Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 29 Sep 2006, 17:03 (Ref:1723207)   #1
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What should a newbie do at a campsite?

Strange post this, but it may help others as well as me who are in the same boat.

I've never yet camped out with fellow marshals before a race weekend. Nothing personal, it's just that with various commitments I've always gone to/from a meeting the same day, year in, year out.

This year we got a little caravan and things have loosed up a bit at work, and I've got a mate who's just starting marshalling as a novice, so next year it looks like more events further afield and I'm looking forward to gate-crashing some marshals' camping, consuming vast amounts of alcholic beverage, and partaking of this cameraderie of which I've heard many times but which for many years I have only experienced on post.

Now then, here's the question, which I know sounds daft. How should I introduce myself to other groups, as a stranger, and not 'make strange' as they say in Ireland by hiding in the 'van.

How about walking in with a crate of Stella and just saying 'Hi folks'.
Waddya think?
Old 29 Sep 2006, 17:34 (Ref:1723229)   #2
shjo558
Racer

Scotland
Scottish Borders
shjo558 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersix
Waddya think?
If you come to Knockhill and turn up with a crate of beer and you will be very welcome

I always find that marshals are a friendly bunch and if you just explain you're staying overnight and are after a bit chat you'll be fine.
Old 29 Sep 2006, 17:44 (Ref:1723237)   #3
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Waddya think?
That would work very well, unless you happen to come across the only tee-total marshals in the country!!

What normally happens at most "marshal's" camping areas is that various marshals turn-up at various times and some will know someone already there. Some of us though, turn-up like you, feeling very unsure and wondering just who is around. So.........

just get on with setting your caravan up whilst scanning the area to see if there is anyone you recognise. If there is..... problem solved. if not then..... carry on setting-up until you are done. One of the best opening lines (especially at some so-called Marshal's Areas) is....

"where do I get some water from?" this not only gets you water but also lets the person/marshal you asked know that you are new to staying over at that venue. take it from there.

If all the above doesn't work (I've never found it not to but there's always a first) then just get yourselves sorted, have a beer or two, then head off around the campsite with a couple of beers in your pockets, wearing orange (waterproof coat etc) and just see who you meet. Before you know it you'll be chatting to someone who's been going there for years and will welcome you in.

This has always worked for me but you have missed the major point here.....

You are on ten-tenths and so once you let the rest of us know which meeting will be your first with the 'van, everyone who reads that post will be looking out for you to help. Job Done.

Let us know how you get on and enjoy.
Old 29 Sep 2006, 18:27 (Ref:1723263)   #4
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Hill
You are on ten-tenths and so once you let the rest of us know which meeting will be your first with the 'van, everyone who reads that post will be looking out for you to help. Job Done.
They won't be looking out to help, more likely looking for the beer
Old 29 Sep 2006, 19:34 (Ref:1723307)   #5
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!

Quote:
Waddya think?
Well with a crate of Stella, if no marshals want to talk, you would be more than welcome with the drivers.
Old 29 Sep 2006, 21:12 (Ref:1723349)   #6
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
Well with a crate of Stella, if no marshals want to talk, you would be more than welcome with the drivers.
the problem with that is that the drivers are normally camping well away from us marshals.

but even as the squirrel says, ANYONE talking to you is better than no-one!!
Old 30 Sep 2006, 06:13 (Ref:1723468)   #7
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Hill
but even as the squirrel says, ANYONE talking to you is better than no-one!!
Cheers
Old 30 Sep 2006, 09:37 (Ref:1723539)   #8
Kermit Power
Rookie

England
Epsom
Kermit Power should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think there is a little more to it than this!

I camped over at Brands for the BTCC (first time). By the time I'd had a shower and got changed on the Saturday night, the campsite had emptied.

My mate and I headed off in the direction of the Kentagon, assuming everyone would congregate there. We had a great evening with drivers, support crews, TV people, but absolutely nobody in Orange! The closest we managed was rescue red (hello rescue!).

So... where do all the marshals go at Brands on a Saturday night????
Old 30 Sep 2006, 15:34 (Ref:1723668)   #9
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
we stay on the campsite in caravan and get drunk all are welcome
Old 30 Sep 2006, 18:19 (Ref:1723788)   #10
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
I've found that where there are bods in orange, as long as you have a fold up chair, something to drink and a social disposition, you're more than welcome.

In fact, just about the worst thing you can do is stay in your van - that would be typically seen as rude and stand-offish. In the years I've been doing this, joining in every part of the weekend has been seen as completely de rigeur.
Old 1 Oct 2006, 15:42 (Ref:1724497)   #11
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't know if anyone recalls when Bill & I bought the "awning" for our original transit camper van (early '90's). It was meant for a caravan but we adapted it to go over the rear opening doors and talk about Heath Robinson!!!!!!!

For some reason, wherever we went, we attracted an audience who used to pull up chairs to watch our performance as we sorted this awning out (but they never, ever offered to help).

Might be a bit extreme, though, so maybe just introducing yourself would be easier!
Old 1 Oct 2006, 19:53 (Ref:1724651)   #12
RIXGE
Racer

RIXGE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don`t worry too much about it. You will get to know other marshals as you do on post. And low and behold you bump into them again in a couple of months time. I used to sleep in the back of my blue combo, always consumed far too much beer with my fellow marshals, and got moaned at far too often for playing loud music and dancing incoherently on the back of the van, had a good laugh though. We used to have fry ups at Thruxton on post during the church breaks on Sunday! Marshaling is all about having a good time with like minded friends, ok there is a very serious side to what we do, and we all take that on board with the neccesary where with-all.
So don`t worry about being on your own , tucked up in your van at eight thirty on a Saturday night, make the most of it, when you get in with a bunch of loons who drink for England, and have slighty sore heads in the morning, you may just wish you had fallen asleep early!