Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 18 Feb 2003, 03:01 (Ref:510141)   #1
FPRXR-6
Racer

FPRXR-6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Max Wilson confirmed at DJR

from Segal Media Services

MEDIA RELEASE

‘MIGHTY’ MAX WILSON SIGNS WITH SHELL HELIX RACING
Shell Helix Racing today ended months of speculation by announcing the appointment of Brazilian international Max Wilson to its 2003 driver line-up.

Wilson, 30, will join second-generation racer Steve Johnson, 29, in a pair of all-new BA-model Ford Falcon XR8s for the 2003 V8 Supercar season, which begins with the Australian Grand Prix (Albert Park, Melbourne) on 7-9 March.

From Sao Paulo, Brazil, Wilson is a true ‘international’ with an extensive career that began in karts at age 11.

Since then, Max has successfully raced Formula Ford and Formula 3000 in Europe, then spent two years as the Williams Formula 1 team test driver, a further year with Michelin testing for Formula 1, before a move to America to contest the CART series.

In 2001 Wilson moved into V8 Supercars here in Australia, impressing many observers including Shell Helix Racing’s Dick Johnson.

"Max was very, very fast last year but his lack of experience racing locally told … now he’s done a season he understands how it works and we think he’ll be exceptional, we can’t wait to see him in action in one of our cars," Dick Johnson said.

"Together, Max and Steve will make a very complimentary driving combination … Max’s raw speed and technical expertise, and Steve’s physical endurance and experience of local races and conditions."

Delighted to be stepping up into one of V8 Supercar racing’s premier teams, Wilson spoke of his excitement approaching the 2003 season.

"Last year I proved I could get on top of the car to produce a quick lap, this year with the experience and expertise of the Shell Helix team I hope to put many fast laps together and get my first win in the series.

"I am very settled now," Wilson said.

"2002 gave me the chance to get a feel for V8 Supercars and how far I can push. It also gave me a chance to become familiar with the circuits. Now it’s time to get down to business."

A dedicated physical fitness aficionado, Max is considered one of the fittest V8 Supercar drivers on the grid, backing this claim up recently with a successful 157 lap test session at Queensland Raceway in 40 degree plus ambient temperatures.

As team owner Dick Johnson noted, "Max’s times that day would have put the car on pole at last year’s Queensland 500, and he did it all without even wanting a water bottle!

"During the day the boys were able to extract an extra second from the car based on Max’s recommendations, and on top of that, when he did emerge from the car he had hardly raised a sweat," Johnson added.

The 2003 V8 Supercar season kicks off in March with the non-championship Australian Grand Prix, before the V8 Supercar Championship Series begins in Adelaide two weeks later at the Clipsal 500.

Last edited by FPRXR-6; 18 Feb 2003 at 03:01.
Old 18 Feb 2003, 03:13 (Ref:510146)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hmmm... Wonder if the car is quicker over one lap or consistently fast??

I suspect DJ is hardly likely to say the guy was a dud if he, along with the BA Falcon, are panaceas...

Does it suggest that Jr & Rat were not quite there in terms of a development direction????
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 19 Feb 2003, 06:52 (Ref:511326)   #3
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jr, has a gaping whole in CV:

insert open wheeler experience (chassis set-up minutiae) here.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 19 Feb 2003, 09:24 (Ref:511403)   #4
The Tool Man
Veteran

The Tool Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really Wilson Signed with DJR- Geez Id never of guessed that about six weeks ago.

Slowly removing toungue from cheek - now.
Old 25 Feb 2003, 12:47 (Ref:517114)   #5
moffman
Veteran

moffman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will they use a seat insert at Bathurst like Tander & Bargs did?
Old 26 Feb 2003, 00:30 (Ref:517811)   #6
Blu_butterfly17
Racer

Blu_butterfly17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what only one? have you scene these guys up close? Max is very very small. I am taller than him! i thought it was going to be interesting with the rat and SJ but mighty max? maybe they will pair up max & tony?
Old 26 Feb 2003, 06:12 (Ref:517940)   #7
The Tool Man
Veteran

The Tool Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Short isnt the word for it MAX is Minute. He needs to change his name from MAX (As in Maximum) to Minny or soemthing more appropriate.
Old 26 Feb 2003, 06:38 (Ref:517958)   #8
05forever
Racer

05forever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tell him to lose the tan, bleach the hair and bloat a bit and Steven would have his own "Mini Me"
Old 26 Feb 2003, 09:32 (Ref:518090)   #9
Bomn
Veteran

Australia
Bomn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steven will stay in the car Max will drive sitting on his lap.
Old 26 Feb 2003, 09:42 (Ref:518100)   #10
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steve's roll in the team this year is as Max's booster seat you say ?
Old 26 Feb 2003, 09:46 (Ref:518105)   #11
AussieV8
Veteran

Australia
Orange, NSW Australia
AussieV8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Max in the Falcon looks like a 4yr old in a pedal car. A few Yellow Pages might help.
Old 26 Feb 2003, 12:51 (Ref:518250)   #12
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Go on, count the phone books
Attached Thumbnails
dsc01850.jpg  
Old 26 Feb 2003, 22:21 (Ref:518744)   #13
Blu_butterfly17
Racer

I lost count!! []
Old 26 Feb 2003, 23:04 (Ref:518759)   #14
FalconEL
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland
FalconEL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mattracer

What a load of horses#$t!!

One of Jr's main problems was the extra 30-40kgs he was dragging around compared to the other jockeys in the category.

