Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 26 Jan 2005, 14:59 (Ref:1210387)   #1
P.Cummins
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
P.Cummins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it getting too late for me?

I'm 14 at the moment. I was to be a rally driver. Most lads that get into circuit racing do it via karting but I dont know what plan most of the WRC lads like Loeb, Solberg, Duval, Gardi....etc....went through to make their break and, what, in rallying, is the norm for making it into the WRC. What steps would one take?
I have a future ahead of me and I dont want to load on stuff too soon but I dont want to lie back and twiddle me thumbs doing nothing.
I'm just wondering what steps you reccomend to becoming a rally driver or steps taken by others you know.
Most of it is based on money and sponsership and, in time, that will come. Thats something I myself would have to sort out but I noticed that most track drivers started karting at my age and I'm wondering if rally driving usually takes the same path?
Old 26 Jan 2005, 16:10 (Ref:1210434)   #2
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd recommend getting involved with your local motorclub. You'll be able to learn from others and make contacts so you can be in a position to run your own car when you are old enough to drive legally (and have a job to pay the bills).
Old 26 Jan 2005, 16:19 (Ref:1210441)   #3
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
yes do the above

or buy my book

http://www.veloce.co.uk/shop/product...up=Motorsport&
Old 26 Jan 2005, 16:31 (Ref:1210446)   #4
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
Don't you mean 'and' not 'or' !
Old 26 Jan 2005, 16:43 (Ref:1210450)   #5
P.Cummins
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
OK, I'll try to get some advice from motorsport Ireland.

For those of you Irish, were is the motorsport ireland headquarters.
I have been on Dawson St lots of times and cannot find it.
Old 26 Jan 2005, 18:13 (Ref:1210537)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
PM EvilPumpkin, I'm sure she can help you.
Old 26 Jan 2005, 19:42 (Ref:1210604)   #7
P.Cummins
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
OK thanks
Old 26 Jan 2005, 21:03 (Ref:1210685)   #8
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
oh gee thanks Mallett! Now I'm motorsport directory enquiries?

P - it's on Dawson Street. It's the RIAC building. It's at the top, opposite the Shelbourne. Look for the large archway that leads into a private garage. The door next to it is the entrance.

If you're looking to get involved with any of the Motorsport clubs, you'll find a full listing of them on www.motorsportireland.com - however, I don't know what the status is in terms of age restrictions. However, they're always looking for assistance, so I'm sure someone who's willing to work and learn will be welcome.

I'm the wrong person to talk to about driver age restrictions - but I suspect that there are other branches of motorsport other than karting where you can get a licence at 14. A call to MI should clear that up.

Also, Kart is a good place to start in any case. They're back to Mondello this year, plus there are tracks in Cork, Galway, Waterford and Meath that they use. Even if it's not the branch of the sport you want to wind up in, learning the race craft, making the contacts and having some fun can never be a bad thing and you'll get all of that from Karting.
Old 26 Jan 2005, 21:40 (Ref:1210724)   #9
silver bullet
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A lot of young rally hopefulls are doing junior rallycross. Petter Solberg did rallycross when he was younger.
Old 26 Jan 2005, 22:10 (Ref:1210746)   #10
pitcrew
Racer

England
Uk
pitcrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.msauk.org/Go_motorsport/T...rallycross.htm some info on here
Old 27 Jan 2005, 08:26 (Ref:1210959)   #11
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Good advice, but you'd need quite a budget to race in a UK series. There's no junior rallyX here that I'm aware of (I'm sure rxie can correct me if I'm wrong!).

There are a lot more opportunities for under 16 drivers in the UK without doubt - but it's having the money to do it from Ireland that's the problem
Old 27 Jan 2005, 10:33 (Ref:1211066)   #12
ianpearson
Racer

ianpearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about autograss? in the uk there are races run for under sixteens in bog standard minis. I had a race in a frieinds class 4 mini, i think the entry & day membership was something £15. The whole day was something of an eye opener to pampered single seater racer though
Old 27 Jan 2005, 10:56 (Ref:1211089)   #13
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
or club or Autocross
Old 27 Jan 2005, 12:02 (Ref:1211134)   #14
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Irish Rallying

If the rally cars I have seen sprinting are anything to go by I would have thought that there is a VERY healthy rally scene in Ireland (both North and South).

There seems to be a willingness to ensure everyone is catered for and to that end there are dozens of classes to enter.

The best advise has already been given - JOIN YOUR LOCAL MOTOR CLUB!

The people will be friendly, will give you tons of advise and plenty of help.

Then if you have the talent we will all be reading about you in the comics!

Best of luck!
Old 27 Jan 2005, 19:09 (Ref:1211377)   #15
P.Cummins
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Money is also a big issue. Thanks Pumpkin for telling me where it is on Dawson St. I'll pop in and see what they say
The junior rallycross sounds really deadly but, there are little or no, facilities in Ireland for junior rallycross (or that I know of).
MiniCross springs to my mind, now.
I'll see what Motorsport Ireland (local motor club, steve ) will say. Thanks for the help.
I'm confident about starting at the right time.

Paddy
Old 27 Jan 2005, 19:16 (Ref:1211388)   #16
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Paddy, MI aren't really your local motor club. They're the governing body for the sport. The motor clubs would be the likes of Leinster MC, IMRC etc.

If it's Rallying/Rallycross you're interested in, Carlow CC and Kildare CC would be the ones you're more likely to have some success with.

I'd also suggest you get into contact with rxie as he's heavily involved in the RallyX side and might have some more suggestions for you with regard to contacts.
Old 27 Jan 2005, 20:21 (Ref:1211450)   #17
P.Cummins
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
OK, will do.
Old 27 Jan 2005, 21:25 (Ref:1211504)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We'd be interested to hear what you find out. It will help others too.
Old 27 Jan 2005, 22:01 (Ref:1211545)   #19
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And in response to your thread title "Is it getting too late for me?"

It's never too late!

And you're only 14
Old 27 Jan 2005, 22:06 (Ref:1211555)   #20
P.Cummins
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
OK, thats given me a kick-start.
Old 28 Jan 2005, 16:31 (Ref:1212103)   #21
refoman
Rookie

refoman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
personally i dont think you can beat karting.and 14 is in no way too old to start.i started karting when i was 21,took nearly 2 seasons before i won my first trophy and then in the 3rd year started spending serious money and started to win club champs etc.i finally gave up karting last year at the age of 38 and still doing well in 100cc racing to go car racing.
if nothing else karting teaches u race craft,something i have found a distinct advantage racing cars.if you watch a car race,especially at the first couple of corners you can usually tell drivers whove been karting!
and no matter what kind of motorsport you do,its expensive no matter what anyone says,but for laps per pound then you cant beat club kart racing
Old 30 Jan 2005, 18:17 (Ref:1213263)   #22
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And there's also Autotesting, don't think that was mentioned, apologies if it was!
Old 31 Jan 2005, 18:50 (Ref:1213995)   #23
P.Cummins
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
OK, I must admit that all of this has brought up my confidence.

Thanks everyone. I am still uncertain about which way and where I will start but at least I know it will happen.
Old 31 Jan 2005, 20:05 (Ref:1214042)   #24
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
The one thing I'm surprised nobody has suggested is that you get into rallying as a navigator/co-driver or whatever you want to call it. I'm not sure whether there are any age restrictions, but if there are, it could well be much lower than for drivers.
Old 31 Jan 2005, 21:00 (Ref:1214079)   #25
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
p cummings, just to get back to your first post, its never too late, ive learnt that this year, you do what you want to do!..