Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Feb 2003, 13:13 (Ref:494814)   #1
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
jiggly_puff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why do so many of you dislike jenson?

Just curious to know why so many of you don't like/don't rate him - whats he done wrong??????
Old 3 Feb 2003, 13:17 (Ref:494818)   #2
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe it's the media, who started to put him down. Firstly he was the new hope, then negative comments regarding his racing capabilities: moved to Monaco, clothing line, stuff like that. He did nothing wrong.
Old 3 Feb 2003, 13:19 (Ref:494821)   #3
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
No but loads of people on this forum think hes **** - when hes not!!!
Old 3 Feb 2003, 13:20 (Ref:494823)   #4
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course he's not, but the media says that he is. For the reasons I mentioned, I'm afraid.
Old 3 Feb 2003, 13:33 (Ref:494838)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've been wondering about this. I guess it's because he got so much initial hype then had a bad seocnd season. I think 2001 was hard because the car wasn't good, Fisichella is underrated and Ralf overrated, and his lifestyle arguably didn't help matters.

For 2002 he's been a changed man though, and relly drove well agaisnt Trulli, even outqualifying him several times. I tend not to support home drivers, but Jenson's one I think could make a big rival to Raikkonen and Montoya in years to come.
Old 3 Feb 2003, 13:34 (Ref:494839)   #6
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Its always beaten me too Jiggles, having watched him in FFord and F3, he is definitely special. Buth then so was JJ Lehto and it never really did him any good I hope Jenson has better fortune.
Old 3 Feb 2003, 13:53 (Ref:494866)   #7
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Don't worry Jiggles, Jenson will send Jacques to his retirement an unhappy man... well... as unhappy as is possible for a multi-millionaire with a wife half his age
Old 3 Feb 2003, 13:58 (Ref:494875)   #8
The_Z_Man
Racer

The_Z_Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jiggly_puff
No but loads of people on this forum think hes **** - when hes not!!!
Loads of people think that "Driver X", "Team Principal Y" or "Manufacturer Z" is pure unadulterated bovine fecal matter, never mind that the aforementioned subjects of critiscism have actually made it to F1 and are accomplishing things (or whatever the choosen field of endeavour) while "Poster X" is busy pontificating from his armchair about how So-and-So is <insert bashing stuff here>.

The_Z_Man

Last edited by The_Z_Man; 3 Feb 2003 at 13:58.
Old 3 Feb 2003, 14:03 (Ref:494883)   #9
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think Button is a bad driver, but I have yet to see anything that makes me think he is spectacular. His rookie season was by far his most impressive, to me. He has certainly got better since then, but nothing really noteworthy. I don't see a WDC in the making there... maybe a few race wins at some point, kind of like a Ralf, and maybe bag the title if circumstances were *perfect*.

What blind faith prompts anyone to think he will destroy JV? Admittedly, I am more a JV fan than JB, But I am trying to be unbiased when observing that Button hasn't shown anything that leads me to believe he will really thrash him. I'm not sure anyone could really thrash JV. Someone might beat him, but even MS himself would not humiliate him...
Old 3 Feb 2003, 14:20 (Ref:494895)   #10
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought he was something special but not anymore. Fisi WASTED him. The F1 teams seem to be playing pass the parcel with him. He is good at PR etc, goldenboy, all smiles but on the track he hasnt done what I thought he would having watched him in fford and f3.

I am afraid Villeneuve will waste him too this year.
Old 3 Feb 2003, 15:29 (Ref:494963)   #11
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Typical pro/anti rhetoric here - you know guys it is perfectly allowable to have an opinion without it being an extreme one. I would imagine very few people would expect him to thrash JV (actually, 11% have gone for that option in the poll!), but there are many that think it will be tight. I reckon people are confused about what to think of Button - look at Shiny S U's comment - "His rookie season was by far his most impressive, to me. He has certainly got better since then..." Huh? started out impressive and then got better. So where's the problem with that?

Te only wrong Button has done is getting a bit big-headed at the start of 2001 and letting Fisi get well ahead of him. 2002 was far better and I think he has got a great chance to make a big mark in 2003.
Old 3 Feb 2003, 15:37 (Ref:494970)   #12
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh, I think what I meant didn't show through, Glen...

By that I meant he beat my expectations in his first season, but in subsequent years he has failed to impress similarly, although he has almost certainly gotten better with time... sorry if I was a bit muddled before...

Last edited by shiny side up!; 3 Feb 2003 at 15:37.
Old 3 Feb 2003, 15:37 (Ref:494971)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Seeing the way he out-qualified his team-mate quite impressively at Spa and Suzuka back in 2000 tells me that he is a good driver and has great potential. 2001 wasn't a good year for him, but he did start turning it round at the end of the year. 2002 was much better, hopefully he'll have an even better season this year.