I believe Radisich has considerable open wheeler experience, but what good did it do him in 2002 in a vehicle that was fundamentally flawed by lack of aerodynamic and mechanical grip? Stone Brothers struggled for two-three years getting the same mediocre results with the AU as other Ford teams before finally hitting on a base setup that only got them slightly closer to the Red Barons.

Some people have short memories, wasn't it only a year ago that Jr. was fighting it out for the championship?

The notion that you must drive open wheelers to gain effective setup knowledge is the greatest misconception about motor sport IMHO.

CD.
"I still can't spin the wheels all the way down the straight in high gear", Mark Donohue (The Unfair Advantage) commenting to the Porsche engineers on the 1100hp 1973 Can-Am Porsche 917-30 when asked whether the car has enough horsepower yet!!
Old 27 Feb 2003, 04:15 (Ref:518906)   #15
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Conrod Kieron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mattracer

So does Peter Brock, Alan Moffat, Dick Johnson, Jimmie Richards just off the top of my head.
Old 27 Feb 2003, 04:23 (Ref:518910)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jr did in fact run a FH at one point didnt he, and had to stop running it because he didnt fit under the rollhoop?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 27 Feb 2003, 05:37 (Ref:518929)   #17
williamsf1
Veteran

williamsf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jnr was quick in that 1600 he had! and I have seen Brock in a F5000 I believe....

BTW anyone know what has happend to CONROD??? I cant seem to get it loading????
Old 27 Feb 2003, 05:48 (Ref:518933)   #18
Mattracer
Veteran

Actually peter Brock drove a F5000 in the past. Now to "Junior".

In the current AA, he states: "When I got down, I didn't do anything. I didn't exercise."

Pretty slack effort for a full time racing driver I'd say.

Other top drivers don't "get down" and if they are behind the 8 ball they DO something about it. Yeah 14th place was way better than 26th for the Rat.

Open wheeler expewrience is very important. Almost all the absolute front runners have it and have finsied well in FF and/or FH: S Richards, Ingall, Bright, Skaife, Lowndes, Bargs, Tander, Radisich, Larko, Morris the list goes on.

The legends of the past didn't necessarilly have open wheel experience but then Touring Car racing wasn't as close, parity didn't exist and the whole basis of success in the category wasn't as biased towards chassis tuning. Heck, most of the GrC cars didn't handle no matter what adjustments were made.

If DJR are so hopeless, why did they hire (after the Rat bailed early) an ex-F1 tester, Champ Car driver to try and get things happening with the new BA?

Old 27 Feb 2003, 06:01 (Ref:518938)   #19
Mattracer
Veteran

Add to that not one National Championship in any category in actual car racing. And Wilson took the AU and made 25 chassis changes (if that's what it takes!!???!) and blew away the lap record at QR without any "chemistry/gelling/time to get to know ya" excuses BS with the team.

Even he himself admitted "If I don't perform I'm out."

Over to you Steve- i hope you do go well, there is talent there. Steve Richards is a good example- famous father, heaps of talent AND a good work ethic, team player. If he drops the ball, Larry would fire him in five minutes.

Old 27 Feb 2003, 06:10 (Ref:518940)   #20
williamsf1
Veteran

williamsf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is Jnr's last year in V8s..... DJ will use the year to make Max the number 1, and spend the rest of the year talent spotting....

That is, unless Jnr really flys this year! He is fast, maybe just not as commited as some others, and that will tell at the end of the day....

GTR, your PM box is full.... do you know why CONROD is dead right now??
Old 27 Feb 2003, 06:10 (Ref:518941)   #21
Pure GT
Racer

Pure GT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know this isn't the best example, but look at Jnr's performance in the VB challenge using equal equipment. He has got the talent, know he has the vehicle. No excuses for Jnr this year. If he cannot perform this year, he will not have a drive at DJR next year. I have this on good authority.
Old 27 Feb 2003, 06:17 (Ref:518947)   #22
Mattracer
Veteran

Yes, the VB challenge is a good opportunity to let the shackles off. He is very, very good at that and has some car control. That is the puzzling thing, he CAN do it but if the car is a bit or a lot off the mark, he just drops it. It seems to me to be a lack of direction or maybe just what to do and when to get things going.

Old 27 Feb 2003, 06:27 (Ref:518948)   #23
Blu_butterfly17
Racer

I Agree he should not "be down" i mean take a look at what he's doing for a living. how many people would do bad stuff for a job like that? As for personal stuff - leave it at home and learn to deal with it..
Old 27 Feb 2003, 08:24 (Ref:519009)   #24
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't remember Brock driving a F5000, in an actual race anyway but he did drive a couple of F2 Birranas in 72 and 73 i think it was. Went quiet well too.
As for Junior i think he subconciencly thinks his job is safe and perhaps doesn't try hard enough. Maybe he has now had a word in his ear.
Max Wilson is no fool and will go alright this year.
Old 27 Feb 2003, 08:36 (Ref:519017)   #25
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Conrod Kieron
So does Peter Brock, Alan Moffat, Dick Johnson, Jimmie Richards just off the top of my head.
Peter Brock raced a Birrana (F3 I think) in the early 70's

Allan Moffat rolled the Bob Jane Brabham at Sandown that had earlier been rolled by John Harvey at Bathurst and had done other open wheel races

Dick Johnson ....

Jim Richards raced F5000 in the early 70's

Just off the top of my head