Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 7 Jan 2003, 16:12 (Ref:466403)   #1
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The IndyCar Series!

today, IRL president Tony George announced that thier racing series will now be known as "The IndyCar Series"

The Indy Racing League name is now to be used for the sanctioning body.

this was totally out of the blue for me, did anyone know about it? Also, do you think one of you lovely admins could change the name of this forum, in light of this change pleeeese?
Old 7 Jan 2003, 16:22 (Ref:466414)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We knew that neither side was allowed to use 'IndyCars' until 31st December 2002, and Tony George owns the Indy name, so its no surprise that he's using this in his attmept to mislead the US public into thinking that this is the true racing spectacle.
Old 7 Jan 2003, 18:07 (Ref:466500)   #3
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indy Racing League Indy Car Series is the new name. The IRL becomes the sanctioning body for the Indy Car Series and the Infinity Pro Series. Sounds pretty clever to me.

This will help to resolve the misundestanding of what drivers are in the 500 and what drivers are not. Casual US fans will understand this. Now if CART schedules races in May there will be no CART drivers at Indy in 2003, furthering the divide. If Haas has a lot of Toyota engines he might want to race at Indy as well? Who knows, but Pook doesn't seem in any position to say no to him.

CART's popularity derived from drivers such as Rutherford, Sneva, Foyt, Mears, Fitapaldi, Unsers, Andretti's... Why were these drivers so popular? They won the Indianapolis 500. If AJ Foyt won 4 Road races in Cleveland or Portland instead of 4 Indy 500's - no one would America would care. Most US racing fans also would not care if CART ceased to exist. If the Indianapolis 500 ceased to exist they would take notice.
Old 7 Jan 2003, 18:22 (Ref:466513)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, judging by the president you elected in a semi-fair ballot, America isn't the world's most intellectually advanced nation, so that's no surprise.

Most of the guys you mention won the Indycar title (be it USAC or CART) before the 500 anyway. Montoya was a hero in the US in 1999, not after the 2000 500. Zanardi's popularity was not impinged on by the fact that he never raced the 500, instead spending the month winning road races.

Most of the guys with an interest in the 500 and IRL have already gone, so I doubt there would be much interest, outside Haas and maybe Adrian Fernandez, in runing the 500 anyway from within Champcars.
Old 7 Jan 2003, 18:48 (Ref:466532)   #5
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shall the board name be changed to IRL IndyCar Series? It should...
Old 7 Jan 2003, 23:06 (Ref:466803)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
interesting , I guess it was bound to happen , TG owns the name , its a name that makes people sit up and take notice , so of course he was always going to use it.

as for changing the forum name I will look into it
Old 7 Jan 2003, 23:26 (Ref:466825)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
the forum name has now been changed to "the IRL Indycar series forum"
Old 8 Jan 2003, 00:12 (Ref:466885)   #8
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I could post something negative about the IRL here but I won't
Old 8 Jan 2003, 07:31 (Ref:467046)   #9
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I could see a name change of some sort coming when the Infiniti Pro Series started and the IRL was listed sanctioning body for the class. Makes sense as these cars do race at Indy, and good to see the 'Indycar' name in use again.
Old 9 Jan 2003, 20:04 (Ref:468769)   #10
botsquad
Veteran

botsquad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Well, judging by the president you elected in a semi-fair ballot, America isn't the world's most intellectually advanced nation, so that's no surprise.
wow....boots, you are so mean......
we give the world mikey jackson and the supreams....

and you cheap shot us....

it's a national outrage.
Old 13 Jan 2003, 16:08 (Ref:473157)   #11
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love the name INDYCAR , im not sure who morally has the right to use the name , but i think it is a great ttitle for series in the USA.........it kinda holds some wieght .
Old 13 Jan 2003, 17:47 (Ref:473256)   #12
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well. It's appropiate. The race that makes the whole championship move is the Indy 500, so they are Indycars...
Old 14 Jan 2003, 06:19 (Ref:473629)   #13
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not to be rude but I think it's too bad that TG decided to use it. To me, IndyCar used to mean the top of the stack, the fastest race cars in the world. It doesn't mean that any more. Bummer. Oh well, change is inevitable!
Old 15 Jan 2003, 19:17 (Ref:475445)   #14
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rush1
CART's popularity derived from drivers such as Rutherford, Sneva, Foyt, Mears, Fitapaldi, Unsers, Andretti's... Why were these drivers so popular? They won the Indianapolis 500. If AJ Foyt won 4 Road races in Cleveland or Portland instead of 4 Indy 500's - no one would America would care. Most US racing fans also would not care if CART ceased to exist. If the Indianapolis 500 ceased to exist they would take notice.
I agree with what you've said (except that Michael wonm - assuming the apostrophe was a typo), but I think IRL/Indy Car Series could cease to exist any few would notice/care, as long the indy 500 continued.

