic improvements!
Old 20 Jun 2004, 18:55 (Ref:1009769)   #2
boom boom
Racer

boom boom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
where did he hit in the corner with the safer barrier or more on the straight where the safer barrier ends... I know with indy the cars go the other way around so the barrier really need not start as soon as it ends.. but F1 goes the oppistie way, so maybe there is concern there as well, but i haven't seen the race yet and do not knwo where he crashed
I agree with you on the race knowlesy.... hopefully they learn some lesson
Old 20 Jun 2004, 18:57 (Ref:1009777)   #3
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't see the teams being very happy at what went on in the stewards room today, the decision making process as a whole needs to be reviewed & fixed before France in two weeks time.
Old 20 Jun 2004, 19:02 (Ref:1009783)   #4
300kph
Racer

300kph should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The race is a candidate to be the worst this year when it comes to administration...it's frustrating...
Old 20 Jun 2004, 19:13 (Ref:1009798)   #5
tangoed sparky
Racer

England
DERBY
tangoed sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seems that you have to be german and driving a red car to get a race stop. When michael broke his leg at silverstone that was a race stop even though he was off the track at the back of the gravel trap. This is the second time that they have carried on running with a driver ill in his car on the circuit. That should have been a red flag IMO.
Also why I am complaining why does michel always get away with almost breaking the rules?
Old 20 Jun 2004, 19:13 (Ref:1009800)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've split the what caused Ralf's accident into another thread

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=55942

Last edited by Adam43; 20 Jun 2004 at 19:13.
Old 20 Jun 2004, 19:17 (Ref:1009809)   #7
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1) You know what bothered me most about everything the time it took for marshalls in both the Ralf and Alonso incident to response.

2) Why run cars through mess when there is a clean pit lane.

3) Why run cars, on lap one/two, through mess when there is an oval to bypass it?

4) Why not red flag the race on lap 1

5) Why take longer than FIA stated time to tell Williams about JPM and then inforce another rule, pot/kettle?

6) Why no blowers to remove mess on track? CART has blowers why does an IRL track not have one (not CART/IRL fighting please just a point, IRL might have them but I not watch many of there races!)

That will do.. for now!
Old 20 Jun 2004, 19:19 (Ref:1009814)   #8
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I was a bit worried when the medical team took too long to get to Ralf. Imho medical personnel should've been there within 15 seconds, even if they'd have to drive in the opposite direction on the track.

Last edited by freud; 20 Jun 2004 at 19:20.
Old 20 Jun 2004, 19:22 (Ref:1009820)   #9
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
The most worrying aspect was that it took what seemed like an eternity for them to get to an accident, it's just not good enough.
Old 20 Jun 2004, 19:24 (Ref:1009826)   #10
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I too was amazed how slow the stewards take to get to Ralf, who is obviously in with some problems. The medical team was slow to get to the scene unlike usual FIA standards.. and even after securing Ralf, the medical vehicle was slow to get to the centre.

As for Juan..i've too think the reaction from the FIA is slow..but i would guess Williams had a few personnels discussing the situation and hence would have delayed the decision making.
Old 20 Jun 2004, 19:33 (Ref:1009860)   #11
tangoed sparky
Racer

England
DERBY
As a marshal I agree they did seem to take along time to get to the incidents. I think that in alot of US racing they do not go track side from the marshals posts it is usualy done by a fast response car/pick up. Maybe they were scared or busy eating donuts. I for one noticed that there was a marshal sat on the track wall at one corner and this is a nono in the uk. Also when marshaling at a GP you are required to wear a tabard with an indiviual FIA number on it so that they can keep an eye on you. I did not see any of the US marshals wearing a tabard. Maybe they do not have to?
Old 20 Jun 2004, 19:40 (Ref:1009886)   #12
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Race should have been red-flagged after Ralf's accident. Where were the doctor's? They took so long to get there. What was REALLY stupid was making the cars travel through the accident area. Even if they didn't want to stop the race, they should have at least gone through the pit-lane. Some very poor stewarding...

And let's not even get started on the JPM situation. That was just ridiculous.
Old 20 Jun 2004, 19:43 (Ref:1009893)   #13
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The SAFER barrier (NOT concrete!!!!) would have taken a lot of the energey off Ralf in his accident. Had he actully hit concrete, he would be a lot worse than he is right now.

