Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 13 Apr 2005, 19:04 (Ref:1277415)   #1
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best Gloves?

Can anyone offer a recommendation of Ringers Extrication Gloves, or similar?

I'm after a new pair, am sick of cheap, nasty tat. I've had Mecanix gloves, and they're too lightweight.

Help?
Old 13 Apr 2005, 19:21 (Ref:1277430)   #2
Whitestar
Rookie

England
England
Whitestar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Riggers are very good I have 2 pairs which are 3 yrs old and still going good. with gel impact pads . As for the extrication gloves Good for on the bank. But i work more on Rescue and Doctors car.
Old 13 Apr 2005, 20:07 (Ref:1277491)   #3
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitestar
Riggers are very good I have 2 pairs which are 3 yrs old and still going good. with gel impact pads . As for the extrication gloves Good for on the bank. But i work more on Rescue and Doctors car.
Me=rescue too!
Old 13 Apr 2005, 21:57 (Ref:1277590)   #4
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
i used Mechanix gloves and found them to be good.
You didn,t say what you were using them for?
Rescue or general marshalling duties.
i,ve been on rescue for about five years or so and i,ve found you need quite a bit of dexterity so thick gloves ai,nt no good.This year i changed to the Ringer Extrication gloves and up to now they seem fine.
What a lot of people don,t realise is the Ringer gloves give NO protection against fire so if you on the bank you paying £40 odd quid for something that could cause you serious harm.
Old 13 Apr 2005, 22:27 (Ref:1277622)   #5
Andrew Palmer
Veteran

England
Peterborough
Andrew Palmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I use Ringers, they are good for both bank work and rescue!

Yes I agree for fire fighting they are not fire proof but are heat resistant. So for fire training I wear the good old welders gloves but normally I wear my Ringers. As for dexterity they are good the only other thing to look at is they are not blood proof so you may need to wear a pair of rubber gloves under them.
Old 13 Apr 2005, 22:55 (Ref:1277645)   #6
Jennifer_ni
Clears incidents with the POWER OF HER MIND!
Racer

Ireland
Co-Kildare
Jennifer_ni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJennifer_ni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recommend ringers personally!! I used the good old welders gloves for about 2 years and i bought a pair of ringers back in jan and i swear by them!!
Old 14 Apr 2005, 07:18 (Ref:1277778)   #7
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
Thanks - will order a pair of Ringers!
Old 14 Apr 2005, 07:33 (Ref:1277782)   #8
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ringers "Corner Worker" / "Extrication" for rescue and bank work.
Mechanix for flagging.

Problem is that the Mechanix I have are the short cuff ones so I'm not happy about having my wrists exposed when I'm on rescue.
Old 14 Apr 2005, 16:05 (Ref:1278136)   #9
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Get a ringers pair one size larger than you need. That way you can get 'em off faster or have a light pair of nomex/cotton gloves underneath.
Old 14 Apr 2005, 19:55 (Ref:1278313)   #10
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I love my ringers gloves! And they were a bargain at the AS show!
Old 14 Apr 2005, 20:38 (Ref:1278346)   #11
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezza
I love my ringers gloves! And they were a bargain at the AS show!
Me too! The good thing about them from my point of view is that I can write pit reports without having to take them off (something you can't do wearing welder's gauntlets!)
Old 14 Apr 2005, 21:40 (Ref:1278399)   #12
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Depends on what you're doing. Having got the scar from a burn on my fingers while wearing welders type gloves, there's no way I'd attend an incident where I'm going to be hands on without having gloves that I can get off quickly.

FYI the incident was a heavily damaged and inverted F3 where, in trying to find something to hold while we attempted to lift the car, I gripped the exhaust pipe (which was quite difficult to identify given the condition of the car). The glove gave me good initial protection and came off instantly it became uncomfortable. One of my gloves also carries the mark of a piece of carbon fibre which sliced 2/3rds of the way through the material without my knowing it. As with any equipment, your choice will change according to the job you're doing on the day.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 18:55 (Ref:1281497)   #13
TINDALLS
Rookie

TINDALLS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you our looking for a good pair of work gloves i would say use Firemaster, not only will they keep you fingers warm in the winter but with there leather outer shell and kevlar lining will also give you great protection incase of fire. They our also very good at keeping your hands dry in the rain with there Gore-Crosstec water proof insert. I have a pair and would not use anything else. Visit www.southcombe.co.uk to see there full range. Hope this helps
Old 18 Apr 2005, 19:24 (Ref:1281523)   #14
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Firemaster, excellent gloves.

