Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Jan 2013, 21:25 (Ref:3184342)   #1
hannabyjj
Rookie

hannabyjj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best on track battles

I want to know your view on the best on track battles you have seen, not ones that last one corner but ones that last a whole lap or even a whole race, I'm sorry if they are quite recent, I'm sure Senna,Prost and co had many more than I'm awarer of..... my own personal favourites in no particular order are :

Hamilton vs Webber Korea 2011
Villeneuve vs Arnoux
Hamilton vs Raikonnen Spa 2008
Senna vs Mansell Monaco
Hamilton vs Button Hungary 2011
Schumacher vs Hakkinnen Suzuka
Old 4 Jan 2013, 16:36 (Ref:3184652)   #2
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Nice list, (although we may have been here before quite recently?)arguably one or two weren't battles but spanners in the works!

I think that any lsit like this would almost certainly need to include many of Monster Montoya's scraps.

2 of the best scraps overall we've seen in recent times would be the one at Hockenheim - JPM verus Kimi in 2002 (nearly a whole lap!) and the two of them again at Interlagos in 2004 which was probably held over at least 2/3 of the race but crystallised in the out lap after a pit stop which highlighted Kimi's racers instinct in nipping ahead but more significantly Montoya's innate opportunistic skills at immedaitely seeing and delivering a killer pass as one M Schumacher quite often fell foul of!

Then you would have to say:
Schu v Mika, Spa 2000,
Mansell v Berger, Mexico 1990
Mansell v Senna, Catalunya 1991
Mansell v Berger, Imola 1990
Herbert v Schumacher, Interlagos 1993
Schu v Hill Silverstone and Monza 1995 (chuckle..)
Stewart v Perterson, Silverstone 1973?
Stewart v Rindt, Silverstone 1970
Old 5 Jan 2013, 01:55 (Ref:3184933)   #3
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
While I wasn't enamored with the results, I have to add:

Fernando Alonso vs Michael Schumacher - 2006 Turkish Grand Prix
Old 5 Jan 2013, 03:04 (Ref:3184941)   #4
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Scumacher jumping Alonso when the FIA turned the green lights on at the end of Monaco 2010. Classic!
Old 6 Jan 2013, 10:16 (Ref:3185429)   #5
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This bloke starts more threads than writes posts. Anyway, in all the time I've followed F1, I've always thought the battle between Villeneuve and Schumacher, in 97 title decider at Jerez, was the best scrap on the race track I'd seen in F1 so far. There may not have been the passing of the lead like in a fvee race, but it was a very intense battle. A title settled with a very bold move by Villeneuve. He only had one, faint, opportunity to pass Schumacher, and he took it.

Special mention to the 2000 French gp. When you consider the weaknesses of the Magny Cours circuit, a french catalunya, it was one of the few races that were not decided by fuel strategy, but by clean, on track action. Coulthard's best win, I thought.
Old 6 Jan 2013, 13:56 (Ref:3185502)   #6
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Villenuve v's Arnoux French GP 1979

Vilenuve v's half the field Spanish GP 1981
Old 11 Jan 2013, 04:39 (Ref:3187549)   #7
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Only one for me that was 'great' although Villeneuve / Arnoux was somthing special.

1957 German GP @ Nürburgring - Fangio vs Collins & Hawthorn
Old 11 Jan 2013, 07:44 (Ref:3187580)   #8
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
How long was that Villeneuve/Arnoux one? It looked like something that developed over the last few laps.
Old 13 Jan 2013, 23:35 (Ref:3188722)   #9
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Yes it did.

I think Stewart vs. Rindt in 1970 takes some beating. JYS (there I go again!) reckons they swapped the lead over 30 times during the race.

Schumacher and Mika at Suzuka in 2000 was a classic in modern terms, even though the wrong man won IMO.
Old 17 Jan 2013, 20:20 (Ref:3190708)   #10
jj2448jg
Rookie

United Kingdom
Nuneaton
jj2448jg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My favourite battles in no particular order would be:

> Hakkinen vs Schumacher (Spa 2000)
> Raikkonen Vs Hamilton (Spa 2008)
> Hamilton Vs Button (Turkey 2010)
> Button Vs Vettel (Canada 2011)
> Villeneuve vs Schumacher (Jerez 1997)
> Mansell Vs Senna (Monaco 1992)
> Schumacher Vs Alonso (Imola 2005)
> Trulli Vs Button (Monaco 2004)
> Villeneuve Vs Arnoux (France 1979)
> Button Vs The Rest of the Field (Brazil 2009)
Old 20 Jan 2013, 10:25 (Ref:3191689)   #11
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Anybody remember Hunt V's Lauda Holland 1975 and a year later Hunt V's Watson the first was a mighty race with Hesketh's only win.
Old 20 Jan 2013, 10:44 (Ref:3191697)   #12
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I enjoyed MAssa and Hamilton in 2011, coz you always knew someone was going to end up getting hit!!
Old 20 Jan 2013, 11:58 (Ref:3191722)   #13
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Obviously Villeneuve and Arnoux is the first one that springs to mind so how about Massa and Kubica in the rain, Japan 2007?
Old 20 Jan 2013, 22:47 (Ref:3191904)   #14
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cds_uk View Post
Obviously Villeneuve and Arnoux is the first one that springs to mind so how about Massa and Kubica in the rain, Japan 2007?
Yes, that's a good one!

