Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Feb 2003, 06:20 (Ref:513123)   #1
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
2 Weeks to go!

Well, after another bring winter break, I'm ready for my F1 fix.

I always look forward to a new season, and despite not expecting to this year after Suzuka, the rule changes have really sparked my interest.

So with 14 days to go until the engines are fired up competition, what are you most look forward to.

Note: This is a positive thread, so take your 'sky is falling ****' somewhere else

For me, the top 3 things I'm looking forward to are:

1. How exciting is the new (new new) qualifying format, and the impact it has on shuffling the grid?

2. Has anyone come up with an innovation that will move them substantially up the grid?

3. Will Michael be challenged in his way to a 6th WDC?

I suspect I have the answers to all questions, but I can't wait to see it
Old 21 Feb 2003, 06:50 (Ref:513144)   #2
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
The things that I am looking forward to most of all are seeing which of the lessor teams will improve, how the new drivers perform, also how Mark Webber will go in Melbourne, what the new quals will feel like, where Bunsen and Jacques will qualify and finish, what channel 10 will come up with, .......

Wrex, are you going to give us a day by day count down?

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 21 Feb 2003 at 06:51.
Old 21 Feb 2003, 07:15 (Ref:513158)   #3
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I will most likely go on Saturday, for the rest I'll be glued to my TV
Old 21 Feb 2003, 09:55 (Ref:513238)   #4
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
It will be interesting to see how the new guys go too.Can da Matta make the jump up from CART?,will Firman be out of his depth in the Jordan?or will one of the other new guys stick their hand up and say I've got some talent?.Aussie is always a race of attrition so it could throw up some unusual results too.A Jag driver on the podium?.And can JPM and Ralf go the whole distance without taking each other off?.What ever happens it there will be plenty to keep you interested.
Old 21 Feb 2003, 11:08 (Ref:513290)   #5
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I haven't look forward to a season so much for years. Like you, I'm itching to now how the grid will shake out with the new rules, conceivably should the weather intervene we could see a Jordan, Sauber or even Minardi taking pole.

The we effectively have a 2nd start to the season at Silverstone, when all the toys are taken away.

It's going to be great, I can feel it in my bones!
Old 21 Feb 2003, 12:38 (Ref:513348)   #6
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Jordan and Minardi make it through the year, the championship is closer, overtaking returns and Spa is back for 2004, then I'll be happy. Oh and if M Schumacher retires before Albert Park
Old 21 Feb 2003, 12:47 (Ref:513352)   #7
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Friday 07/03
08.45 - 10.45 : F1 tests
11.00 - 12.00 : Free Pract. 1
13.00 - 14.00 : Qualif 1.2

Saturday 08/03
09.00 - 09.45 : Free Pract. 2.1
10.15 - 11.00 : Free Pract. 2.2

13.30 - 13.35 : Warm-up
14.00 - 15.00 : Qualif. 2

Sunday 09/03
14.00 - 16.00 : Race

Old 21 Feb 2003, 12:47 (Ref:513353)   #8
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I feel Mclaren definately think they are on to a winner in the electronics, which is why Ron is so put out by the proposed changes. If Mercedes have found the horsepower then I think this is where any serious challenge to Ferrari will come from. I also think that the Dark horse could be Toyota. They have looked impressive in testing and whiilst this is no real indication, Toyota do not have the need to impress sponsors trying to get finance that is the usual motivation in the winter testing.
Old 21 Feb 2003, 13:29 (Ref:513395)   #9
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wonder how McLaren had hoped to get more out of the technology side - traction control is pretty well perfected I would have thought, and even if it isn't I can't imagine finding whole seconds in a better version of it... Pit to car telemetry has got a lot of unued potential though - in the height of the active ride days the cars would automatically be optimised at every point on the circuit - ie softly sprung at the slower corners, lower ride heght at other sections etc - so maybe they are beginning to optimise the engine and transmission behaviour for each and every corner and straight, and on top of that perhaps this is continuously tweaked throughout the race according to changing conditions...

I agree that Toyota are the team to watch - not for wins or podiums, but for upsetting BAR, Jaguar and Sauber.
Old 21 Feb 2003, 14:42 (Ref:513444)   #10
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
IMO Michelin have a lot of ground to make up, McLaren and William's are very dependent on them delivering the goods.

No point designing a car that should be half a second a lap quicker in theory, if the tyres are half a second slower and blistering after 20 laps.

