Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 15 Oct 2005, 19:56 (Ref:1434567)   #1
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why do you watch this sport?

I ask as I simply cannot believe some of the *****ing, nit picking and sour grapes being spouted about the RS Spyder.

I don't know about you, but I watch this branch of the sport precisely to see the kind of awesome display the RS Spyder, and other LMP1s, put on in qualifying.

I don't want to watch manufactuered mediocrity but the best, and only the best.

The RS is off to a flyer, but Intersport (a good team but not at the level, yet, of Dyson, let alone Penske) were matching them up until their aborted qualifying run.

The same people slating the RS Spyder are those who claimed it was an impossible task to overcome the 911 GT3s and C6.Rs in theiir respective classes.

Good job Panoz and Acemco were not listening, eh!

Thank god the spirit of competition is still alive in the ALMS/LMES, and we still have the Dysons, Creations, Listers, Pescarolos, ACEMCO's, Panoz, Intersports of this world who don't cry off to (less competitive) pastures new, and take the fight to the best of the best.

Rant over.
Old 15 Oct 2005, 21:15 (Ref:1434616)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is wonderful. I am looking forward to seeing the debut race and I hope it is the begining of something big. We'll have been there from the start if it is!
Old 15 Oct 2005, 21:42 (Ref:1434626)   #3
Foster
Racer

Canada
The Maritimes
Foster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Competion makes for things called races.
And I love it when someone wants to win, means we get a competion.

Hats off to those teams that love the competion. These are the true winners.
Old 15 Oct 2005, 21:55 (Ref:1434633)   #4
ScuderiaV8
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
ScuderiaV8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've only really got into sportscar racing over the past few years and one of the aspects I love is the sheer variety of machinery in each class, and how there are so many different designs from a single set of regulations. With the new regs coming into force the next couple of years are going to be very interesting, and I'd love to see some LMP2s spring a surprise on the LMP1s. This is the kind of racing I've been looking for!
Old 16 Oct 2005, 09:41 (Ref:1434900)   #5
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why do you watch this sport? ..

Why not ??

Ciao Marco
Old 16 Oct 2005, 16:37 (Ref:1435234)   #6
Foster
Racer

Canada
The Maritimes
Foster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cause it's better than NASCAR?!?!?!?

JK
Old 16 Oct 2005, 18:46 (Ref:1435348)   #7
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmm, the variety, the sights, the sounds, the speed, the level of committment, intense competition, world class drivers, technology, ingenuity, and, um

THE CARS!
Old 16 Oct 2005, 21:09 (Ref:1435516)   #8
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Racing pure breed? Combination of speed and endurance? True spirit and professionalism? No BS merchandising? Closeness to drivers and teams?
All of the above!!!!
Old 16 Oct 2005, 23:14 (Ref:1435585)   #9
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love sportscars because there isn't one right way to do things.

Sure, I occasionally get frustrated when someone like Audi comes along and whitewashes everybody for a while but it's exactly that kind of hard competition that inspires the glorious machines we have now right across the board and I wouldn't change that for anything... well, except maybe sticking roofs on them.
Old 17 Oct 2005, 04:14 (Ref:1435655)   #10
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watch it for races like yesterday's ALMS race and almost any GA race this year. I dont watch for the political BS that has become SWC GT...that was shameful and not much fun to watch IMO.
Old 20 Oct 2005, 18:33 (Ref:1439058)   #11
MaxGT40
Rookie

United States
Rochester, NY U.S.A.
MaxGT40 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
<<< I don't want to watch manufactuered mediocrity but the best, and only the best. >>>

Throw me in that camp. I do not prefer the tu tu wearing version that some entities try to pass off as genuine.

Old 20 Oct 2005, 21:23 (Ref:1439188)   #12
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of these years will be the year after the transition years. I keep watching because I'd hate to miss that.
Old 21 Oct 2005, 12:31 (Ref:1439717)   #13
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ALMS: The cars.
Grand-Am: The racing.
FIAGT: The cars.
Le Mans: because it's Le Mans and thank God SpeedTV show 15-20 Hours of the race!
VLN: The Alzen Porsche & because anything that happens at the Nordschleife is worth watching!
Old 21 Oct 2005, 14:41 (Ref:1439877)   #14
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just seen race highlights of Laguna Seca. What a fantastic race - that, coupled with my unbridled passion for Le Mans, is why i love watching this sport.
Also need to spot my opportunity to get behind the wheel, and if I don't watch, then I won't spot it!!!
Old 21 Oct 2005, 14:48 (Ref:1439882)   #15
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
To me it is the passion, the intrigue, the tactics, the challenge. Nothing else can make me sit and watch 6 hours of non stop TV and keep me interested for all that time.
Old 21 Oct 2005, 15:16 (Ref:1439905)   #16
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
The cars , the drivers , sounds , smells and the craic that I have when i get the chance to attend a race ..... plus I need the exercise !
Old 21 Oct 2005, 15:42 (Ref:1439929)   #17
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The cars, the sights, the smells, the sound... and to go with the sound there's the "feel" too! I can;t put my finger on exactly why I love this sport, but when a film finishes on TV I'm usually bored by that time, when an F1 race finishes I'm ready to stop watching and do something else, but at that same point in an endurance race (which would be about the 90 min. point) we're all still just getting into the swing of it, and loving every moment!

