Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 30 Oct 2002, 10:55 (Ref:417278)   #1
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Porsche Carrera Supercup

What are the chances of this thing getting up and running?

Do we really need it? It is only going to drain competitors from Nations Cup, and we have the current Porsche Cup anyway, which has decent fields and caters for a much wider variety of Porsche's.

What kind of series will it be? Will it be like the International Supercup (F1 support series) or German series, ie...Professional teams, Professional/Paid drivers? Or will it be a rich mans series like the current one?

Also, what about this proposed one make series for Maserati's? Two expensive one-make series, more series on top of what we have, what happens with the MGF series and Daewoo's?
Old 30 Oct 2002, 13:01 (Ref:417358)   #2
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apparently there are some big names behind the Supercup, a few high profile Porsche punters, and a former Porsche punter, I'd give it a good chance of kicking off, esp as the normal Porsche Cup will fill out the field in the begininning
Old 30 Oct 2002, 21:30 (Ref:417856)   #3
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AFAIA this is replacing the Porsche Cup. My initial reading of this new series is that Porsche themselves are the driving force behind it - something to do with the way the current Porsche Cup is being run.

Fields for normal Porsche Cup have been dwindling over the past 2 seasons - not all that much, but enough for Porsche to sit up and take notice.
Old 30 Oct 2002, 21:30 (Ref:417857)   #4
RaceTime
Veteran

Also - comments by Jim Richards are implying that the cost varience between Nations Cup and POrsche Super Cup are enough for him not to even consider Nations Cup next year.
Old 30 Oct 2002, 21:58 (Ref:417898)   #5
greg.n
Racer

greg.n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NZ is running a Porsche supercup series for GT3's this summer backed by Porsche, but it will run in conjunction with the amatuer Porsche series which is also a national championship this year. What do you mean about the variance in costs? Is Supercup cheaper than Nations Cup, and what does that do to Nations Cup. If Supercup is run at AVESCO venues is it a way of destroying Procar for Avesco?
Old 30 Oct 2002, 22:12 (Ref:417920)   #6
RaceTime
Veteran

Thank you - amateur was the word I was looking for - this is how I had read Porsche describing the running of the Australian Porsche Cup Series.

Costs - the article in AA states:

Quote:
'I can't afford to one of the new cars (the Porsche GT3RS), I won't be back in unless I get a car to drive - my priority is the new Carrera Cup class, if it goes ahead. I know I can afford to run those cars and they are good to drive and it is going to be great.'

'PROCAR have made the calass (Nations Cup) elitist. Only the rich people can afford to race in it and there are not that many guys who want to spend half a million dollars racing.'
Supercup has nothing to do with ProCar so in reality it won't affect them.
Old 31 Oct 2002, 03:02 (Ref:418124)   #7
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm fairly certain I read in AA a couple of weeks (months) back that they would want to pad out the field with current cars until everyone gets their new cars... will be interesting
Old 31 Oct 2002, 04:45 (Ref:418157)   #8
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RaceTime
Supercup has nothing to do with ProCar so in reality it won't affect them.
It will in a way though because all the drivers running Supercup cars in Nations Cup, which are/will be uncompetitive, will move across to the Supercup, leaving NC with fewer competitiors.

Porsche Cars Australia tried to get this thing going this year but ran into problems with AVESCO, maybe they finally realise the poor state of their support races.
Old 31 Oct 2002, 08:16 (Ref:418218)   #9
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
AVESCO have become well aware of the poor state of their support program, regardless of what we say about them, they do respond to feedback.

This is why they have re-signed the Historic Touring Cars, to support 7 V8 rounds next year. They've decided that people who come to a V8 round, should enjoy the whole day, not just the main event.
Old 31 Oct 2002, 08:20 (Ref:418219)   #10
RaceTime
Veteran

It's interesting that in one of their statements they stated that support categories need to be part of a national championship or series - which is one thing the Historic Touring Cars are not part of - so I am wondering if they are alrady having second thoughts about them or whether this was just Cochrane steam again.
Old 31 Oct 2002, 08:25 (Ref:418223)   #11
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Historic Touring Car races that support the V8s form a National series.
Old 31 Oct 2002, 08:32 (Ref:418228)   #12
RaceTime
Veteran

Not at present they don't - next year???
Old 31 Oct 2002, 08:39 (Ref:418231)   #13
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
This year there was a series, competitors were required to start at least 5 of the 6 rounds and you were able to drop the lowest scoring round. Bathurst was not a part of the series, it was a stand alone event and will be next year also.
Old 1 Nov 2002, 07:40 (Ref:419116)   #14
CooperS79
Racer

Australia
Wollongong
CooperS79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RaceTime, David is spot on, the Historic Touring Car Series was a national championship this year. There is a point score for outright and for the individual classes.

Last edited by CooperS79; 1 Nov 2002 at 07:41.
Old 1 Nov 2002, 08:22 (Ref:419132)   #15
RaceTime
Veteran

Been very well advertised then, hasn't it? (Not being funny) but first I have heard of it...
Old 2 Nov 2002, 15:42 (Ref:420227)   #16
Aussie 05
Rookie

Aussie 05 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
So are they planning on having one in Aus too, as they are starting one here in England next year.

I think the series is great.

So check out my homepage for more info on how to enter this free monthly competition.
Old 3 Nov 2002, 09:53 (Ref:420584)   #17
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
I don't think there is that much done with the promotion of the Historic Tourers because of the lack of possible sponsorship, and the fact that all of the recruiting etc is done internally within the Historic movements.