Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 12 Aug 2001, 14:04 (Ref:129241)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Update on MG?

Hi,

Can someone update me on whats happening with MG in the BTCC?
Old 12 Aug 2001, 17:11 (Ref:129278)   #2
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

Eddie_harasym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't Know mate seems to have gone all quite, thought there would be at least some pics somewhere from the cars shakedown.

Lets just hope there note having part supply problems like ABG/JSM did.
Old 12 Aug 2001, 17:25 (Ref:129286)   #3
hunttheshunt
Veteran

hunttheshunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I was thinking exactly the same thing earlier-where are MG. There testing programme was supposed to start a few eeks ago, but no news, no pics, no nothing. :confused:
Old 12 Aug 2001, 19:40 (Ref:129302)   #4
Guy Goddard
Racer

Guy Goddard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There keeping the program behind closed or should I say locked doors to keep the media pressure off so they can concentrate on the job in hand, a test session has already been completed by both drivers although the very interesting point was another driver present who wore a black helmet and no sponsership....is it Matt Neal???

Guy
Old 12 Aug 2001, 20:15 (Ref:129318)   #5
hunttheshunt
Veteran

...or Nigel Mansell?
Old 12 Aug 2001, 21:08 (Ref:129339)   #6
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i was thinkin it may be their "household name"
Old 13 Aug 2001, 18:48 (Ref:129791)   #7
hunttheshunt
Veteran

I reckon Nige or Damon.
Old 13 Aug 2001, 18:57 (Ref:129802)   #8
Guy Goddard
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by hunttheshunt
...or Nigel Mansell?
Money appears no object for MG and they are keen for Mansell to come on board for his experience and maybe a drive. We may see the same set up as Ford in 1998 where Mansell consulted and drove in guest appearance to attract media which it did in a big way.
Mansells connections with MG go back to the early 80's and he also featured in an Austin/MG commercial with Murray Walker!!.
Whatever the views are of Mansell he would be the one man who could turn the BTCC around and attract others to join if he committed to a full season.
Was he the drivers may mate spotted at the test session, not sure but he said he was covered up until stepping in the car and even in the car had a dark tinted visor, car had no name, it could be nothing but then again it could be big news....
Old 16 Aug 2001, 08:34 (Ref:131150)   #9
MGF
Racer

MGF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Evidently MG went testing at the Mira track (whereever/whatever that is) and ran 4 hours without any problems.
As for our 'Nige' what a coup that would be!!
Old 16 Aug 2001, 10:10 (Ref:131173)   #10
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Getting Nigel on board would be the best thing around, I'm sure that he was a possibility for the BMP Peugeot 406 Coupe as well as Aaron Slight?

I don't want the BTCC saturated with huge crouds, but hey more people = more manufacturers = more AA Grid Girls!
Old 16 Aug 2001, 12:43 (Ref:131243)   #11
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Actually it would be really good to see Matt Neil in the car. He is a superb racer who was in some ways held back by Nissan in the BTCC. He also has good sponsorship from his Dad and attracts a good crowd as well. Anyone who has been to a BTCC meeting will know of the huge lines outside the Matt Neil garage for autographs. His image too would be good for MG who are really trying to attract the younger driver away from the Citroen Saxos, Renault Clios and Ford Focus.

Go on MG, give the guy a chance!
Old 16 Aug 2001, 12:51 (Ref:131247)   #12
Kelvin
Veteran

Kelvin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont think MG will be looking for a driver to bring finance with them, and there own sponsorship deal! But Matt would be a 'fans' choice of driver!

Kelvin
Old 16 Aug 2001, 17:43 (Ref:131342)   #13
Guy Goddard
Racer

MG are well aware of branding the MG with a more youthful flavour and hence Matt Neal is on the "shopping list" should a third car arrive next year.
Old 16 Aug 2001, 17:47 (Ref:131345)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Guy, I have to say that you sound like a man in the 'know'
Old 16 Aug 2001, 18:02 (Ref:131352)   #15
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

You sure do Guy, tell us more?

Incidently how many quality racing drivers are there that could take the MG seat and are household names?