Last edited by Super Tourer; 21 Feb 2003 at 14:44.
Old 21 Feb 2003, 14:45 (Ref:513447)   #11
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What I am most looking forward? To know who the beeeep broadcasts the races live in Romania...
Old 21 Feb 2003, 18:36 (Ref:513600)   #12
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Michelin will have been working hard over the winter - especially with the old winter tyres - Ralf was fastest in the rain at Barca a few days ago, which would be impressive for Michelin if the FW25 really is crufts material.

I'm hopeful that the excitement will be raging with these new rules - they look pretty promising, I have to say.
Old 21 Feb 2003, 18:52 (Ref:513610)   #13
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm looking forward to a few inspired drives by Frentzen.

I'm looking forward to more great battles between Kimi and JPM.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Quadriga Pit Girl at Monza.

I'm looking forward to some progress up the grid by Minardi-best driving team and engine in years.
Old 21 Feb 2003, 19:29 (Ref:513618)   #14
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am looking forward to the battle between the "best of the rest" teams. I do not feel that Reanult will have an easy time with teams behind them.

Also, will the Honda motor be up for the challenge in Melbourne? If it does well with only a week of incar tests imagine how good it should be by midseason. I am looking forward to BAR clinching 4th!
Old 21 Feb 2003, 19:53 (Ref:513639)   #15
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I am looking forward to the season opener in Australia because:

1) Jos The Boss is back.
2) The new qualifying format.
Old 21 Feb 2003, 20:38 (Ref:513653)   #16
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
I wanted the change in qualfying about 3 years ago at least, and had a letter published in F1Racing to that effect.
Will it be more exciting to those at the track? Possibly not, less cars driving past for your money.
Will it change to grid order? Not in any form of extreme except when the weather or other conditions affect the race. From time to time we'll see a top name nearer the back as the muck up their lap, or a few inspired performances from midfield or lower teams, but most'll look pretty much the same
Will it be more exciting for TV fans? Yes. Guaranteed action throughout the session (no more 20 minute looking at the flowers in Austria, nice as they are). There will be the same amount of tension as we all try and guess/work out if that run was any faster than the preceeding one - don't believe me, It's effectivley the same as the bobsleigh at the minute [4 man world Champs, Lake Placid, this weekend , and that is incredibly exciting.
Wrex, for 2 and 3 can I get back to you in about 2 weeks?
Old 21 Feb 2003, 20:57 (Ref:513666)   #17
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Can't wait for the new season to start.......shame i'm in Gran Caneria at the time
Old 21 Feb 2003, 21:42 (Ref:513689)   #18
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
EERO, you forgot to mention DC
Old 22 Feb 2003, 16:59 (Ref:514205)   #19
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
EERO, you forgot to mention DC
You noticed!
Old 22 Feb 2003, 17:04 (Ref:514206)   #20
Speeddemon555
Veteran

Speeddemon555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, lets not repeat the first turn crash like last year when Ralf went heads over heels on Barrichello.
Old 22 Feb 2003, 19:44 (Ref:514279)   #21
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't wait. March is a long time coming and if SPEEDWEEK wasn't on, by this time of the year I'd be climbing up the wall.hehehehe

March is great! F1, GP Bikes, Cart,V8's etc etc. The new season starts and the only thing to worry about is finding enough time to watch all the motrsport I have taped before the next round.
Old 23 Feb 2003, 03:21 (Ref:514545)   #22
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
im sooooooooo excited

13 days
20 hours
47 minutes to the oz gp

i am looking foward to...

1. Seeying kimi rakkinen challenge or even win the championships
2. Seeying the new qualifying system
3. Seeying how much better Channel 10's broadcast's is compared to nine's & most inportantly..
4. Seeying how Mark Webber and Jaguar will go

Last edited by ozrevhead; 23 Feb 2003 at 03:25.
Old 23 Feb 2003, 07:56 (Ref:514589)   #23
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Wrex - the title, you have to change the title of this thread to give us a countdown.
Old 23 Feb 2003, 12:05 (Ref:514696)   #24
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
1. To see Jos back again.
2. To see Jacques kick Jenson's ass
3. Maybe the new qualifying format too, if it's even shown here in Belgium...
Old 23 Feb 2003, 13:30 (Ref:514756)   #25
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1. I'm looking forward to some good KIMI and JPM battles, and hope their cars are quick enough to bring it to Michael.

2. I'm really looking forward to Silverstone and to see the drivers
light up the tires at the start. Traction control was bad enough but that launch control just made me ill.

3. Looking forward to seeing Jaguar run without Lauda and Irvine at the helm. I'm not expecting great things but I am expecting some professionalism.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"