The diversity is another thing which attracts me to this. There aren't many places where a prototype can whizz by with a screaming Judd in the back, only to be followed by a deep, stunning, throbbing grunt of a Saleen S7... not even F1 when it had it's mix of V8's, V10's and V12's (just after it's turbo era) could ever match that sort of diversity in looks, sound and feel. Nearly every car is really different, which means something different is always coming by within the next few seconds.
Old 21 Oct 2005, 21:16 (Ref:1440150)   #18
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
for me its things like tomas enge going out on a last ditch qualifying stint at 11.45pm on a warm french evening in june.
Old 21 Oct 2005, 21:41 (Ref:1440169)   #19
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
The cars, the sights, the smells, the sound... and to go with the sound there's the "feel" too! I can;t put my finger on exactly why I love this sport, but when a film finishes on TV I'm usually bored by that time, when an F1 race finishes I'm ready to stop watching and do something else, but at that same point in an endurance race (which would be about the 90 min. point) we're all still just getting into the swing of it, and loving every moment!

The diversity is another thing which attracts me to this. There aren't many places where a prototype can whizz by with a screaming Judd in the back, only to be followed by a deep, stunning, throbbing grunt of a Saleen S7... not even F1 when it had it's mix of V8's, V10's and V12's (just after it's turbo era) could ever match that sort of diversity in looks, sound and feel. Nearly every car is really different, which means something different is always coming by within the next few seconds.
Yes, and once you have had the pleasure of going to one, you can then watch and enjoy some of that ambience on TV, but nothing compares to being at the track. A friend who went to Sebring with me last year still talks about the entire experience and he isn't a car person.

I love the diversity of sounds too--just in fact came back from Historics at Sebring last weekend which had Jag straight sixes, Porsches aplenty, a turbo Nissan and a two stroke Saab (ring ding!!!) out at various times. What fun
Old 21 Oct 2005, 21:54 (Ref:1440176)   #20
enduro81
Rookie

enduro81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The fact that the classes are mixed into the one race portrays the speed of the cars and makes for great viewing. It also creates dramatic situations on track where overtaking oportunities are hugely increased and I love it for that! In my opinion the FIA GT has suffered lately for the lack of smaller class entries. Prototypes racing amonst 911s - that's what sports car racing is all about!!
Old 21 Oct 2005, 23:19 (Ref:1440209)   #21
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe
Yes, and once you have had the pleasure of going to one, you can then watch and enjoy some of that ambience on TV, but nothing compares to being at the track. A friend who went to Sebring with me last year still talks about the entire experience and he isn't a car person.

I love the diversity of sounds too--just in fact came back from Historics at Sebring last weekend which had Jag straight sixes, Porsches aplenty, a turbo Nissan and a two stroke Saab (ring ding!!!) out at various times. What fun

Is that the same group that races during the "12 Hours" weekend???

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 21 Oct 2005, 23:29 (Ref:1440213)   #22
HaraldB
Rookie

European Union
Austria
HaraldB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Diversity.

You can or rather could see racecars battling it out races over sprint distances and about a week later these cars and drivers participated in a 1000 km race.

Races on street circuits like Miami, but also racing on rovals, banked curves (pre-war Avus) and on "nature" tracks, which aren't Micky Mouse circuits, mutiliated tracks or tilkodromes.

The variety in machinery.

The history and tradition.

The variety in drivers. There is a place for Mr. Computerbrain and also for Mr. Hotshot, seasoned veterans and young talent (not necessarily veteran is linked with computerbrain, sometimes the vetern are hotshots too).

Prototypes are the pinnacle of car design, the most beautiful cars.
(DP do not exist. DP do not exist. UFOs may exist. DP do not exist. It is a scam.)

You get races where you sit and calculate the intervalls and timetables of different teams for hours, but you also often get action, i.e. overtaking maneuvres, on the track; even battling out for position after hours of racing.

Sportscar racing is like an opera, where you can hear every "style of voice", from tenor to bass, from soprano to alt, performed at the highest level.

The rumour and stuff who is going to be the "director and cast" of the next performance.
Old 22 Oct 2005, 00:03 (Ref:1440222)   #23
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can appreciate the opera reference...I work for a major American orchestra...

I prefer the "symphony" of sounds....

Four groups of cars and instruments, but all have their bass, baritone, alto and soprano ranges within each class....

It expresses the variety and the excitement of the sport very well...

although an opera tells a wonderful epic story..as this sport does as well...especially during a long endurance race...but does so in operetta form in a shorter format....

Old 22 Oct 2005, 00:31 (Ref:1440226)   #24
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
Is that the same group that races during the "12 Hours" weekend???
That is SVRA (Sportscar Vintage Racing Association). HSR was just down at Sebring, Road Atlanta this weekend and Daytona in near future. Some of the same cars as what you see at the SVRA Sebring get together, since vintage people usually stay regional. HSR does have a GTP/Group C/WSC class, and the Robinson R&S MkIIIC Judd was just down at Sebring, looking and sounding fantastic , and a GT40

The Saab I saw was a Sonnet, and I believe has some association with the guy who has the Orange Saab 93 you would know from each year at Sebring.
Old 22 Oct 2005, 01:05 (Ref:1440233)   #25
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Thanks for the clarification, Skycafe....

See you next march (or if they have "Winter Testing," Sooner!!!!)