Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 13 Nov 2002, 18:54 (Ref:428002)   #1
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
ALMS / CART idea

Here's something:

I've noticed that CART is at Rockingham the weekend of Le Mans PQ. The week before, they've scheduled their other Euro race (track TBD). Two weeks later they're back in Chicago (tentatively). Meanwhile, ALMS is hoping to have a Euro event between PQ and Le Mans.

What if CART switched their Chicago and Euro dates, and, say, the weekend of May 17-19 they ran a Saturday CART race and Sunday ALMS 6h at Spa?

- Spa would have to be available
- CART would have to be able to hang around in Europe for two weeks instead of one
- could Chicago bear racing in late April? I know nothing of Lake Michigan weather...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 14 Nov 2002, 07:20 (Ref:428305)   #2
Big Mac
Racer

Big Mac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats got some serious merit paul. I'd love to see that, CART and ALMS around Spa. It would make for a get weekend of racing that for sure. How well did CART and ALMS co-habitate in Miami does anybody know? Pit space would not be an issue at Spa. You could have ALMS in the old pits with CART in the F1 pits.
Old 14 Nov 2002, 09:21 (Ref:428348)   #3
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Mac
I'd love to see that, CART and ALMS around Spa.
Isn't there still this agreement that CART can only run oval races in Europe because this is F1 territory?
Old 14 Nov 2002, 13:34 (Ref:428478)   #4
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
When Lausitzring fell off the schedule, CART was casting around for a second European venue, and the rumour was that CART and F1 agreed that CART could race on road tracks not on the F1 schedule - Brands Hatch was a popular choice for the rumours.

Since Spa was unceremoniously dumped by F1, surely it would be eligible, should this agreement be more than a rumour.

Of course, all the "Bernie buys CART" talk a month or so ago would have reinforced this. CART fans are awaiting an apparent avalanche of announcements in the next couple of weeks (after the season end, and up to or during the end-of-season banquet).
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 15 Nov 2002, 17:14 (Ref:429364)   #5
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This would be great if it happens at Spa, it may even make the ALMS the biggest sportscar event at Spa, the Spa 24hrs this year attracted 100,000ppl so I read, with CART and the ALMS there it may top that in attendance figures. Now the question is would a CART car be able to Eau Rouge flat?
Old 15 Nov 2002, 17:37 (Ref:429374)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When Bernie lost to the EU on the anti-competition front, the "F1 Gets To Say Where Other Series Race" clause was deleted.

CART can race anywhere it wants to now.
Old 15 Nov 2002, 17:53 (Ref:429393)   #7
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, but the FIA can still screw them over by making trouble for CART and IMSA-friendly tracks... Taking them off the calendars of major international series, making trouble for them when their liscenses have to be renewed...
Old 16 Nov 2002, 12:51 (Ref:429896)   #8
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Do the FIA have any control over the IMSA run ALMS? I didnt think it actually did. I thought the 2 govering bodies in that series are the ACO and IMSA. I dont know about CART though...
Old 24 Nov 2002, 03:03 (Ref:435610)   #9
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Bump.

CART is apparently in final negotiations with Spa, Estoril and Brands Hatch. Their dates may be too early for ALMS' desires, but at least Don P should be talking to Chris P. Pleeeease!

-Bill James
Old 24 Nov 2002, 03:23 (Ref:435614)   #10
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Even if the ALMS dosent do a double header with CART just yet I will still travel to Spa to see CART race there. That would be fantastic to see. Still im still hoping the ALMS will do a double header with CART.
Old 24 Nov 2002, 12:15 (Ref:435742)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be going to Spa as well if they race there, particularly if they race during the IRL 500. I have always wanted to see Spa and it'd make a great point too.

I saw the ALMS cars at Donington Park and I would recommend that to anybody. Brands would be equally great I'm sure.