Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Jun 2024, 13:14 (Ref:4217035)   #1
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Red Bull Ring - Track Limits

After the last couple of years where there were literally hundreds of track limit violations, it looks like a solution has been found to hopefully avoid a repeat.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...T3HHpwuEJ7PoHw

Gravel Strips and some blue lines. For me it was easier to understand looking at a photo.

I hope that this is a solution that works.
Old 27 Jun 2024, 14:37 (Ref:4217041)   #2
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
question is, does this then hurt or help RBR!
Old 27 Jun 2024, 15:10 (Ref:4217043)   #3
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
TBH, I have no idea how it play out. This could be a tricky weekend for all of them
Old 27 Jun 2024, 19:39 (Ref:4217071)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It doesn't have to be.
Old 28 Jun 2024, 09:39 (Ref:4217115)   #5
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Its kinda what a lot of people have been saying for years.

I would still prefer it if they had pure gravel all the way up to the barrier, but you have to concede in some areas. A small win I think.
Old 28 Jun 2024, 09:45 (Ref:4217116)   #6
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post

I would still prefer it if they had pure gravel all the way up to the barrier, but you have to concede in some areas. A small win I think.
I tend to agree with you. I think gravel traps were far better than run offs. The only problem with gravel was retrieval of cars. Made marshalling more awkward and having to use snatch vehicles, but that was the good old days of F1.
Old 28 Jun 2024, 10:14 (Ref:4217118)   #7
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post

I agree. But let's see how it works in practice. What is clear is that they could not continue as it was before.
Old 28 Jun 2024, 11:48 (Ref:4217125)   #8
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
I tend to agree with you. I think gravel traps were far better than run offs. The only problem with gravel was retrieval of cars. Made marshalling more awkward and having to use snatch vehicles, but that was the good old days of F1.
There were other problems.

Significant car damage and gravel being showered at high speed into pedestrian areas being two.
Old 28 Jun 2024, 16:08 (Ref:4217148)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The pedestrian issue I can certainly sympathise with. Car damage? Not really, if the drivers kept to track limits they wouldn't damage the cars. Simples.
Old 28 Jun 2024, 16:44 (Ref:4217149)   #10
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Car damage? Not really, if the drivers kept to track limits they wouldn't damage the cars. Simples.
I agree, but it's still a problem to the teams...
Old 28 Jun 2024, 19:10 (Ref:4217161)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Well, if the drivers keep on doing it, yes.....
Old 29 Jun 2024, 01:06 (Ref:4217179)   #12
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's time the FIA realised full gravel traps are not the scary thing they once were

Now we have fully strong roll bars backed up by the halo, rollover accidents are not to be feared as much as they used to be (and tbh are a good way to dissapate energy compared to side on impacts with barriers) and make the track a lot safer in wet conditions, where tarmac runoff completely lacks
(Also in the cases of brake failure/stuck throttles too)

Gravel also saves us from this track limits debacle that has plagued the sport in recent years too, a win win tbh

The improvements to the Red Bull Ring are a good start, now they just have to fill in the rest of the runoff behind this gravel strip too
Old 29 Jun 2024, 04:01 (Ref:4217181)   #13
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by codename_47 View Post
I think it's time the FIA realised full gravel traps are not the scary thing they once were
Probably slightly scarier on a motorbike.
Old 29 Jun 2024, 08:57 (Ref:4217191)   #14
flatlandsman
Racer

Ireland
Daventry
flatlandsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not really, a gravel trap on a bike is fine if it is level and not steeply raked, obviously this is an issue as level for anything means you just skate. The only issue with gravel and bikes is tumbling and your limbs sticking into the ground.

Track limits is an issue with bikes, but less so than cars as bikes tend to work better on normal tar rather than exist kerbs etc. and they are not the size of barges, I am convinced if F1 cars were narrower and shorter this issue would be less of a problem,
Old 29 Jun 2024, 09:23 (Ref:4217193)   #15
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Probably slightly scarier on a motorbike.
They are going to dig up the gravel traps and lay tarmac before the Moto GP round in August.
Old 29 Jun 2024, 15:30 (Ref:4217220)   #16
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
On the whole the changes to the track seemed to work. Unfortunately for Oscar Piastri he got caught out.
Old 29 Jun 2024, 16:42 (Ref:4217225)   #17
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Now that safety is less of a concern in F1, I had thought the lack of gravel had more to do with ensuring that small mistakes don’t result in cars getting beached forcing the race to be neutralized for extended periods while the car is removed?

