Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Oct 2007, 05:48 (Ref:2029558)   #1
tony griffiths
Racer

United Kingdom
california
tony griffiths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spending the fine...

With the questionable fines ... why not do something constructive ...... build Silverstone into what Bernie and Max really want ?
Old 3 Oct 2007, 06:22 (Ref:2029563)   #2
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why Silverstone and not somewhere else?
Old 3 Oct 2007, 06:45 (Ref:2029572)   #3
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Are the people behind silverstone so incapable and desperate?

i sure hope not.
Old 3 Oct 2007, 07:31 (Ref:2029600)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
and give the cash to something JYS is involved in (albeit less so now). Max won't agree with that.

I don't really see why Silverstone is that more deserving than some other things, but if they did that then fair enough. Unlikely that it is.

However the general point that it goes back into the sport is a good one. There was a press release about what it may be spent on, but it needed approval.
Old 3 Oct 2007, 09:06 (Ref:2029679)   #5
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony griffiths
With the questionable fines ... why not do something constructive ...... build Silverstone into what Bernie and Max really want ?
I get the impression that Bernie really doesn't want Silverstone to have a race at all.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 3 Oct 2007, 09:15 (Ref:2029682)   #6
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
I get the impression that Bernie really doesn't want Silverstone to have a race at all.
If he genuinely wanted to remove Silverstone from the calendar he would have done so.
Old 3 Oct 2007, 09:17 (Ref:2029683)   #7
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
He isn't very supportive of attempts by the BRDC to improve it, though, which suggests to me that he wouldn't mind seeing the back of it.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 3 Oct 2007, 09:24 (Ref:2029688)   #8
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
He isn't very supportive of attempts by the BRDC to improve it, though, which suggests to me that he wouldn't mind seeing the back of it.
I think he'd like to see the back of the BRDC, but not the circuit. I think he's aware of the importance of having a British Grand Prix.
Old 3 Oct 2007, 13:27 (Ref:2029881)   #9
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Silverstone is one circuit that Bernie really want to be kept on the calendar in the long term.

He just wants it all his own ways. A track that lives up to the standards of others, while keeping it at Silverstone. He just isn't impressed with the way BRDC has failed to make much grounds in doing anything.

If Bernie can have his wish come true, Silverstone will be a super circuit with the latest technologies and best facilities... sort of the "standard" which other circuits will aspire. But problem is, he wishes... yet doesn't want to put his own money into realising it.
Old 3 Oct 2007, 14:50 (Ref:2029934)   #10
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
IMO Bernie would happily put his own money into it but the BRDC won't sell him to him and that's what naffs him off!
Old 3 Oct 2007, 17:41 (Ref:2030055)   #11
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it should be written in to the regulations that any season without a race in any country that had one in 1950 except if there is legal reasons is null and void.

There should be a British, French, Italian, Belgian and Monaco Grand Prix every year. End of. Even if they have to hold it in a track marked out by cones in the car park of somewhere. Ideally those five would be worth double points, but hey that won't really happen.
Old 3 Oct 2007, 18:04 (Ref:2030073)   #12
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
I think it should be written in to the regulations that any season without a race in any country that had one in 1950 except if there is legal reasons is null and void.
They didn't visit Belgium in 2006 did they?

Oh no, duke-toaster is the latest Brit to try and cheat Alonso out of a title.
Old 3 Oct 2007, 18:43 (Ref:2030117)   #13
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
They didn't visit Belgium in 2006 did they?

Oh no, duke-toaster is the latest Brit to try and cheat Alonso out of a title.
I forgot the in future bit - it won't be a retrospective measure, but just a matter of those GPs will be undroppable from the calendar.
Old 3 Oct 2007, 18:49 (Ref:2030123)   #14
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
I forgot the in future bit - it won't be a retrospective measure, but just a matter of those GPs will be undroppable from the calendar.
Pretty big bargaining tool for the circuit that is only capable of holding a Formula 1 Grand Prix in the country's favour don't you think?

The constant threat of pulling the event, usually exercised on other countries (France, Belgium, Italy) works far better for the FIA in it's Silverstone discussions I think - and that's the reality of the situation.

Silverstone will always be under threat by the FIA, until some other circuit actually becomes that threat instead.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 10:49 (Ref:2030684)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
We are moving house in 4 weeks (hopefully), if Max and Bernie are looking for somewhere to "off-load" some cash, i'm sure my mortgage supplier would be more than gratefull
Old 4 Oct 2007, 16:02 (Ref:2031010)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The money from the fine could do so much good for grass-roots motorsport - really helping disadvantaged kids to get their start in the sport. Spending it on circuit facilities is one way, but funding a year's karting or junior racing for 20-40 talented youngsters would be far better.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 16:13 (Ref:2031023)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It should be used as compensation towards JYS after the recent barrage of abuse hurled upon him by Mosley.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 16:14 (Ref:2031024)   #18
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Is he really so offended that he needs $100 million as compensation?
Old 4 Oct 2007, 16:15 (Ref:2031026)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No, but it'd be amusing to see Max handing over the cheque.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 22:49 (Ref:2031410)   #20
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Is he really so offended that he needs $100 million as compensation?
Depends if he was to sue in the USA or the rest of the world

About 2 years ago, i'm sure i remember a story of someone in America trying to sue a dry cleaning company for about $6million because they burned his trousers.
Old 5 Oct 2007, 03:36 (Ref:2031537)   #21
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
And what is wrong with that? They were very expensive pants..
Old 5 Oct 2007, 11:47 (Ref:2031895)   #22
NiG_21
Racer

United Kingdom
Shepperton, Middlesex
NiG_21 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
The money from the fine could do so much good for grass-roots motorsport - really helping disadvantaged kids to get their start in the sport.
...I feel the irony may be that this may just fill the gap left when Mclaren cancel thier young driver schemes and scholarships to fund the fine...