Racer

MrBluesman1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams should have gotten rid of him and not Button for 01
Old 7 Dec 2003, 21:20 (Ref:806197)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BMW wouldn't let them. Anyway, Button and Montoya would've been too inexperienced a combination to make use of the impressive 2001 car.

Wili Weber's clearly being clever here. He knows that Williams can't afford to lose both drivers for 2005, and that BMW hold Ralf as important, meaning that he's had much better wages than Montoya even though his performances have barely merited it. I'm sure they will eventually reach a compromise point - there are no competitive drives free for 2005 elsewhere.

Last edited by BootsOntheSide; 7 Dec 2003 at 21:23.
Old 7 Dec 2003, 21:22 (Ref:806198)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
WW has failed to work his personal sopnsorship magic like he did with Michael at Ferrari.

Anyway, my guess would be that it is a small problem. Williams might still want Ralf for continuity...
Old 7 Dec 2003, 21:48 (Ref:806210)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
"Schumacher's manager, Willi Weber, warned the 28-year-old could quit Williams for another team.

"If the conditions are not right then we will simply not sign," Weber told German newspaper Bild.

"There are other quick cars around. It is not as if Ralf will be sitting on the street."

Just out of interest, where could Rafe go to get a better seat? McLaren?.....not with JPM and Kimi there, Ferrari?...seems unlikely! If Rafe wants a race winning seat, his only option will be to stay at Williams.
Old 7 Dec 2003, 23:07 (Ref:806248)   #6
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It seems to me that Ralph is hanging onto his brothers and onto BMW's coat tails. This guy has provem to be a wimp in the car and does not deserve another shot at a WDC with the Williams team, a title he is not capable of winning; he just doesn't have it. I think it is high time that FW/PH find a way to get rid of him and keep BMW happy at the same time, (as their power and influence with this team appears unrefutable).

Last edited by Kirk; 7 Dec 2003 at 23:11.
Old 7 Dec 2003, 23:10 (Ref:806251)   #7
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ralf really impressed me last year. He's finally starting to put it together. At the time that Williams ditched Button it seemed like a pretty stupid decision.
Old 7 Dec 2003, 23:21 (Ref:806258)   #8
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Based on some things WW has said this year, I think he is going to try to cram Ralf into the red baron's seat at Ferrari when he retires.
Old 7 Dec 2003, 23:26 (Ref:806266)   #9
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why drivers like Coultard and Ralfie have top drives is totally beyond me, hopefully he is sacked for Villeneuve next year!
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 7 Dec 2003, 23:35 (Ref:806274)   #10
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Ahhh Teddy, the eternal optimist
Old 8 Dec 2003, 00:28 (Ref:806311)   #11
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it is about time that Williams got themselves a new driver.

Without knowing the entire story though, it is hard to figure out how important Ralf is to the team in teams of the BMW-Williams relationship - If not, his driving success.

Since BMW have recently signed the contract binding the team and engine supplier until 2008 (Was it? Well, it is for a while), Williams may be able to simply drop Ralf at the end of his contract, and BMW would not be able to do anything about it.

Since JPM is leaving at the end of 2004, i think for the sake of continuation - Ralf should remain for 2005, as a new driver replaces JPM - then bring in another new driver, in 2006 - So that there is a slightly more experienced driver in the team.

Ralf of late hasnt been that bad. At Suzuka he was not all that impressive, but during the year, he was really on it. Had it not been for his Monza testing crash, he probably could have won the championship.
Old 8 Dec 2003, 01:13 (Ref:806331)   #12
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by twig
Had it not been for his Monza testing crash, he probably could have won the championship.
No chance
Old 8 Dec 2003, 02:01 (Ref:806350)   #13
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It would have been possible
Old 8 Dec 2003, 02:06 (Ref:806353)   #14
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMHO Ralf is overpaid as it is, let alone wanting even more money. Lots of talented drivers would race for FREE at Williams.
Old 8 Dec 2003, 02:27 (Ref:806361)   #15
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBluesman1
Williams should have gotten rid of him and not Button for 01
I couldn't agree more...both of them would be challenging for the championship and I am willing to bet it would have gone a long way towards holding onto JPM
Old 8 Dec 2003, 04:44 (Ref:806390)   #16
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With Jacques' retirement, Ralf becomes the 2nd highest paid driver in F1. And he wants a raise, to a level that I don't think his accomplishments warrant. And obviously, Frank and Patrick are of the same opinion. They must surely know about BMW's level of suppport for baby Schuey as well.
If Willi thinks he can get Ralf in a red car, it would likely end up as Fernando's number 2.