The unintended consequence of their removal was then so so many track limit violations.

Which through better enforcement and solutions like what they have here now being preferred to bringing back the gravel now being preferred. I was surprised though that imola (I believe) had brought back gravel though we did see some offs there that were not great.

Not sure if there is a clear cut answer?
Old 29 Jun 2024, 17:18 (Ref:4217227)   #18
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Now that safety is less of a concern in F1, I had thought the lack of gravel had more to do with ensuring that small mistakes don’t result in cars getting beached forcing the race to be neutralized for extended periods while the car is removed?

The unintended consequence of their removal was then so so many track limit violations.

Which through better enforcement and solutions like what they have here now being preferred to bringing back the gravel now being preferred. I was surprised though that imola (I believe) had brought back gravel though we did see some offs there that were not great.

Race stoppages are a part of the race as anything else. Luck is part of the sport, deal with it and the resulting strategy gambles?

Not sure why strategy and race interruptions have anything to do with safety discussions tbh, but then I've spent all week arguing the same thing on various forums when Indycar have their dangerous policy of leaving a driver stranded on a live race course so they can allow the leaders to cycle through their pit stop strategy, THEN throw the full course yellow period for the danger.

I'd rather a race with 4 SC interruptions than one continually interrupted by track limits penalties.
At least the SC has the side effect of making the races more exciting, hearing a driver has picked up a 5/10 sec penalty has the exact opposite.
Old 29 Jun 2024, 18:38 (Ref:4217234)   #19
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post

I think it was multiple reasons. Both safety and also for the reason you mention (commercial). While you can say that stoppages are part of racing, it doesn't help the "show". Same for retirement of drivers. It doesn't help when fans show up and their favorite driver is out as he is stuck in gravel and can't rejoin.

Richard

Last edited by Richard C; 29 Jun 2024 at 18:44.
Old Yesterday, 10:20 (Ref:4217295)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C View Post
I think it was multiple reasons. Both safety and also for the reason you mention (commercial). While you can say that stoppages are part of racing, it doesn't help the "show". Same for retirement of drivers. It doesn't help when fans show up and their favorite driver is out as he is stuck in gravel and can't rejoin.

Richard
There are some who might say that a few retirements here and there actually does spice up the show, especially if they affect the inevitability of the outcome. Bulletproof reliability has been one of the major factors which has adversely affected the show IMO.
Old Yesterday, 12:24 (Ref:4217309)   #21
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
There are some who might say that a few retirements here and there actually does spice up the show, especially if they affect the inevitability of the outcome. Bulletproof reliability has been one of the major factors which has adversely affected the show IMO.
I agree. And to be clear, my post above is my understanding of the FOM/FIA perspective vs my personal opinion.

Richard
Old Yesterday, 12:25 (Ref:4217310)   #22
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
When I first started following F1in the early '70s, one of the major factors in a race was the attrition rate, which was mainly due to mechanical failure of one sort or another. You knew as soon as the cars had left the grid, that by the time the chequerd flag came out, not all of them would make it to the end of the race. Your favourite driver is leading and suddenly the engine lets go, or there is an oil leak and it's race over. These days, due to the improvements in reliability, it's not uncommon for the entire grid to finish a race.
Old Yesterday, 12:51 (Ref:4217312)   #23
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And then there was the race (was it in Brazil?) during which Hamilton got beached in the kitty litter, but because he kept the engine going, was then allowed to be hoisted off the gravel and put back on the track; from which he then was permitted to continue the race without penalty!
Old Yesterday, 14:18 (Ref:4217338)   #24
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Not really saying I’m against gravel or for prioritizing commercial/entertainment concerns…it’s more of an issue with handing out f1 equivalents of red cards for relatively minor mistakes I do think there is a sporting argument to be made against overly penalizing track limits….in this case particularly when hard racing is going on.

Dont know what the answer is, but I certainly dont think it’s as clear cut as others.
Old Yesterday, 14:23 (Ref:4217341)   #25
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Hard to argue against how exciting this race go tho!