I'm sure MG would also want someone youngish to take the seat aswell?
Old 16 Aug 2001, 18:04 (Ref:131353)   #16
scotsman
Rookie

scotsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Matt Neal

Where is Matt anyway ?
Was talkin to one o' the tasties (birds that is) at the team dynamic stand and they said their Chief Engineer is on his way to Oz after Matt has Wrote off his HSV Commodore after 2 laps ?
Any truth in the matter , would be good to see him back .
Old 16 Aug 2001, 20:58 (Ref:131412)   #17
hunttheshunt
Veteran

I expect to see 3 MG's next year as long as they can run 2 cars efficiently this year. Reidy will definately drive, not too sure about Hughes in 2002 though. depends on this year's performances.
Old 17 Aug 2001, 09:30 (Ref:131583)   #18
Guy Goddard
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by hunttheshunt
I expect to see 3 MG's next year as long as they can run 2 cars efficiently this year. Reidy will definately drive, not too sure about Hughes in 2002 though. depends on this year's performances.
I an sure your right, Hughes has to prove himself for 2002, Reid has done the deal and the third driver is still TBA.

Guy
Old 17 Aug 2001, 09:34 (Ref:131585)   #19
Guy Goddard
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Eddie_harasym
You sure do Guy, tell us more?

Incidently how many quality racing drivers are there that could take the MG seat and are household names?

I'm sure MG would also want someone youngish to take the seat aswell?
My opinion for what its worth is either Nigel Mansell or Damon Hill as the third driver if they go for the household name but MG are also keen as you say Eddie to go for someone like Matt Neal who will appeal to the youthful market.
I think I would go for (2002 line up)

1) Reid
2) Neal
3) Mansell

Guy
Old 17 Aug 2001, 10:03 (Ref:131595)   #20
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Guy,

If that comes off then the series will really take off again and it will do wonders for the MG marque. I was looking at the new cars the other evening and they actually look quite good. The problem Rover/MG have to overcome is the bad name they have managed to accumulate over the past 20 years. I still remember when Rover and MG were the cars everyone wanted to own, and no one could afford!

Ok, time to get my zimmer frame out again I guess
Old 17 Aug 2001, 14:00 (Ref:131706)   #21
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

I don't think its really over the past 20 years mate, the main problem has been under BMW ownership when Rover and the MG brands were really held back from any sporting or competition dealings. The Germans just didn't understand what the marque stood for, similar to how they don't understand the british sense of humour.

I'm sure everyone remembers or has seen a Metro 6R4 or a 200bhp coupe, hardly cars from a old mans brand?

I think if Guy's selection for 2001 is right then MG/Rover will become a well respected British brand again.
Old 17 Aug 2001, 17:32 (Ref:131798)   #22
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
To a degree I agree with you Eddie, but you also have to remember the Montego and the likes, before that the Rover SDI, non of which were really in the same class as the Rovers and MG's of old
Old 17 Aug 2001, 18:52 (Ref:131831)   #23
Guy Goddard
Racer

Steve and Eddie, you both make a good point about the MG branding.
hence the third driver scenario, don't quote me on the line up I suggested as its based on very little evidence. I can tell you a senior member of MG motorsport did talk to Nigel Mansell about a drive at Rockingham and I think there is another "chat" lined up next Tuesday when Mansell will be driving the Minardi F1 car.
If MG put Mansell in the car next year for a full season I reckon his presence alone will add 10,000 people on the crowd.
Whatever happens I think there is going to be alot more young people buying the 25 and 45 MG's.
Old 17 Aug 2001, 21:29 (Ref:131918)   #24
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would like it to be Damon Hill, but I suppose Mansell has proved himself in Touring Cars.

I think Mansell is a close friend of Richard Wests from their Williams days together.

I also think that the Touring and Rally Car's will be used in MGs advertising campaign for the road cars, saying things like: "the MG ZS takes its roots from the highly successful(hopefully) ZS British Touring Car."

I wonder if Vauxhall will do anything like that, as Nissan and then Ford, last year put the Mondeo in one of the spreadsheets.
Old 17 Aug 2001, 21:40 (Ref:131931)   #25
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
What exactly has Mansell done to prove himself in Touring Cars. That one feature race at Donington was great but have you forgotten that the other 5 races he was in that year were decidedly less than average.