It's just about time for Ralf to commit another driving offense.
Old 8 Dec 2003, 08:10 (Ref:806442)   #17
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ralf needs to be careful...there's a glut of quick young and cheap drivers out there just waiting.
Williams should maybe swallow some pride, let Montoya go NOW and get their heir apparent in place for 2004 so that the continuity is there when Ralf leaves at the end of the year. I can't believe that there isnt a BMW suitable driver out there.
Old 8 Dec 2003, 08:28 (Ref:806449)   #18
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hmm

Only a brief glance throught history shows that holding out for financial terms against Sir FW is a non-starter. If Williams have been prepared to wave bye, bye to World Champions and see the coveted No1 on another car, they will ahve no problem losing a driver, who in relative. terms, has won a handfull of races for them.

I presume Weber is thinking that BMW will demand a German driver and naturally will want to retain Ralf, maybe not.

In anycase I am sure FW and PH are looking at adjusting Ralf's salary, but probably downwards as that is undoubtedly their favourite direction, preffering to put the maximum budget into the car.

Quite who is going to fall at Ralf's feet and keep him 'off the street' as Weber put's it, is a moot point.

For 2005 anyone seeking an inconsistent performer and sporadic race winner will have the choice of Ralf or DC.....

With plenty quick kids circling around the fringes of F1, it's a bit of dangerous game to start poker playing over contracts, IMO.
Old 8 Dec 2003, 08:59 (Ref:806467)   #19
dangeradam
Rookie

dangeradam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
[i]If Rafe wants a race winning seat, his only option will be to stay at Williams.
Or he could move to Ferrari he seems pretty good at letting Red cars overtake and or avoid challenging them.

I'd say he'd be right at home at Ferrari.
Old 8 Dec 2003, 09:06 (Ref:806470)   #20
Attila
Racer

Attila should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as the German media is concerned they are pretty sure that Ralf already has a precontract for 2005 with Toyota. Toyota wants Ralf they have publicly claimed that before.

Also, maybe Ralf is not the most consistent driver, but he is an excellent test-driver, with second to none technical feedback. He is also very very very fast when his mood is right. Combining with his experience at a very well run organization I can see that Toyota want somebody like him. He is fast and he also comes with a lot of organizational advices :-). I am surprised that nobody mentioned this before.

Cheers,
Old 8 Dec 2003, 09:32 (Ref:806479)   #21
jonathanc
Racer

jonathanc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams should let him go. He is over rated and over paid. Give MW a chance and perhaps take the risk with a rookie.

Ralf is being a bit dim as Frank is well known to give drivers the boot when they request too much cash.
Old 8 Dec 2003, 11:02 (Ref:806518)   #22
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It sounds to me like not even BMW want to pay for him to throw a sickie due to hangover or whatever it was - it would have been signed by now if it was going to be - as every thread has to link back to Jacques here's mine - expect the press conference from Willi Weber's Swiss chalet next December to say F1 has forgotten about me and I wish my teammate well as he can be World Champion.....good riddance
Old 8 Dec 2003, 11:05 (Ref:806523)   #23
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, he doesn't look very happy in the photo in the article does he?

WW is just trying to get more money out of Williams. We see it in football every day. Very similar.
Old 8 Dec 2003, 12:04 (Ref:806551)   #24
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come on Ralf -> Ferrari
Old 8 Dec 2003, 12:11 (Ref:806557)   #25
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ralf would be fine as Ferrari #2, but he doesn't have the pace to lead the team, or any top team for that matter. His performances at WIlliams have been sporadic, with Montoya improving year-on-year. His midseason run in 2003 was impressive, but until Monaco and from Hockenheim onwards he was an embarassment at times.

Wili Weber is playing a risky game by looking for improved contract terms. Not only is Frank never keen to offer increased wages (especially to a driver most of us agree is overpaid as it is), but he probably wouldn't mind removing both drivers at the end of 2004 - it may increase his determination to get a replacement in Montoya's car for 2004 though.