Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 6 Oct 2002, 12:56 (Ref:396819)   #1
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2003 Aprilia - MGP & SBK

Who do we think will be the riders at Aprilia in MotoGP and SBK next year.

MotoGP - Laconi i presume has one place locked in. WHo for the 2nd seat. I've heard rumours about the possibiliy of Haga, unlikely though in my opinion. How about McWilliams, has Aprilia links from the past. Also i wouldn't count out Marco Melandri, heading for victory in the 250s this year on an Aprilia.

SBK - Apparently they are bringing the factory team in-house again next year, are having 2 bikes but need extra funding to accomplish this. Pirelli is rumoured to be able to provide this, obviously meaning that the team would use Pirelli tires, this situation meaning that both Xaus and Chili have apparently stopped negotiations. So who will join (presumably) Haga.
Old 6 Oct 2002, 13:27 (Ref:396834)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From what I've heard, and this is well out of left-field, that Haga will once again swap WSB for MotoGP and join Laconi at Aprilia. And this isn't mere rumour - this apparently has a letter of intent behind it.

From what I've heard, Melandri could end up on.... wait for it... a YAMAHA as Checa's team-mate!!!

But I would expect Aprilia to throw lots of money in Marco's general direction. He's grown up with them for a long time now, and surely they won't let him slip through their grasp.

Concering WSB, I do think Haga will stay in WSB. Who will join him? Wasn't Xaus already signed? If not, who knows? Perhaps another young Italian out of Supersports or something?
Old 6 Oct 2002, 13:43 (Ref:396851)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think MotoGP bikes would suit Haga any more than Yamaha's 500 did in 2001, so I think it will be Laconi alongside an established MotoGP rider, perhaps Melandri will get his chance to move up.

The question is, what is the long term thinking? Do they intend to discard SBK and concentrate exclusively on MotoGP any time soon if they start challenging with the new bike? If they are seeing MotoGP as the long term target, Melandri on that bike may not be the best bet, as neither rider would ahve a clue how a top level bike operates with only SBK and 250cc experience respectively, so maybe Melandri will go SBK to get more experience.
Old 7 Oct 2002, 23:39 (Ref:397989)   #4
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd say Marco would be a cert for the Motogp ride. Interesting about the WSBK. Xuas could still be at Ducati next year as Honda are reportedly trying to get Edwards a Motogp ride.

Last edited by pink69; 7 Oct 2002 at 23:40.
Old 8 Oct 2002, 10:29 (Ref:398199)   #5
asha
Veteran

asha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
as much as I dislike the guy marco is not stupid. There is no way he would take up a Aprilia motogp ride next year (why would any 250 champ move up with the worst bike).

My money says he stays in 250's (try earn himself a reputation)
Old 9 Oct 2002, 07:02 (Ref:398956)   #6
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
how can aprilia afford 2 motogp riders and 2 wsb riders

melandri would be crazy to go to motogp on that bike - what about fonsi nieto getting the aprilia motogp ride.....

i thought xaus and haga were already signed for wsb with aprilia.....
Old 9 Oct 2002, 09:53 (Ref:399079)   #7
asha
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by gomick

i thought xaus and haga were already signed for wsb with aprilia.....
I was under the same impression.
Old 9 Oct 2002, 09:55 (Ref:399084)   #8
asha
Veteran

I'd stake my life on The Fonz staying in 250's he has "unfinished business" written all over his face
Old 9 Oct 2002, 10:30 (Ref:399116)   #9
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Xaus was supposed to have signed with Aprilia, but if Aprila go with a certain tyre manufacturer in WSB, then it is thought Xaus will pull out of any deal. Not that he has many other options mind you. I'd be taking whatever you can get Ruben.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 12:38 (Ref:400224)   #10
Tobesterr1
Rookie

Tobesterr1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Xaus and the rest

Xaus has signed for Ducati WSBK now that Edwards has set his sights on MOTO GP. Edwards had a clause in his letter of intent with Ducati WSBK that stated that if he chose not to ride with Ducati then he would not be allowed to ride for any other team in WSBK which means he MUST move on now he has dissolved his relationship with Ducati.

Gobert was apparently rumoured to have been pencilled in as a possible team mate for Hodgson, I heard this at Imola from a number of sources, they were going to lean on Austin Ducati to let Gobert escape from his contract with them as Ducati were giving technical support to Ducati US. This seems to have been rejected now that Xaus has signed again.

The Aprilia situation looks like this, Haga tested the 'Cube' GP bike this week and it is possible that he will join Laconi BUT..........The big news is that Colin Edwards has been offered the Aprilia ride in GP as number 1 rider on Michelin tyres and has said that he now favours this option over West Honda Pons as they lied to him about money and they are going to be using Bridgstone tyres. The other ride is with Yamaha but Abe looks close to signing with Checa. Colin is Michelin's main tyre test guy so the Aprilia GP ride is a great opportunity according to Colin himself on his web site. Haga may go with him as team mate leaving Regis Laconi without a ride but I feel Haga will stay in WSBK with Chili for at least one year, the Pirelli money rumour is blown out of proportion as well. Time will tell all.

Hope this clears a few thing's up for you.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 15:07 (Ref:400382)   #11
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Tobesterr1, wlecome to the forums as well

Xaus has certainly dodged a bullet, you could tell from the interview at Imola that he thought he was out of Ducati. It is tempting to think what Gobert could have done on a factory Ducati though isn't it
Old 11 Oct 2002, 01:44 (Ref:400798)   #12
asha
Veteran

Thanks Tobesterr and welcome.

I was about to post an "any news on Edwards?" thread, but no real point now.
I do think it would be wrong for Edwards to go with the Aprilia thou, its the slowest bike in the paddock (even thou its weight could be easily lowered its just not competive). I do hope he gets a good ride. The Promac or the Yamaha teams look the best from here.

Something tells me that Colin Edwards and Sito Pons would have a bit of a personality clash, so i'm glad that may not happen. I dont really know why I say that, but it just seems true.

But I'm sure everyone wants Colin, and he looks certain to get a motogp ride.
He has noodles of talent.
Old 11 Oct 2002, 17:05 (Ref:401254)   #13
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The latest rumor is that Edwards may take the seat along side Laconi on the Aprilia. Who can say?
Never forget #99