Last edited by Down F0rce; 20 Jun 2004 at 19:44.
Old 20 Jun 2004, 19:44 (Ref:1009899)   #14
elspethhardie
Racer

Wales
South Wales
elspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeh i have said it over and over again mostly at my friend who isnt interested in f1 but im teaching her! i thought there was a certain period of time after an incident for the stewards to inform a team of an investigation and take action. in the back of my brain it is about 10laps (probably wrong) but it definatly not the amount of time they took to let monty know! Why did this happen?
Old 20 Jun 2004, 19:59 (Ref:1009937)   #15
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Unfortuntly TV schedules now take presidence over the lives of drivers. They won't stop races any more as it messes up TV schedules, I mean when was the last red flag (aside from Brazil 2003 which was at the end of the race)
Old 20 Jun 2004, 20:03 (Ref:1009945)   #16
tangoed sparky
Racer

England
DERBY
Maybe its been that long since the last red flag that some of the drivers might not know what they mean.
Old 20 Jun 2004, 22:23 (Ref:1010182)   #17
Kartracer88f
Rookie

Kartracer88f should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually Downforce he missed the SAFER by about 10 feet and did hit the concrete directly which made the lack of medical response all the more disgusting. I have seen a local amateur kart race with a quicker medical response. Jeezy
Old 21 Jun 2004, 03:24 (Ref:1010308)   #18
Nizmo32_josh
Rookie

Nizmo32_josh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can i also point out that when TGF made that magic restart the the timing monitors showed him as being 1 across the line. it dissapeared thn came back on with barri. in the lead of 0.00 ?????? The race was a farce..yes! BUT was it rigged???
Old 21 Jun 2004, 03:43 (Ref:1010310)   #19
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Oh God, the race rigged? More conspiracy bs? Pleeaaase...
Old 21 Jun 2004, 04:24 (Ref:1010324)   #20
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by tangoed sparky
I seems that you have to be german and driving a red car to get a race stop. When michael broke his leg at silverstone that was a race stop even though he was off the track at the back of the gravel trap.
Also why I am complaining why does michel always get away with almost breaking the rules?
Can we stop the conspiracy **** please that race was red flagged before michael's accident even occured

what should they do if he alsmost breaks the rules ALMOST penalize him?

I agree with the red flag comments though I thin kthe race should have been red flagged. Now I'm no marshal butit would seem that for the afety of the drivers the Marshals should be told not to touch or go near a possibly injured driver until Sid is there

As for going through the pitlane, that just creates a serious danger if anyone where to pit because I don't think there is a procedure for closing the pits, also imagine if DeMatta had lost his gearbox in line in the pitlane the chaos of people trying to avoid him
Old 21 Jun 2004, 05:12 (Ref:1010328)   #21
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ralf was in communication with his pit-not mortally wounded thogh it may have been serious. They did take too long to get their but this is the FIA safety crew after all,not CART, IRL or OWRS.

There probably is not a procedure for closing the track and using the pit lane-but there should be. The reason probably is that at most F1 circuits the straight is not the scene of most accidents and besides at most circuits the oit lane is not wide enough to do so safely and also at most circuits you have run off and the cars are rarely left in the centre of the track - Indy is unique in that respect amongst F1 circuits.
As for the Montoya decision...I'm a steward and I simply have nothing to say I can repeat here... The drivers have asked in the past for professional stewards and this really takes the cake. It should have been sorted out in the first five laps.

Last edited by Teretonga; 21 Jun 2004 at 05:15.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 07:48 (Ref:1010396)   #22
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think they should of red flagged the race, the safety car procedure was brought into to enable marshalls to safely clear 'minor' problems out of the way without disrupting the racing.

A driver sat apparently injured in the middle of the racetrack with a sea of debris around him, constituted a red flag and clear up IMO. If a situation like that is not deemed serious enough for a red flag, then one can only imagine what would ?

I'm sure that if a formula ford were sat in the middle of paddock hill bend at Brands Hatch, with the driver still inside and not attempting to get out - the red flag would have come out.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 08:23 (Ref:1010428)   #23
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Once again, it would be appreciated if people bother to check their info before posting another misinformed accusation of poor taste

Silverstone, as a733 said, is red flagged BEFORE MS spear off track.

but that is Off topics.

Back to USGP, i do think that a RED flag is absolutely necessary after Ralf's accident. Alonso's accident (puncture) and Ralf's accident (unknown at that point) should have suggested to the FIA that there's a good chance that something is wrong.

Furthermore, a red flag is absolutely important as it allows the medical team to get to Ralf and attend to him without the interference of other cars driving around them. I am quite irritated when i see the medical team having to make their way through the traffic, and that the ambulance isn't given a clean track to get to the medical centre as fast as possible.

Also, to spend so many laps wasted under a safety car poses a new set of danger to drivers who's tyres may have lost their pressure.

Finally, even without Red flag...i'm shocked they still allow the cars + safety car run over the debris on the track left over by Ralf's accident. It doesn't take a genius to order the cars to bypass the accident site using the pitlane. High speed + sharp debris + low pressure/temp = a potentially huge accident.

FIA needs to study this case carefully and instruct the race control of better handling of similar situation in the future.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 08:27 (Ref:1010431)   #24
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Was Silverstone 99 the last time a red flag was thrown in a race? I can't recall one since, maybe Nurburgring 1999 (after Diniz's accident?) but i'm not 100% certain.

:confused:

Last edited by Mr V; 21 Jun 2004 at 08:27.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 08:29 (Ref:1010435)   #25
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
Brazil 2003 the race was red flagged & ended prematurely after Alonso went crashing through Webber's debris.