Kimi and Kovy had a good one at the same race?
Old 26 Jan 2013, 15:25 (Ref:3194505)   #15
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Too much off-track racing in that one for my liking, but each move and counter-move seemed to push the boundaries of what constituted the track, so I guess that was the battle that highlighted this problem, each driver understandably pushing it a bit more.

I'm referring to the Kubica/ Massa battle. The other one happened too I think, Mr V.
Old 27 Jan 2013, 07:37 (Ref:3194787)   #16
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Prost v Senna, Suzuka, 1989

Edge of the seat stuff.
Old 28 Jan 2013, 12:54 (Ref:3195279)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
One that people always forget, quite understandably, is Monza 2003; Montoya versus M. Schumacher.

Started on the front row together, had a great battle for the first lap and then proceeded to have a high speed chase all race, the race producing the fastest average race speed of the time at around 250kmh. They didn't get side by side again all day, but the pace was absolutely frantic. Schumacher had the straightline speed in his Ferrari, Montoya had a fraction more wing on his Williams and a small corner advantage. Each driver eked out a tenth here and there against the other all day long.

One of the most tense races I have ever watched, just brilliant. Even if Sauber did intervene and spoil things slightly and Michelin were forced to run on different tyres to what they had all season.

It was slightly similar to Button versus Alonso at the same track in 2010, but this meant so much more and was a lot more intense and frenetic. And proof positive that overtaking isn't the be all and end all of motorsport entertainment. You just need two fantastic drivers in two fantastic cars.
Old 28 Jan 2013, 23:51 (Ref:3195492)   #18
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Possibly the best on track battle was between Nelson Piquet and Eliseo Salazar.

Salazar pulled off a truly stupendous move, but it was Piquet who would ultimately gain the upper hand.
Old 28 Jan 2013, 23:54 (Ref:3195495)   #19
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Possibly the best on track battle was between Nelson Piquet and Eliseo Salazar.

Salazar pulled off a truly stupendous move, but it was Piquet who would ultimately gain the upper hand.
Was that a jab followed by a right hook?
Old 28 Jan 2013, 23:59 (Ref:3195499)   #20
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Was that a jab followed by a right hook?
I think that Piquet may have finally finished him off with a 'roundhouse' kick. I will have to look up that seasons stats.
Old 29 Jan 2013, 00:21 (Ref:3195504)   #21
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Webber V Vettel V Hamilton V Button at the 2010 Turkish Grand Prix. It was basically a nailbiter right from the get go, and the fact it finished in controversey made it even more memorable
Old 29 Jan 2013, 04:23 (Ref:3195556)   #22
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think that Alan Jones versus Gilles Villeneuve in Canada 1979 was a good on track battle, it lasted for pretty much the whole of the race.

Special mention to the 1986 Spanish Grand Prix as well. Mansell, Senna and Prost all battle for the lead in that one.
Old 29 Jan 2013, 11:40 (Ref:3195682)   #23
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
I would just like to say, in the appropriate thread, that while it may've been considered a great on track battle, I don't rate the Senna/Mansell Monaco one. Nor should it be considered a good one, let alone great. Very few laps to develop a battle, an already narrow track that is lined with walls, all the way round. There's just no way that Mansell was ever going to get him. The only way, having had a look at it again on YT, would be if Senna overdid it into the chicane. That may've happenend had the "battle" been MORE than 3 laps. I actually now remember watching it for the first time, hoping Mansell would get past, but knowing he wouldn't. I also remember not thinking anything of it as a scrap. Senna did what he had to do, in the fortunate position, and he did it. Years later, to read in magazines and forums, how highly people rated it, was a surprise. Seen more difficult defensive efforts watching motorbike/fvee/fford races at Phillip Island.

Speaking of YT, I have seen video of the 1981 German GP. Alain Prost trying to hold off Alan Jones. Prost was...un-Prost like.
Old 29 Jan 2013, 17:38 (Ref:3195852)   #24
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
. Senna did what he had to do, in the fortunate position, and he did it. Years later, to read in magazines and forums, how highly people rated it, was a surprise. Seen more difficult defensive efforts watching motorbike/fvee/fford races at Phillip Island.
I know what you mean, but it's Senna, so he will get deified for such things even if it's not the best example of his skills. That battle was the first single memory I have of F1 from when I was younger and I enjoyed it. Prepared me for many years of frustrated battles.
Old 29 Jan 2013, 22:23 (Ref:3195960)   #25
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 1981 Spanish Grand Prix worth a mentioning, I think.