Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 May 2005, 09:00 (Ref:1303560)   #1
f1_carzy
Racer

United Kingdom
Bangor, Co Down
f1_carzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schumi to race on till end of 2007?

Just read this story of planet-f1.com, which say that MS has been offerred 1 more year extension to his contract? Is there any meat in the story or this is just another of the many theories surrounding MS???

http://www.planet-f1.com/news/story_19561.shtml
Old 18 May 2005, 10:11 (Ref:1303614)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
MS contract length is really irrelevant.

He won't be bound by that when he wants to stop.

One day he'll just announce he's off and that will be that.
Old 18 May 2005, 10:22 (Ref:1303617)   #3
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Though it's always been my hunch that he'll wait until 2006 and then race on a year-by-year basis. I've always thought he'll go on beyond 2006, and I don't think he'd leave Ferrari in the lurch by quitting mid-season. Besides, he has Patrese's record of GPs contested to shoot for, which he'd beat in (I think) mid-2008.
Old 18 May 2005, 10:56 (Ref:1303642)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That is pretty much the situation KB - a mid-season departure at some point isn't inconcievable, althoguh right now I thinkhe is still enjoying the racing and is determined to get back on top. One big accident might change things I suspect - I don't think we can say for certain that Indy last year wouldn't've been his last race if Ralf hadn't recovered.
Old 18 May 2005, 12:10 (Ref:1303693)   #5
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe he should move teams for 2007! Now that may add a bit more interest!
Old 18 May 2005, 12:21 (Ref:1303704)   #6
mabs_nsx
Veteran

Australia
Where Rally Aus belongs - Perth, WA
mabs_nsx is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by esorniloc
I agree he should go to another team. He should go to Sauber, Jordan (Midland from 2006) or Minardi. If I where him I would go to Jordan or Minardi and help them out.
Old 18 May 2005, 13:06 (Ref:1303735)   #7
Red Emperor
Rookie

Red Emperor has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabs_nsx
I agree he should go to another team. He should go to Sauber, Jordan (Midland from 2006) or Minardi. If I where him I would go to Jordan or Minardi and help them out.
If you were him you probably would not do that.
Old 18 May 2005, 13:49 (Ref:1303754)   #8
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Michael currently have his hands full "help(ing)" Bridgestone out.

It would take until mid season before Bridgestone manages to build a tyre that last and perform consistently to the new rules, and by then, they'd be left trailing Michelin for outright pace...and play catch up.

If the rules for tyres are going to change again, then Bridgestone would simply find the cycle repeated.

Michael? I think he would probably decide by mid-season in 05, 06 or 07 whether he wants to retire at the end of that season or not. And he'd only announce his retirement at the final race, or final 3 races. But i don't foresee him leaving halfway through a season.
Old 18 May 2005, 14:20 (Ref:1303768)   #9
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
MS contract length is really irrelevant.

He won't be bound by that when he wants to stop.

One day he'll just announce he's off and that will be that.
I think you'll find that Michael is obliged to give Ferrari 1 years notice that he intends to leave.

The other side of the coin is Michaels passion for the team. I can't honestly see him phoning Jean Todt up one morning and telling him he won't be back. I don't think Michael would drop the team in the s*** like that.
Old 18 May 2005, 14:22 (Ref:1303770)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by esorniloc

F1Racng are touting the (very unlikely, by their own admission) idea of Michael to Red-Bull Ferrari.

Never gonna happen imo, would be nice to see what Michael could do with the car, but why would he want the hassle.
Old 18 May 2005, 15:27 (Ref:1303822)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It could be that we're now seeing Michael battle against the odds in an inferior car again. Unless Rubens is terribly off-form this car has not been a podium-capable car anywhere bar Imola (Melbourne was somewhat fortunate for Rubens). If it comes ot the end of the season and Michael still feels thereis no hope of a change of fortunes (and right now a control tyre or a continued slog of illegal testing while the other teams stay within the rules they set might be the only thing that can save Ferrari) he may not feel that it's all worth it.
Old 18 May 2005, 15:30 (Ref:1303824)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
I think you'll find that Michael is obliged to give Ferrari 1 years notice that he intends to leave.
Not having read his contract, I didn't know that.

But you can't make a driver drive if he doesn't want to any more.

Quote:

The other side of the coin is Michaels passion for the team. I can't honestly see him phoning Jean Todt up one morning and telling him he won't be back. I don't think Michael would drop the team in the s*** like that.

I just think that the way the decision will come to Michael (waking up one morning and thinking "that's it" means he'll have to do exactly that.
Old 18 May 2005, 21:09 (Ref:1304070)   #13
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Pretty cold bunch in Formula1 aren't they.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/default.stm
Old 19 May 2005, 05:45 (Ref:1304278)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

Not quite sure what story you're getting at there, Jeremy...
Old 19 May 2005, 05:49 (Ref:1304281)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
This one i believe?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/moto...ne/4559401.stm
Old 19 May 2005, 06:08 (Ref:1304290)   #16
Kicking-back
Veteran

Just Flavio stirring it

Great stuff!
Old 19 May 2005, 07:24 (Ref:1304317)   #17
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or rather journalists stirring it. (surprise surprise )Pitpass
Old 19 May 2005, 13:52 (Ref:1304595)   #18
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Not quite sure what story you're getting at there, Jeremy...
KB it was a story from yesterday by Briatore from the BBC, but it appears that he was totally miss quoted? Here is the story from Pitpass

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=24476
Old 19 May 2005, 14:07 (Ref:1304609)   #19
Kicking-back
Veteran

Yes, the BBC now has the climbdown from Flavio too!
Old 19 May 2005, 14:17 (Ref:1304618)   #20
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Yes, the BBC now has the climbdown from Flavio too!
Good point KB it sounded to me like Flavio decided he should rescind his statements..Who knows
Old 19 May 2005, 19:22 (Ref:1304811)   #21
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabs_nsx
# If I where him I would go to Jordan or Minardi and help them out.
shhhhh the silly season has'nt started yet