Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Mar 2002, 20:41 (Ref:238694)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can Arrows win?

I know that the prospects of a maiden victory for Arrows this year are slim. But do you remember how they did in 1997? They barely qualified for the first two races, but in Hungary, Damon Hill took the lead on lap 1 and would have won the race if he hadn't been slowed down on the last lap by a gearbox problem. But he still finished 2nd. This year, they have Heinz-Harald Frentzen who thrashed Damon Hill when they were teammates at Jordan in 1999. Do you think he could do as well as Hill did in 1997 and maybe even get a victory for Arrows this year?
Old 18 Mar 2002, 20:44 (Ref:238698)   #2
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This year? No chance!!They've got to go better than Ferrari, Williams, McLaren, Renault, Sauber and Toyota to aven have a remote chance of that.
Old 18 Mar 2002, 20:47 (Ref:238701)   #3
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The chances will remain pretty slim at least until they can get the car off the start line..

But seriously I don't think they have the engine or the chassis to do it. Not to mention the budget either..
Old 18 Mar 2002, 20:49 (Ref:238704)   #4
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
None, Nada, zilch. You must be new here and don't know about hte hex I put on Tom Walkinshaw.
Old 18 Mar 2002, 20:59 (Ref:238717)   #5
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could you extend that hex from F1 to V8's Valvebounce...

TWR 1,2,3, at the Clipsal 500 bored the **** outta me!

Got more fun at the Army display holding FN MAG squad support heavy machinegun, Steyr's, Rocket launchers. Took a picture of the girlfiend with a Minimi - Light support weapon weighs about 10kgs unloaded. Night vision goggles ... cool display.

Wake me when the Fords are on the podium or even a non-TWR win- pppllllleeeaaaaassseee!!!!!!!!!!! So boring.....

sorry back to F1

(V8's are making F1 look breathtakingly riveting now.)
Old 18 Mar 2002, 22:21 (Ref:238785)   #6
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Splatz - you must have fallen asleep before the last 20 laps at Adelaide, because they were absolutely sensational.
Old 18 Mar 2002, 23:47 (Ref:238820)   #7
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nobody other than Ferrari or Williams will win this year, maybe McLaren. So unless something really drastic happens, nobody else will win other than the top three. So the question should be, can Arrows compete for points?
I think definitlely! Cosworth always builds a competitve engine, up until now it's sadly been housed in the poor Jag chassis. The Arrows chassis I believe is one of the most innovative on the grid at the moment. Coughlin and Rinland have put together a beautiful and quick car. 11th on the grid, with virtually no testing is astounding.
Their race pace is good to, Bernoldi overtook Massa in what is regarded as an excellent car, and then there was the Schumacher pass. I don't really rate Bernoldi very highly, So IMO if he can be this strong under race conditions, then I can't help but think that the car is good to drive.
Once they overcome their teething problems, I expect them to be strong. Let's hope that they do some serious testing and are able to afford the development required to maintain the pace.
Signing Frentzen was a good decision, he knows how to win in a car that is not one of the top runners. A quick, steady and consistent pace is what Arrows require from their No.1 driver and who knows they just might be there in the end.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 19 Mar 2002, 00:07 (Ref:238832)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by paulzinho
This year? No chance!!They've got to go better than Ferrari, Williams, McLaren, Renault, Sauber and Toyota to aven have a remote chance of that.
and they (damon in a arrows) did go better than ferrari, mclaren, benetton, sauber etc at hungary 1997! i agree that it's an unlikely senario, but the great thing about f1 is that every now and then it throws up a result thats so obscure, that we, the forum members have to talk about it!

can any 10/10ths member say (honestly) hand on heart that before the melbourne race that they thought a jaguar, a minardi and a toyota would all score points in the same race? anyone who says they thought this would happen is kidding themselves but it happened! so to say that arrows definatly won't win this season is talking about statistics, not un-predictability!
Old 19 Mar 2002, 00:17 (Ref:238842)   #9
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
No!! I'm talking about the hex I put on Walkinshaw. Arrows won't win this year, I promise.
Old 19 Mar 2002, 01:11 (Ref:238884)   #10
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Win races? never!!!....points maybe but you can put your money that they'll definitely be better than Lauda's Jaguar
Old 19 Mar 2002, 02:53 (Ref:238921)   #11
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Before the season began, I held out some hope that HHF in the right lucky situation might come through. Given the propensity of the darned thing to stall on the grid-despite the fact that Arrows is doing a better good with the Cossie than Jag is-I am finally becoming convinced that HHF"s '99 season was a fairy tale in an otherwise mediocre career.
Old 19 Mar 2002, 06:52 (Ref:239041)   #12
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Arrows stand as much chance of winning a race as I do of reading the news for Channel 9 next year

