Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 3 Sep 2004, 18:19 (Ref:1086181)   #1
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What happened to Ben Collins!

What happened to Ben Collins!

At first he was going to run all the races from Phoneix on wards then it looked like he was going to be able to do the final 4 races from Nazerth onwards.

:confused:
Old 3 Sep 2004, 18:20 (Ref:1086183)   #2
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sponsership issues had something to do with it I guess.
Old 3 Sep 2004, 18:22 (Ref:1086186)   #3
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The sponsors pulled out at the last minute.
Old 3 Sep 2004, 19:06 (Ref:1086214)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You've basically answered your own statement/question there. PDM never made it out onto the track as a result, which is a shame.
Old 3 Sep 2004, 21:29 (Ref:1086351)   #5
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, they ran at Indy with Robbie McGee.
Old 3 Sep 2004, 22:03 (Ref:1086375)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Istand corrected. It's still rough justice for the team that gave Sam his chance.
Old 4 Sep 2004, 08:51 (Ref:1086589)   #7
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Very much so. They are working on getting a full time package for next year though.
Old 6 Sep 2004, 22:21 (Ref:1088573)   #8
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Go to my thread, "A New Team In The IRL?".

There is a rumor about a new team, and it could be him...

Danica Patrick
Old 7 Sep 2004, 08:07 (Ref:1088804)   #9
F3lollipops
Racer

United Kingdom
Lollipop Land
F3lollipops should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An ex-F3 driver, Ben had a successful outing in the British GT championship at Thruxton recently. When I was talking to him after the race he joked that it had made a nice change to turn right once in a while
Old 7 Sep 2004, 09:00 (Ref:1088834)   #10
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
hes now racing in ascar again...altho not as much success as last year
Old 8 Sep 2004, 08:14 (Ref:1089664)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Maybe Ben will get another chance to pursue his US ambition. ASCAR achievements don't seem to be viewed with much respect in the US, but it's got to elave you well-prepared for oval racing.
Old 8 Sep 2004, 12:38 (Ref:1089883)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ASCAR worked as a stepping-stone for Darren Manning.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 12:21 (Ref:1091886)   #13
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
True, but then he also had experience as a F3000 front-runner and F1 test driver.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 12:38 (Ref:1091905)   #14
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ben Collins might have switched his focus towards US stock-car racing - he's set to race in the ASA race at Charlotte later this year. Crash.Net reports (posted on September 3rd);

Quote:
Collins to race with Texaco Havoline in the US.

2003 Days of Thunder Champion Ben Collins will be heading to the United States at the end of the season to take on the Americans in the American Speed Association (ASA) race on the 1.5-mile oval at Lowes Motor Speedway in North Carolina on October 14th.

Texaco Havoline are backing Collins in this one off race and will be taking on some of the worlds top NASCAR and ASA drivers on the high speed, 24 degree banked oval. The car will be in the same colours as his Days of Thunder car, including the famous number 42, and will be run by established ASA race team Wood Brothers. Ben is no stranger to racing in America after he spent 1999 competing in the Indy Lights Championship, posting a new lap record at Michigan Speedway and taking six top 10 finishes in his rookie year.

“Thanks to Texaco Havoline and US Automotive, this is going to be an excellent opportunity for me to show what I can do in front of some really high profile teams as we are looking at the possibility of a full time drive for 2005,” said Ben Collins. “This will be the first time that ASA have raced at Charlotte so most of the drivers will be learning the circuit, including me, making it more of a level playing field for the race. I am hoping for a good finish to the Days of Thunder season and go to the States on a high.”

Dennis Klein, Managing Director of Motorsport Connections said: “This deal for Ben to race in the United States is part of a larger deal put together by Motorsport Connections, the acting motorsport agency for Chevron Texaco UK. I'll be in North Carolina with Ben talking to a number of high profile individuals with a view to Ben racing in America next year.”
Old 10 Sep 2004, 14:35 (Ref:1092027)   #15
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could be a good opportunity for him, as he's more familiar with stock cars than open-wheelers in recent years. The only problem for him, at first, will be gaining acceptance (and the neccessary fradting support) from a field of drivers who may not want a foreigner alongside them.