Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 16 Sep 2002, 13:56 (Ref:381558)   #1
slipangle
Rookie

slipangle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What team would you drive for in FFord and why?

Given the choice, what team would you guys drive for in FFord? Give your reasons. I am curious to know the opinions on the different teams through the field.
Old 16 Sep 2002, 14:26 (Ref:381586)   #2
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would drive for Mackie Motorsport because we have Magnetti Marrelli data aquisition on all our cars which helps less talented drivers develop, all it takes to do well with us is half a brain and the hunger to win. We also seem to be the only non profit team in the country because Andy Mackie spends all of the projected profit and his own wages on making the cars go faster. This means that we buy the best equipment and tools (Snap on tools, damper dyno, magnetti marelli etc), and the best parts (best nuts, bolts etc).

Oh yes also Andy Mackie is the best Formula Ford engineer of all time and I dont think that you will find anyone that will argue different.
Old 16 Sep 2002, 14:35 (Ref:381598)   #3
slipangle
Rookie

slipangle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To add and addendum to this post, could team owners please not blatantly advertise for their own teams. It defeats the intended purpose, which is to find out what everyone else thinks of their teams. If you are going to do so, at least use a different name then that of your own team. Cheers!
Old 16 Sep 2002, 14:37 (Ref:381602)   #4
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ok drive for van diemen they have many years success and are run by the most trustworthy team manager, Jonathan Lewis.
Old 16 Sep 2002, 14:50 (Ref:381617)   #5
BennyBoy1978
Veteran

England
Sydney
BennyBoy1978 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would say Van Diemen going on there record but from what Mackie says a 1st time newby could obviously benefit from there situation
Also the JLR team have looked good this year
Old 16 Sep 2002, 14:58 (Ref:381622)   #6
Master Yoda
Rookie

Master Yoda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is that true about Jonathan Lewis because all that I have ever heard about him is bad.
Old 16 Sep 2002, 15:32 (Ref:381646)   #7
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
No comment
Old 16 Sep 2002, 15:38 (Ref:381649)   #8
Master Yoda
Rookie

See, i'm sure if you were a faceless poster you could have said something there...
Old 16 Sep 2002, 16:01 (Ref:381669)   #9
FlyingFinn
Rookie

FlyingFinn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have heard that Jonathan Lewis has been done for cheating in the sport more times than anyone can count. And also that he picks one driver as his favorite every year and neglects the others. It seems to me you would be hard pressed to find a driver that has worked with him in the past, that has a good thing to say about him now. I can say that VD is one team I would not want to drive for.
Old 16 Sep 2002, 17:53 (Ref:381732)   #10
Morcilman
Racer

Spain
Spain
Morcilman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
easy! I would drive for the best team(logical) and the best team is the team that gives you the best options of winning, that means a team that wins every year races with diferent drivers (no matter who) and there is only one, van Diemen. The rest of the teams some of the times get into the van diemens (if they have a good experience driver that could not have a VD drive), but they are generaly a worst option to VD. Sorry to say that all of the professional teams have Magneti marelly, snap on tools, nd sorry, but Makie do not have a team for a non profit cause, be does it for a profit, if he uses to invest is good, but that is not a NON_PROFIT organization at all. Some teams like Murray and Makie, etc are good, and with drivers like Dalgren can win races and even the championship, but in general the best option is one.
Old 16 Sep 2002, 18:03 (Ref:381744)   #11
Muppet
Racer

Muppet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd choose Tim Sugden's team in Junior FF for first year then go to Meritus in F3 Scholarship. Senior FF is too expensive.
Old 16 Sep 2002, 18:17 (Ref:381752)   #12
pitpopsie
Racer

United Kingdom
Indiana
pitpopsie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd race for Mackie definately!! They seem to know what they are up too.
Old 16 Sep 2002, 18:26 (Ref:381758)   #13
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Id go with Mackie for a few reasons. For starters they can get the job done so really what more do you need. It seems like a good group too, but they've also got teams in all 3 series. Juniors, Seniors, and Renaults. If you were a young driver moving up you could stay with the same team and really build up a rapport and continuity. I think you'd do better racing with one good team at each of the three levels, then going to three seperate teams of equal ability.
Old 16 Sep 2002, 19:24 (Ref:381815)   #14
sgrok
Racer

sgrok should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think its funny how Van Diemen are assumed the best team at the moment.When they have the pick of almost everything each year and last year they won nothing.Only to be beaten to the championship by Murray Racing and this year again they have been made look a little silly by a customer team but one thing is true they are consistent because they generally have the strongest package. BUT NOT THE BEST TEAM
Old 16 Sep 2002, 19:47 (Ref:381831)   #15
medler
Racer

medler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure which I'd drive for, but lets get away from this partisan approach. Of course Mackmot would drive Mackie it’s his team and as for it not making a profit perhaps they should have this on the back of their truck “Mackie Motorsport is a non profit organisation. It wasn’t supposed to be that way it just the way it turned out.” Joking aside as I’d be a talentless newbie Mackie might look like a good option for me. Van Diemen have been very successful, but is that because they wouldn’t touch somebody like me with a barge pole. The question is, are they successful because they are good at what they do or because they cherry pick the best drivers? I’ve also heard that only one-driver gets Jonathan Lewis full attention. What of the other teams JLR always look very professional, Murray won the championship in 2001 and their performance this year seems to have more to do with Mygale not getting their act together. Nexa have yet to get the results, but are getting closer. Continental have done better since getting the RF02.and Joey Foster has got a podium with Marque. I’d also consider teams like Marque and Continental because as well ad being talentless I haven’t got the big budget needed for the big teams.
Old 16 Sep 2002, 20:04 (Ref:381853)   #16
Russfeld
Veteran

Whilst this isnt the thread for it im not convinced the Mygale 2002 was that bad. Continental stayed with it and it got up towards the front at the end of the year. Wayne should be able to comment because I think they tested it and entered it at one round.