However, Arrows will stand a chance of scoring a few points. They've got two quick drivers in HHF and Bernoldi, who are both eager for success. If things really went well for HHF, he *might* just get a shot at a podium. But a lot would have to fall his way first.
Old 19 Mar 2002, 08:50 (Ref:239085)   #13
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hungary 1997 doesn't happen every fortnight, unfortunately...I think Mr Walkinshaw will have to wait a few more years.
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 19 Mar 2002, 08:51 (Ref:239087)   #14
Dickie Thrust
Rookie

Dickie Thrust should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shouldn't this thread be re-named

"Can Arrows score a point this year"

????
Old 19 Mar 2002, 09:03 (Ref:239095)   #15
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, this year that gap between the top two/three is a lot bigger than the gap between the top teams to the midfeild in 1997...maybe in Monza, if it rained, and the BMW powered cars retired then, the powerful cosworth motors would have a chance, especially if it rains. Those Arrow's cars are always well packaged and quick on the pace.
Old 19 Mar 2002, 09:11 (Ref:239102)   #16
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
can arrows win??????
absolutely not
Old 19 Mar 2002, 09:24 (Ref:239107)   #17
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh well, who would've thought that Panis' Ligier could win at Monaco? (Hmm, actually there are rumors that one lucky guy placed a bet on him....)
Old 19 Mar 2002, 10:08 (Ref:239121)   #18
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Strange things have happened over the years.....

But right now I'd say I have a better chance of acing my electronics exam(that I failed the last time I took it) withought doing an ounce of studying.
Old 19 Mar 2002, 10:21 (Ref:239124)   #19
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not win, points very likely. Nice quick car and two good drivers. Loved Bernoldi going back at Schumi - great laugh.

Big irony with Arrows - the more they thrash Jaguar the less likely it becomes that they'll have decent engines next year! They can't win.
Old 19 Mar 2002, 11:41 (Ref:239190)   #20
Big Mac
Racer

Big Mac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Arrows wont win, BUT they will beat the jokes known as Jaguar and BAR for points this year. And its a Catch 22 for them as Glen put it.
Old 19 Mar 2002, 16:02 (Ref:239382)   #21
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a german site reported that Arrows have corected their budget, from 50 million $ to 35 million $, and they won't test any time soon(no money)
Old 19 Mar 2002, 16:19 (Ref:239387)   #22
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For Arrows to win a race, an absolutely incredible, one-time set of circumstances would have to occur. For them to score points would be only slightly less a miracle then a victory. There biggest success this year will to beat Jaguar, hopefully once Heinz gets an actual start in, we might get the odd surprise, perhaps when it rains.

If their budget is indeed 35 million, then they are going to have some real problems later in the year, when the dollars start running out. Maybe this Phoenix thing is some sort of hedge for Tom. Have you put the hex on Phoenix too, Valve? Or does Toms involvement make that a given?

TOM <<<<<<<
Old 20 Mar 2002, 14:32 (Ref:240155)   #23
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, there IS no way Arrows will win this year. Or the next. Or the NEXT, IMO.

However, isn't the new car just BEAUTIFUL???? Livery's OK, but the CAR!! Phenomenal. Really fresh approach, innovative and very attactive.

Why do Arrows make such attractive cars?? Remeber Patrese in the golden Warstiener buzz-bomb?? And Mika Salo in that black moster.... quite possily the most stunning F1 car of modern times. ANY times. I even likes the original Orange Arrows, like a missile in a straght line. SUCH a clean profile. Luverly.
Old 20 Mar 2002, 16:39 (Ref:240264)   #24
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Not a chance. Hungary 97 was a one-off, and Arrows now do not have the car or drivers to win. In 97 they had the reigning world champion who also happened to be very quick on the Hungaroring - this year it's just not happening.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 20 Mar 2002, 19:55 (Ref:240353)   #25
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf's Girl
Not a chance. Hungary 97 was a one-off, and Arrows now do not have the car or drivers to win. In 97 they had the reigning world champion who also happened to be very quick on the Hungaroring - this year it's just not happening.
i have to agree RG as damon was THE MAN around the hungaroring! however,in my earlier thread i stateded that every now and again, something so extradinary happens, that it defies belief (who'd have honestly thought that a ligier would win around monaco in '96) so although it's highly unlikely to happen, never say never......