Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 24 May 2002, 08:49 (Ref:294487)   #1
David McManus
Racer

David McManus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Final Fantasy X - UK Release TODAY!!!

I'll be grabbing my copy after the impressive playable demo impressed me! Anyone else getting it today, or already got it. What do you think ofit?

I heard that the UK version will have a bonus DVD a la MGS2. Anyone know if this is true or not?
Old 24 May 2002, 11:57 (Ref:294752)   #2
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I saw some tv commercials about it, and I was blown away.
Old 26 May 2002, 13:52 (Ref:296566)   #3
Troy Revill
Rookie

Troy Revill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wow I am not a FF fan but FFX is totaly mad the gfx are so awsome!
and the game play is so good ^_^
Old 26 May 2002, 21:33 (Ref:296949)   #4
andrew_marsden
Rookie

andrew_marsden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I should be getting it soon - gettin me PS2 2moro (27th May) - FFX to follow shortly and in response to your query David, yes it does come with a bonus DVD like the Jap version though the FFXI trailer is missing apparently...
Old 26 May 2002, 22:28 (Ref:296990)   #5
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's because FFXI is looking pretty unlikely for a UK release at all at the moment.

Right a little help. I've never played a Final Fantasy game in my life, the controls and the whole charcter development thing look really complicated to me and I reckon those random battles would irritate the hell out of me. Should I get it?
Old 27 May 2002, 12:28 (Ref:297455)   #6
David McManus
Racer

David McManus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The game is definitely worth getting. There are LESS random battles than previous versions IMO. The controls are simple and the character development, whilst looking complicated soon becomes second nature.

If you're still unsure, try getting a game + strategy guide bundle, as the guide has a comprehensive How To Play section at the start which goes into greater depth than the manual.

I'm looking forward to playing the Blitzball subgame, that looks so cool.
Old 27 May 2002, 17:24 (Ref:297725)   #7
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
I might just give it a go. That 10 day return's policy gives me a get out if I don't like it.
Old 30 May 2002, 07:15 (Ref:300080)   #8
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very impressed with FFX so far - better than 8 and possibly 9. Damon - get FFX, then prepare yourself to be blown away and buy 7 for the PSOne - the greatest game ever made.
Old 30 May 2002, 21:54 (Ref:300850)   #9
andrew_marsden
Rookie

andrew_marsden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
posted by Minardi fan
and buy 7 for the PSOne - the greatest game ever made.
Nah, thats Grand Theft Auto 3 - period!!!
Old 30 May 2002, 23:07 (Ref:300910)   #10
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ffx better than 8 and 9? LMAO.

ffx is boring and uninteresting, just like the charactors. with all the others ffs, even the charactors i didnt like, i had a better reaction to what they did. with x, i just dont care about them.

then theres the lake scene where yuna and tidus are making out, yet, nowhere in the storyline up to that point shows a real romance/realship. it was more like "the make out/skin scene" needed in most movies.

the sphere grid is very unmotivating and a turn off to be able to teach everyone everyone elses moves. no exp is another big turn-off

btw - why is it that half the city people are in thongs? *rolleyes*
Old 31 May 2002, 19:20 (Ref:301807)   #11
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
I get the feeling your not impressed Es Nes . I haven't got it and I don't think I will now. I've never liked RPG's.
Old 1 Jun 2002, 12:37 (Ref:302268)   #12
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Ignore him...

The Sphere Grid is excellent - FF7 was so great because you could customise your characters to whatever you wanted, you weren't limited in what they could do as in 9.

FF8 is boredom personified and a big black mark on the crop of recent FF games.

Damon, in that case get your hands on 7 for a tenner second-hand and see what you think. You'll be blown away.

Old 1 Jun 2002, 17:18 (Ref:302389)   #13
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Your doing it again MF!! Well I listened to you about MGS1 so I guess I'd best trust your judgement again .

Last edited by Damon; 1 Jun 2002 at 17:22.
Old 1 Jun 2002, 17:26 (Ref:302395)   #14
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no, dont ingore me because he has a different opinion.

the sphere grid was a bad idea because, in a rpg, each person has their own role. some magically strong, but weak physcialy. physcailly strong people arent supposed to get the strongst magic. ff7 was really bad at that and to some extint, so is x.

a least in 8 you've more freedom over what you do instead of being lead down a straight and narrow path in X. 8 is also less predictable than X. i will give you this, the drawing of spells was boring ... unless you were drawing from an iron giant or ruby dragon

x has also removed the world view thus part of the fun of all rpgs that came before. there were times when i LIKED getting lost. more often than not, thats when i would find a new area and get a stronger weapon/spell/etc.

i dont see why they put voice actors in x. im guessing square was tired of people iturpting somethings said on screen the wrong way i could have gone without the victory comments as they made the last attack on an enemy too.

i do like the battle mode. that way your not stuck with magic users again a monster strong against magic. but, why is it game over when the 3 standing there are killed? to the others all kill themselves?

x also has some interesting bosses, the lady who should give you the final summon and the shpere grid boss ...

x has some rediculus ways of giving you things. dodging 200 lighitng strikes to get ONE part of lulus best weapon.

the only thing x really has over any previous ffs is the summons. you summon, they arivie and fight instead of your team mates. but, you dont fight alongside it. it appears and everyone runs.

then learning the al bhed language was interesting. i didnt have all the books, but could understand about half of what they would say.

oops, i forgot about blitz ball. better off forgoten id say. its impossible to win until to get rid of your orginal players and higher new players. at least in the card games youd have a chance to better some of the lower class with some of your beginner cards. cards are easier and cheaper to get too.

if you can find ff7 cheap though, grab it. despite losing roles, its still is one of the best rpgs out. id rate the newst ffs in this order
best to worst
7,9,8,x
Old 2 Jun 2002, 12:38 (Ref:302751)   #15
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
It does seem to me its a matter of taste and these qutesy japanese rpg's don't really suit my taste.
Old 3 Jun 2002, 22:47 (Ref:303892)   #16
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Woah woah woah Es! SPOILERS!!! Stop!!!

Damon, I'm just trying open up these fantastic games to new audiences, that's all...

Es, I agree about your point that in RPG's characters generally have a defined role. But so what if X and VII changed this? That's why they work so new and feel a bit... different. Besides, in X you can't learn the other abilities until much later in the game.

One bit of X I am disappointed about though is not exploring the world map (apparently you can right at the end). You're right - getting lost is traditional, wouldn't be an RPG without it!!!