What boggled my mind was Geva Racing in Benelux dumping it, hell they were on the front row at Spa and then they switched!
Old 16 Sep 2002, 21:08 (Ref:381895)   #17
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
We didnt enter this years Mygale or test it even but there were problems with it just like the past 3 years. However in 99, 2000 and 2001 there were teams like us and Haywood who have had the development no how and budget to make the car good. Murray are a decent team at getting a car prepared and set up but they do not know how to develop a car. In Formula Ford the most important part of the year is testing and development pre season.

Morcilman most teams do not have magnetti marelli, it is easily the best system to use to develop a car but it is also very difficult to use and very expensive. Most teams use PI 6 which is a good cheap program for teaching drivers how to drive but it has only half the capabilities of Magnetti. Also by non profit I am basically saying we are not in it for the money, each year we make our bank manager happy by showing him we mean to make money next year but we always end up spending it to do well.

Also we are not doing renault next year as Fortec have 20 drivers lined up and no one else does. This means that we will have to wait until February next year when Fortec decide to drop 15 applicants and Im sure we will be near the bottom of the pecking order. This is why we are selling or Renaults.
Old 16 Sep 2002, 21:32 (Ref:381920)   #18
Russfeld
Veteran

ah my mistake then. Formulaworld.com had Darwin Smith listed in a Mackie SJ2002 for the Mondello Seniors round.

Could you possibly go into more detail about the Renault situation? I didnt think you did that badly in what was an immensely deep year. A first year team (at least in that series) with a first year driver was going to be quite a mountain. I think you guys should stick with it. Look at Fortec. They struggled somewhat last year in their rookie season with a driver who is proving to be a truly special talent. Now they're the world beaters.

When you say Fortec have 20 drivers lined up, they've put in applications to run 20 cars or something?
Old 16 Sep 2002, 21:33 (Ref:381921)   #19
Master Yoda
Rookie

I suppose the works team(soon to be another customer team) would be the choice if you were the 'loved' driver(the one on the deal holding Lewis's hand at the track) but to go there and be one of the others(the ones complaining about Lewis holding the loved drivers hand) would be madness. Just an expensive way to lose the Formula Ford championship in my opinion.
Next season with them just being a customer team I can't see the attraction anymore and I reckon you will see more people going to JLR and Nexa for a good honest job. So, probably one of these two for me!!
Old 16 Sep 2002, 21:43 (Ref:381934)   #20
FlyingFinn
Rookie

FlyingFinn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With VD becoming another "customer" team next year, I can't see any reason to go there. The enviornment is terrible for any driver, when you are pitted against your team mates. Especially when your team manager is known for starting fights in the pitlane. Nexa will be a force to be reckoned with next year. They will put it all together and take the championship, and every driver will have a fair shot at it. My money is on them!
Old 16 Sep 2002, 22:07 (Ref:381965)   #21
medler
Racer

medler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think I'd want to drive for Van Diemen if I wasn't the chosen one. I'd look for a team that give value for money, that might not be the cheapest, but the one that give a good package. That is good kit plenty of testing and development, good mechanic, a fair share of time with the engineer and a good team atmosphere. Flying Finn what do you know about Nexa that makes you sure they can win in 2003. 'cos if you are right I reckon I can get some good odds on them and make enough money to race in 2004.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 08:55 (Ref:382240)   #22
sgrok
Racer

I think all you guys are missing something. All these teams you mention have tried for years and years to beat Van Diemen to the Championship. What makes you think the same babblings each year will change this time? To beat Van Diemen it takes determination, a very good package and money you must be prepared to lose money to beat these guys because they don t mind losing money themselves trying to beat you because they have a reputation and a manufacture behind them. As for Murray not being able to develop a car there RF2001 seems to be as good as any of the mentioned teams 2002 cars.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 09:48 (Ref:382279)   #23
Master Yoda
Rookie

I'm afraid you are missing something sgrok. Always in the past they have been a works team but not for next year. Never before have they had to stand on their own two feet financially. Do you think Lewis will be prepared to lose money to stay at the top....I don't think so!

Anyway, how do you back up that statement about the Murry 2001 car. Are you saying that Thompson isn't very good but because of the car he gets into the mid field??
Old 17 Sep 2002, 09:50 (Ref:382284)   #24
Master Yoda
Rookie

Anyway, you still havn't said who you would drive for....
Old 17 Sep 2002, 10:21 (Ref:382302)   #25
sgrok
Racer

First thing is its not Jonathon s team so he will not lose any money anyway and secondly your in a dream world if you think that the Van Diemen team will change much for next year all that will be different is that it will not be the Duckhams Van Diemen Team and they have different premises.

And the point I was making was that Alx Dainelsson has run right at the front of the Snet race and the Brands Race in Murray s RF2001.

I would choose Murray Racing if I could afford to race because they have beaten the best (VAN DIEMEN), they are the only team to have beaten Van Diemen over a Championship "ever" and their present & past drivers have only good words to say about the team as a whole.