Too thick to wear for Rescue though and can't be removed that quickly which I was always told was a really good idea!

Not because of fire you understand but in case somebody has donuts!
Old 19 Jun 2007, 22:42 (Ref:1942119)   #15
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have been googling my fingers off trying to find the Ringers Extrication Gloves in the UK. Can I find them? Can I b................

Does anyone know anywhere that does them in the UK?
Old 20 Jun 2007, 00:36 (Ref:1942162)   #16
Eric Ridler
Racer

United Kingdom
Timperley,Cheshire
Eric Ridler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You are looking in the wrong place - Ringers are the name of the gloves.

The UK company that supplies Marshals is Nimbus Motorsport :-

http://www.nimbusmotorsport.com

For you rescue guys ringers now produce a version of the extrication glove which is blood resistant. Not sure whether Nimbus are importing it yet but it is worth asking.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 01:02 (Ref:1942169)   #17
danccooke
Veteran

England
West Sussex
danccooke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a pair of Mechanix Air gloves that stay on all the time, they are good for light use general pushing sweeping, pulling pins on fire bottles, but i also have a pair of Gauntlets (tucked into my belt)that i can get on whilst also wearing the Mechanix gloves for anything looking hot, sharp, nasty. takes two seconds to put them on whilst running if need be, and a fraction of a second to flick them off.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 07:39 (Ref:1942292)   #18
Garry Holmes
Racer

Garry Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Southcombe were great - very quick delivery and they sell a wide range of gloves. Apparently the firemaster are standard fire service issue, however they do soak up the water a bit when it rains. They also do a pair of pathogen and blood proof paramedic gloves for the rescue types out there.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 09:40 (Ref:1942360)   #19
Robin_D
Veteran

Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cheers, Eric!

They a bloomin' pricey though! £50!?!
Old 20 Jun 2007, 09:52 (Ref:1942366)   #20
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_D
They a bloomin' pricey though! £50!?!
Yeah, they are expensive, but it's like anything, you decide how much you're willing to pay for your tools. Ringers aren't cheap but they do last pretty well, mine just started to have some of the stitching go after about 200 days of marshaling.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 10:05 (Ref:1942377)   #21
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I like Ringers' gloves because they're sexy and give you that much needed air of sophistication and elegance needed when poncing about on the tarmac. My only gripes are: they are a tad tight. I wouldn't like to try getting them off in a hurry, and they are not waterproof. Despite using Nikwax, Suede sealant and the like they absorb rainwater like a blotter, so I keep a pair of waterproof vinyl gloves handy.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 10:13 (Ref:1942383)   #22
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersix
I like Ringers' gloves because they're sexy and give you that much needed air of sophistication and elegance needed when poncing about on the tarmac. My only gripes are: they are a tad tight. I wouldn't like to try getting them off in a hurry, and they are not waterproof. Despite using Nikwax, Suede sealant and the like they absorb rainwater like a blotter, so I keep a pair of waterproof vinyl gloves handy.
Yeah, they are not good in the wet, but at least unlike the red welders gauntlets they don't give you The Red Hand Of New Gloves In The Rain!
Old 20 Jun 2007, 11:46 (Ref:1942446)   #23
Robin_D
Veteran

Warwickshire, UK
I had a pair when I first started and unfortunately (stupidly) left them on post once.

I had a look at Websites in the USA and they are uber cheap about 25 - 30 quid.

What other gloves are recommended for incident/snatch? (Just to keep the options open)
Old 20 Jun 2007, 12:19 (Ref:1942476)   #24
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_D
I had a look at Websites in the USA and they are uber cheap about 25 - 30 quid.
Yeah, and probably end up costing close to £45 by the time postage is added Hmmm, I wonder if they have any "off the shelf" stockists for when I'm in Vegas
Old 20 Jun 2007, 22:00 (Ref:1942942)   #25
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gloves - ? Ah yes I remember those; they are the things you take off when you actually have to do anything.

Joking but only partly so.

I have tried all sorts over the years and have a pair of Ringers (or similar). I don't find them very useful, too difficult to put on or take off. Too flimsy actually to resist anything sharp.

I most often use a thin pair of leather ones from a garden centre. At about £9 they suit me.

Of course for handling anything really dangerous, you need a trainee. (If not available then another crew member will do nearly as well.)

Regards

Jim