Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Jan 2013, 10:00 (Ref:3188892)   #1
Zen
Rookie

Australia
Bicester
Zen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gascoyne who showed lack of respect

Its Gascoyne who has showed lack of respect he needs to be told some things should not be said in public.

Why would Heikki Kovalainen want to pay to drive Gascoynes car, its never shown promiss in 3 years. In my opinion its Gascoyne who is showing disrespect by publicly rounding on Kovalainen. Heikki has singlehandedly given the team what little credibility it has. Gascoyne is the one who should be leaving this team he has failed miserably in all his forcasts and predictions for the team. Fernandes should wake up here and realise Gascoyne can't build a competitive racing car suited to the modern era. Gascoyne's approach is if you throw enough money (someone else) at a problem it will work...

Whats needed: Brains as well as money
Old 14 Jan 2013, 11:15 (Ref:3188911)   #2
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why don't you ask Joe Saward? He's the expert on all things Caterham.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 12:53 (Ref:3188938)   #3
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hang on; what's the context here? Do you have a link?
Old 14 Jan 2013, 12:56 (Ref:3188941)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I think's talking about this story
Old 14 Jan 2013, 13:00 (Ref:3188944)   #5
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's awfully arrogant of Kovy to say that he doesn't want to bring money even if he could. Reminds me of someof the things Hulkenberg was coming out with just before Williams dropped him.

It's a simple fact that in this current economic climate drivers in the midfield and the back need to have a financial package to race. It's a shame that Heikki and Kamui were to victims this time. But life moves on. I don't think we've lost anyone that could win a championship.

If talks with Petrov have stalled however, it's quite painful to think that Bruno Senna is the next best option. I don't rate van der Garde or Razia at all.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 13:07 (Ref:3188946)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A lack of respect and lots of arrogance here I can see that. Terrible terrible
* shakes head slowly*

And too many people in F1 who are just robots and don't say anything interesting.
*weeps a single tear at the current state of F1*
Old 14 Jan 2013, 13:10 (Ref:3188948)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I can see Kovi not wanting to be a pay driver. Sometimes that brands you useless by observers whether you are or not.
Still Caterham need the cash so they have no option.

I do hope this doesn't mean the real situationis somewhere between two extremes. How dull.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 13:12 (Ref:3188951)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I respect and applaud Heikki's decision to not go out and actively seek sponsership, even though it was to the detriment of his career.

He doesn't want to be remembered as being effectively a "pay driver" and thats fair enough.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 13:25 (Ref:3188955)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
This really does sound like two parties that had different priorities and so couldn't make it work. Oh and a crash.net article explaining this.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 14:03 (Ref:3188980)   #10
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Both could be a bit more statesman-like about these things but it's a trivial controversy really.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 15:06 (Ref:3188999)   #11
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think MG is referring to comments from Heikki re his management actively looking for a role high up the grid, as if Caterham was v.much a back-up plan. That's v.much how i read it at the time those comments came out in the Summer.

I don't think he's referring to Heikki's refusal to raise funds. Though Mike clearly isn't stepping up in his interviews and admitting he was moved upstairs for underachieving, which definitely looks the case from the outside looking-in...
Old 14 Jan 2013, 15:42 (Ref:3189013)   #12
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
I think it's awfully arrogant of Kovy to say that he doesn't want to bring money even if he could. Reminds me of someof the things Hulkenberg was coming out with just before Williams dropped him.
agreed although i dont know if i would go so far as to call it arrogant.

its all well and good to say you respect so and so because they seem to be above raising money but it not like any of the drivers are against finding personal sponsorship deals for themselves. it is just a choice.

HK for example does raise money through personal endorsements and if those endorsements are of a respectable nature (Angry Birds is a very fun game btw) then whats wrong with raising money. i guess it sucks that you have to use that money to fund a ride but you probably wouldnt have the endorsement in the first place if you didnt have a ride.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 16:17 (Ref:3189032)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Kobayashi raised £6 million, but it still didn't get him a drive in a team that needs the money and you would think ought to have some sort of stability with regard to this seasons drivers. So, in a way, I can see where Kovy is coming from.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 20:18 (Ref:3189108)   #14
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
in hulkenberg's defence, that was when he was managed by willi weber. iirc they parted company at the end of that year?

all things aside, i agree. but they're kind of right... teams should be the ones getting their own sponsors. relying on some extraordinarily wealthy son-of turning up with a bag of cash is just short sighted, particularly now the corporate side of f1 is so developed.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 20:19 (Ref:3189109)   #15
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I read that Koba raised £8mill (but either way it wasn't enough), and Valsecchi has a 'warchest' with around £9mill in it and has been turned away by everyone.
Kind of makes you wonder how Narain got the HRT drive for only £5mill.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 22:39 (Ref:3189185)   #16
Supertec
Rookie

United Kingdom
Norwich
Supertec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I cant see Caterham progressing much next season without an experienced driver, Charles Pic and whoever, will not be able to lead the team. The engineers and designers must be dreading 2013..........and Marussia will have Kers

I agree with others before me its Gascoyne who is disrespectful to Kovalainen given the hard work he has put in with this team.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 23:53 (Ref:3189216)   #17
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He's not a pay driver, he showed no respect, he has no mey to throw at the team and so on...

What else can happen now ?
Old 15 Jan 2013, 01:30 (Ref:3189251)   #18
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertec View Post
I cant see Caterham progressing much next season without an experienced driver, Charles Pic and whoever, will not be able to lead the team. The engineers and designers must be dreading 2013..........and Marussia will have Kers
For some, it may turn out to be the most interesting battle of the season.
Old 15 Jan 2013, 10:09 (Ref:3189336)   #19
F3 Rocks
Racer

Wales
F3 Rocks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What if...

Kovalainen turned out to be the 2nd driver at Force India....that would stoke the fire again
Old 15 Jan 2013, 11:09 (Ref:3189363)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
For some, it may turn out to be the most interesting battle of the season.
That would be great ! Battle for what positions ?
Old 15 Jan 2013, 12:15 (Ref:3189387)   #21
Flat Out Farr
Racer

United Kingdom
Great Denham, Bedfordshire
Flat Out Farr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3 Rocks View Post
What if...

Kovalainen turned out to be the 2nd driver at Force India....that would stoke the fire again
That would be a great scenario as Heikki is no slouch. He did OK for McLaren. He is the sort of experienced driver Vijay could go for, and he has current experience compared to Sutil etc.
Old 15 Jan 2013, 12:25 (Ref:3189392)   #22
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3 Rocks View Post
What if...

Would probably be the best choice available to Vijay. If he drives like he did in 2010-11, he'd have the measure of di Resta. But I don't see it happening.
Old 15 Jan 2013, 12:44 (Ref:3189396)   #23
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrogothicus View Post
I read that Koba raised £8mill (but either way it wasn't enough), and Valsecchi has a 'warchest' with around £9mill in it and has been turned away by everyone.
Kind of makes you wonder how Narain got the HRT drive for only £5mill.
Ironically given the pay driver scenario, the best way into F1 right now appears to be to be a real superstar driver; the only sure-fire way to ensure money might not be an issue.
Old 15 Jan 2013, 14:04 (Ref:3189424)   #24
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
. Oh and a crash.net article explaining this.
Iirc, it was also on Autosport but didn't want to use up 1 of my 50 views just to post a link
Old 15 Jan 2013, 21:53 (Ref:3189601)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Iirc, it was also on Autosport but didn't want to use up 1 of my 50 views just to post a link
I can see the headline now, Gascogne SLAMS Kovalainen.