IMO, the only thing he did wrong was getting abit "big headed" with regards to his new found wealth, but, what 21 year old wouldn't? Thats where his father should have "guided" him abit better, but instead of doing so, seemed to "encourage" it.
Old 3 Feb 2003, 16:17 (Ref:495005)   #14
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JB's biggest problem in 2001 was leaving a front running team to join the worst team on the grid. That does take some adjustment. Starting in a good team can be a disadvantage. He had to learn way more in his second year than his first. If he had a second year against GF it would have been a closer fight.

That said, I have not seen anything special from him either. He seems to be "fast enough" but thats about it. Unfortunately he reminds me a little of DC. Both drivers are fast and have made some good moves and had some good races. However, comparing his driving to JV's is a tough one. If the title came down to the last race of the season with the team needing a win to claim the title who would you rather have JB or JV? I thing JV would be more likely to throw the car off but at the same time he would also be more likely to win and or get the most of the car. Jenson on the other hand seems to be the type that would definately finish the race but may not fight hard enough to claim the title because he would not have taken as many chances.
Old 3 Feb 2003, 16:19 (Ref:495008)   #15
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v

IMO, the only thing he did wrong was getting abit "big headed" with regards to his new found wealth, but, what 21 year old wouldn't? Thats where his father should have "guided" him abit better, but instead of doing so, seemed to "encourage" it.
I think that has a lot to do with it- I watched the guy through Formula Ford & F3, and was impressed- I was reasonably impressed by his first F1 season with Williams, and still think he's a better driver than many people seem to think- but I certainly think there has been far too much hype about him- certainly given his performance in 2001 against Fisi, when even allowing for the failings of the car, his lack of experience was shown up big time. He certainly looked better last season, and hopefully the improvement will continue at BAR

Is he a potential WDC? at the moment I'd say no, unless he finds himself in a dominant car at some point, but I think he may have the ability to prove us wrong- it's more a question to me of whether the attitudes right
Old 3 Feb 2003, 16:38 (Ref:495021)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I can't remember a thread bashing Button !

Are you really sure people here dislike him ?

I can remember Liz talking about his racing skills...

Jiggly are you sure ?
Old 3 Feb 2003, 16:55 (Ref:495038)   #17
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
yeah bon i am! there hasn't been a thread - but people in other general threads just seem to dislike him.......like the jv vs jb thread - he's not that bad!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 3 Feb 2003, 17:14 (Ref:495050)   #18
schuman
Rookie

schuman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think button will do well this season at bar, i guess if he beats villeneuve, there'll be some people saying its unequal equipment cos dave richards likes him best, the same lamos who say it about schumi and his teammates
Old 3 Feb 2003, 19:16 (Ref:495221)   #19
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He is for sure one of the best talents in this country and its great that he got to F1. Personally though I have never liked him because he is one the most arrogant ******s Ive ever met.
Old 3 Feb 2003, 19:40 (Ref:495244)   #20
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
everytime i've met him he's been a really nice bloke....must just be you mackmot!
Old 3 Feb 2003, 22:04 (Ref:495435)   #21
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
The problem was that Murray used to go hysterical every time he mentioned Bunsen, and that was often no mattre what happened on track - and so did Martin. I suppose they hyped him up too much and the let down became an anti-climax.
More interesting is Bunsen's own article about how he won't be so trusting again after being let down by certain people in F1 whom he trusted.
Bunsen is a good driver, make no mistake. He is young, and he will improve. Whether he will become WDC is another matter that relies on many other variables, but he will be up there if the car is competitive.
As for dislike, I can't remember any posts where posters came out and said they disliked Bunsen - they may not think he is that great, but that is an opinion. They may have teased him a bit, but that's just forum talk.
I think that just about sums it up for you, jiggly_puff.
Old 3 Feb 2003, 22:10 (Ref:495442)   #22
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if Jenson is disliked, what are Schumacher and Villeneuve then?
Old 4 Feb 2003, 00:37 (Ref:495609)   #23
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I don't dislike him, I do think he comes across as being boring, though not in same league as Kimi. I think both drivers need a personality implant.

JPM is my boy.

Last edited by Sodemo; 4 Feb 2003 at 00:38.
Old 4 Feb 2003, 04:06 (Ref:495716)   #24
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Button was overhyped to being with by the British press.

He was impressive enough in 2000, but he was racing against Ralf...

He has a shocker in 2001, and was in the tabloid headlines far too often and not in the racing column enough.

He improved in 2002 against Trulli and appears to be back on track.

Who knows what the next few years will bring.
Old 4 Feb 2003, 08:04 (Ref:495796)   #25
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just saw this thread, haven't read over it, but I'd like to add my two cents worth. I simply don't think Jensen is as good as he is hyped up to be. Sure, Spa 2000 was very impressive, and in the second half of the season he was qualifying very well, but the fact is, he was beaten by Ralf. 2001 was a terrible season, not sure went on their.

I am not saying I think he is ****, but I don't think he's a potential champion, either.