Not trying to start an arguement but as a racing fan do you personally consider an Indy 500 win better than a win at Michigan or Fontana? JV's '95 indy victory was great because he came from 2 laps down and stuck it to the man. Other than that it was no better than his other 3 wins that year.

Last edited by Snrub; 15 Jan 2003 at 19:19.
Old 15 Jan 2003, 22:30 (Ref:475678)   #15
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
It all depends on points of view and opinion. Any win in F1 or CART (road courses) is better than the Indy 500. Why? It has right turns.

Quote by Barry Green after his driver Franchitti had won at Surfers Paradise'99: "Mate, I've won the Indy 500 but this is better"
Old 16 Jan 2003, 00:58 (Ref:475801)   #16
rush1
Veteran

I guess it comes down to drivers preference. The stakes for teams and sponsors to perform at Indianapolis is huge. The Purse is bigger than any other race and the media scrutiny is intense. Traditions like 4 days of qualifying, and 4 lap qualifying runs pose unique challenges to drivers. The intensity builds up till its finally released on race day.

I would say a driver who overcomes all this to win exibits a certain grace under pressure and is mentally tough to say the least.

Snrub you mention JV's 1995 victory. JV's win was extraordinary but it would not have happened if Vasser didn't crash while leading and Scott Goodyear passed the pace car under the yellow flag. Vasser and Goodyear could not deal with the pressure, Villeneuve could.

I am not surprised Green said that. Alot of people spit on the 500 during the civil war, most have come back to the speedway with their tail beneath their legs. And I doubt Barry Green would spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to protest a race at Surfurs Paradise.
Old 16 Jan 2003, 03:07 (Ref:475881)   #17
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Barry Green is from New Zealand also. So for him winning Surfers is the next best thing to winning the Australian Grand Prix. And the old Tasman series is long dead.

To Americans Indy is the Mecca. I grew up on road racing, big Jim Hall fan. But Indy was even then the one oval race I cared about.

Indycar is the name fans associate with. Champcars is a name that takes some explanation, but was what Mario, Big Al, Sneva, Mears and Johncock called them. It is bizzarre to separate them. But I think this is temporary. CART has perhaps 15 months of cash. Then oblivion. Even if it doesn't go extinc, it is fairly obvious that Pook intends to largely abandon the US. A feeder series for F1 by definition will be Eurocentric. A London HQ seems inevitable.

Such semantics are sily. I am looking forward to watching some great racing on the Indycar circuit this year. Sheckter, de Ferran, Hornish, Andretti, Brack, Sharp, Kanaan, Castroneves, Unser, Rice, Franchitti, et al. WOW!
Old 16 Jan 2003, 07:20 (Ref:475947)   #18
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think a part of Barry's emotion that day was the fact that his whole family was there that weekend...
Old 16 Jan 2003, 10:08 (Ref:476024)   #19
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by sgw2
Barry Green is from New Zealand also. So for him winning Surfers is the next best thing to winning the Australian Grand Prix. And the old Tasman series is long dead.
How could you confuse the two countries! New Zealand, thats an insult

Baz is from Bunbury, WA, Australia, No Fush und Chups there

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 16 Jan 2003, 14:21 (Ref:476236)   #20
gofastturnleft
Rookie

gofastturnleft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh please.

There are a few million folks in America who could tell you at the drop of a hat one race that JV has won. If one out of every thousand of those people could name another race he has won I'd be astounded. The Indy 500 will still be running and drawing 400,000 fans to the Speedway each May long after those other races are little more than fleeting memories.

Yeah, and Barry Green never let politics cloud his comments.

Dan
Old 16 Jan 2003, 18:20 (Ref:476419)   #21
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Well. The fact is the Indy 500 was here long before we were born and will be here long after we're dead...

But maybe the problem now is that most "new" American fans regard Daytona or Bristol as the race of the year, which is not good for either CART or the IRL.
Old 16 Jan 2003, 19:19 (Ref:476502)   #22
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree Jordi.

It may actually be a good thing if Pook takes CART HQ to Europe as a replacement series for F3000 (the current F1 feeder). Americans will then focus on one OW series again. Every extra day the split remains is a victory for NASCAR.
Old 17 Jan 2003, 00:32 (Ref:476762)   #23
rush1
Veteran

yes get pbtccwspbf out of the states - let it play second fiddle to F1 in europe.
Old 17 Jan 2003, 08:43 (Ref:476968)   #24
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gtr69
How could you confuse the two countries! New Zealand, thats an insult

Baz is from Bunbury, WA, Australia, No Fush und Chups there
Steady on GTR 69! We're sure not claiming him . Unlike you Aussies who will claim any good kiwi as an aussie.
Old 17 Jan 2003, 10:53 (Ref:477021)   #25
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Absolutely, but you can have Greg Murphy back now